Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

"Bea[ting] in a legitimate argument" requires some measure of objective analysis. If you subjectively believe you're always right regardless of the validity of a counterargument, you will never think you have been "beat." I'm confident even if you were objectively analyzed to be wrong by an indepedent observer, you still wouldn't admit you had been "beat."

So what's the point?
6/19/2013 10:26 AM
Posted by ike1024 on 6/19/2013 8:57:00 AM (view original):

I would love to see colonels v. bistiza battle to a forum death. Loser goes home.

The delusions of analytical thought would be epic.

We would need old colonels, at least now he, although stubborn, makes decent arguments and is not completely irrational.

PS I've missed out on a lot of this thread after my earlier comments but I find the bis comments on karma to be outrageously funny. I don't think bis understands how the idea of karma works. Also, the idea that professional athletes have some kind of obligation to their fans is a bunch of crap. Also, by all accounts LeBron is not a piece of **** person. Cry baby to the refs? Absolutely. Was The Decision self-indulgent? You bet. Piece of **** person? Not really sure how he got to that.

PPS- Cleveland is not LeBron's hometown.
6/19/2013 11:00 AM
Honestly, I'm more open minded than most of the people I've interacted with on this board.  l have yet to see most of them indicate they've even considered a stance other than their own personal view on issues, which typically is the "majority" viewpoint.  It makes me wonder if some people have ANY critical thinking skills or, at the minimum, the willingness to stand up for anything other than a "majority" view.
You stated outright about 6 months ago that we weren't going to change any of your beliefs, as posted, because if you post about something you've considered it in such depth that you are convinced of your position.  Or something to that effect.  Now you're the open-minded one?  Give me a break.

Have you ever even remotely considered the fact that MAYBE the reason literally nobody else understands most of your arguments is that they aren't quite as strong as you think they are?  Because in the face of that much evidence, never even considering that possibility would make you kind of an idiot.  Even if you weren't wrong about anything.
6/19/2013 1:42 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/19/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, I'm more open minded than most of the people I've interacted with on this board.  l have yet to see most of them indicate they've even considered a stance other than their own personal view on issues, which typically is the "majority" viewpoint.  It makes me wonder if some people have ANY critical thinking skills or, at the minimum, the willingness to stand up for anything other than a "majority" view.
You stated outright about 6 months ago that we weren't going to change any of your beliefs, as posted, because if you post about something you've considered it in such depth that you are convinced of your position.  Or something to that effect.  Now you're the open-minded one?  Give me a break.

Have you ever even remotely considered the fact that MAYBE the reason literally nobody else understands most of your arguments is that they aren't quite as strong as you think they are?  Because in the face of that much evidence, never even considering that possibility would make you kind of an idiot.  Even if you weren't wrong about anything.
C'mon dahs, it's obviously because he's the only real critical thinker in the world. The rest of us are just posers.
6/19/2013 2:14 PM
I watched last night with the goal of getting to see LeBron cry.  Even though I didn't get to see the big finale from a Heat loss, he did cry about 18 times during the game when he was touched without a foul being called. 
6/19/2013 2:45 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 6/19/2013 7:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 6/19/2013 12:52:00 AM (view original):
The Spurs blew their chance at a championship tonight.  They had that game won a couple of different times and let it slip away.  Up 5 with 28.2, miss a key free throw in there, fail to grab two rebounds that would have all but iced it, not to mention being up double digits heading into the period anyway.  Then in OT, they had a chance to take control and go up 4 but Parker split his free throw attempts, and Ginobili was nothing but a turnover machine all night.  Always been a Duncan fan and really wanted to see him get his ring for his thumb, but that was their best chance tonight.  After all the energy, blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention a vintage TD line),  I think their chances of stealing game 7 in Miami are just about nil.  Hate to see the crybabies from Miami (does ANYONE cry about getting fouled more than Dwyane Wade?) win another ring, but it looks like they'll get their second in a row. 
It's not just Wade, it's LeBron too. There were back to back plays late in the 4th where both Wade and LeBron stayed on the other end on the floor looking for a foul call, and both times the Spurs got layups before those two got up court. It makes no sense. If you don't get a call, staying down for a long time with your hands out pleading for a call isn't going to make the ref blow the whistle in retrospect.
Agreed.  LeBron is bad, but Wade is by far the worst.
6/19/2013 4:11 PM
Must be nice to never be wrong and to always have all the answers.  Or is it a curse?
6/19/2013 4:27 PM
It's just off the wall for anyone to think karma would somehow equate leaving a team to having them suffer a career ending injury.
6/19/2013 4:39 PM
Posted by bistiza on 6/19/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):
It's just off the wall for anyone to think karma would somehow equate leaving a team to having them suffer a career ending injury.

