Fastbreak Offense Tips Topic

Just took over a fastbreak offense team, so I'm looking for some tips.  I've always read on the forums that for the most part triangle, flex, and motion offenses are pretty interchangeable with only minor differences.  Its my understanding that with fastbreak LP and PER don't matter quite as much as with other offenses, while ATH and SPD are more important.  Obviously stamina is more important, as I would assume is also the case for BH and passing with guards.  Should I now be paying closer attention to BH and passing for my big men?

As far as setting a tempo goes, is fastbreak similar to the other offenses?  I find it odd that running a slow-down fastbreak offense is even an option.  Is running fast-paced against a bad defensive pressing team advisable, or is that a recipe for turnovers?

Thanks, any tips and help is appreciated!
6/12/2013 5:41 PM
While it's true that ath and spd are more important than other offense, do not believe that lp and per aren't still important.  Teams will still pack it inside if you have no outside shooting.  And my #2 all time scorer was a guard with very little per, but a high lp and he could score at will.  I have a theory that passing is important for big men in the fb (get the rebound and start the break better), but I haven't done anything in the way of tracking it.

There is no such thing as slowdown fastbreak.  If you choose slowdown, the engine will default to normal.  

What defense will you be running?  I find the fcp to be the best defense for fb, because then ath/spd/stamina that you're so invested in on an offensive end are also of the utmost important on the defensive end.  

6/12/2013 7:29 PM
udm_mike +1
6/12/2013 7:36 PM
Posted by udm_mike on 6/12/2013 7:29:00 PM (view original):
While it's true that ath and spd are more important than other offense, do not believe that lp and per aren't still important.  Teams will still pack it inside if you have no outside shooting.  And my #2 all time scorer was a guard with very little per, but a high lp and he could score at will.  I have a theory that passing is important for big men in the fb (get the rebound and start the break better), but I haven't done anything in the way of tracking it.

There is no such thing as slowdown fastbreak.  If you choose slowdown, the engine will default to normal.  

What defense will you be running?  I find the fcp to be the best defense for fb, because then ath/spd/stamina that you're so invested in on an offensive end are also of the utmost important on the defensive end.  

Thank you, this was very helpful.  My defense is man to man.
6/12/2013 7:44 PM
You are gonna need 11+ players. I love to rs kids but my best teams are when I go 12 deep.

I think you need at least one outside threat, ft shooting is a huge boost, and don't be afraid to play three guards.

Any defense works well because speed, ath and defense are cor e s for them all but fcp is the best.

I normally play uptempo just to draw more fouls.

Speed, defense and math all the way.
6/12/2013 7:44 PM
Like any other system there are several different ways to be successful. I look for more speed at the 3 and4 than most coaches of other systems. Also if you run slowdown it will run as normal pace. I value depth over stamina but in a perfect world I'd have both. I look at my stamina in the 2or3 deep average instead of on a player by player basis bc it doesn't make much sense to not recruit a stud bc he doesn't mean your stamina requirements
6/12/2013 7:45 PM
I'm kind of wondering why this guy didn't have a better offensive season than he did.  I was expecting big things from him in the fastbreak, being >75 in ATH, SPD, and BH.  Instead of being my #2 scorer like I had him pegged at the beginning of the season, he ended up being more of a defense guy.  I know he didn't necessarily have a bad offensive season, but it wasn't what I expected.  Thanks for the help!
7/10/2013 7:33 PM
clouseb,

Your man McQueen has a 1 for LP and only a 59 for PER. So he can't score inside very well unless he beats his man, and he doesn't have a great outside shot either.

If he was at DIII or even DII it wouldn't matter, but at DI I think he'd need more PER and/or LP to be a great scorer.
7/11/2013 2:37 PM
Posted by bistiza on 7/11/2013 2:37:00 PM (view original):
clouseb,

Your man McQueen has a 1 for LP and only a 59 for PER. So he can't score inside very well unless he beats his man, and he doesn't have a great outside shot either.

If he was at DIII or even DII it wouldn't matter, but at DI I think he'd need more PER and/or LP to be a great scorer.
He is a D2 guy though.
7/11/2013 2:44 PM
I still think the LP and PER cost him the ability to score more and more efficiently.

7/11/2013 3:08 PM
my guy is similar (http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2348564) and he's turned into a beast...your guy should be putting up better #'s...but then again, i play him at sf, and he just blows past slower and less ath #3's.
7/11/2013 3:50 PM
ST might be a little bit of an issue for McQueen.  73 -> 78 during the season, and that's less than ideal for a Fastbreak guard.  At least in my limited experience with FB.
7/11/2013 4:00 PM
Posted by clouseb on 7/10/2013 7:33:00 PM (view original):
I'm kind of wondering why this guy didn't have a better offensive season than he did.  I was expecting big things from him in the fastbreak, being >75 in ATH, SPD, and BH.  Instead of being my #2 scorer like I had him pegged at the beginning of the season, he ended up being more of a defense guy.  I know he didn't necessarily have a bad offensive season, but it wasn't what I expected.  Thanks for the help!
I think think the long and short of it is he isn't good enough. Stats in the 70s are good at d2 but in the glv, everyone else has guys that good as well. I usually have 2 or 3 of guys like that on my d2 team. To be an elite scorer think 85 speed and 85 ball handling.
7/14/2013 1:07 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/14/2013 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by clouseb on 7/10/2013 7:33:00 PM (view original):
I think think the long and short of it is he isn't good enough. Stats in the 70s are good at d2 but in the glv, everyone else has guys that good as well. I usually have 2 or 3 of guys like that on my d2 team. To be an elite scorer think 85 speed and 85 ball handling.
Thanks for the help.  So what you're saying is, to be an elite scorer without the help of LP or PER, a guard in the FB needs at least 85 SPD/BH?  Do you consider SPD more important than ATH once they are both over 75 (in regards to scoring ability only)?
7/14/2013 1:53 PM
Yes and yes.

Also, I think the high speed and ball handling works well in all offenses but is best in fast break.
7/14/2013 2:05 PM
12 Next ▸
Fastbreak Offense Tips Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.