The argument involved far more than "leaving a team".  I'm not going to bother repeating it all again, as it's already here earlier in the thread.
No, that was pretty much it.
6/19/2013 5:41 PM
I read it. Something like, "Lebron left Cleveland. He owed the fans some imaginary duty because I said so. Karma dictates that him being disloyal to a sports team and fans should result in serious bodily injury."

It was actually crazier than that, but I'm just paraphrasing.
6/19/2013 6:19 PM
Posted by bistiza on 6/19/2013 4:30:00 PM (view original):
dahs,

You're just a message board bully, and you've finally got someone your own "size" to pick on (that's me), but you aren't happy with that because you'd rather be king **** of the message board.

You don't want anyone coming around who can actually hold their own with you in an argument, but you realize I tend to defend "minority" positions not many people agree with, so you've decided to try to use that to discredit me and retain your spot on top of the mountain.

Listen, I don't care about your pathetic mountaintop. Keep thinking you're the best on here and what you say is what goes. I don't give a ****.

I'm only interested in having discussion about the topics at hand, which includes sometimes giving my opinion and defending it. That's all. So go toot your own horn somewhere else, because you certainly aren't contributing to the actual discussion in this thread.

Hahahahahahahahaha
6/19/2013 10:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 6/17/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):
I never said anything about "my logic" stinenavy.  I only addressed the concept of "karma" and suggested it isn't real because if it were, LeBron would have suffered a career-ending injury.

The REASON I say that is the way in which LeBron left Cleveland, not merely the fact that he did leave. From quitting on the team in the middle of a playoff game to his actual decision to go to Miami, he displayed a laziness and a lack of effort that is shameful to say the least.

In "the decision" itself, LeBron basically said "I don't want to work hard to win titles, I want to play for a virtual all-star team so it comes easy". 

Since that seems to be the way talented players want it anymore, why don't we just form about four teams and put every talented star player on those four and have them battle it out for the title each season? The rest of the teams are just playing along for **** and giggles with all the league's role players.

The NBA is becoming a joke.

This is where you explained your reasoning.

On your interpretation of karma, LeBron should suffer a career-ending injury because he left his team by announcing it on a TV show and because he didn't play well enough during a playoff game.

Since you decided earlier to address what fact and opinion is, I'll point out to you that "quitting" would be an opinion.
6/19/2013 10:26 PM
The Taint,

I know, it's funny, I nailed it right on describing dahs there.

6/20/2013 8:39 AM
Posted by bistiza on 6/20/2013 8:46:00 AM (view original):
On your interpretation of karma, LeBron should suffer a career-ending injury because he left his team by announcing it on a TV show and because he didn't play well enough during a playoff game.

This is not my interpretation of "karma". As I said, the simplest "karma" is "you get what you give".

Because of who he is and how famous he is, LeBron has the ability to have an enormous impact on great numbers of people - like it or not, that's the way it is. In his case, he had a tremendous NEGATIVE impact on a great number of people associated with the Cavaliers organization, including many fans.

The cumulative effect of all that negativity LeBron caused coming back on him through "karma" in a "you get what you give" fashion would naturally be quite devastating to him, and I suggested it might have come in the form of a career-ending injury.  I still think that's a fair assessment of how it would work if "karma" were real. "Karma" is BS, but my point is very real.
Since you decided earlier to address what fact and opinion is, I'll point out to you that "quitting" would be an opinion.

So it's my opinion that LeBron quit on his team, and that opinion is shared by many other people. That changes nothing with regard to what I've said.
And yet he had an exceptionally positive impact on all sorts of other people, including kids involved with the Boys & Girls Club, all of his charity - money and time - that he gives back (which he wouldn't be able to do without basketball), and all of the Miami fans who now root for him.

Even if take Lebron using your worst-case scenario: he was terribly disloyal to a bunch of people who truly love basketball - a game to them and a career for Lebron - he had an exceptionally positive impact on all sorts of other people. No one was injured from Lebron leaving Cleveland; no one's life was ruined. The worst result: people were angry at him. That part Lebron and part caring too much about sports (which is Lebron's burden, but not his fault).

So for all the kids he helped and positive impact he had, you think karmic balance dictates his livelihood being stripped (something that didn't happen to anyone when he left Cleveland), charities suffering from Lebron having less money to donate, and Miami fans who have had a positive impact should be stripped of any of their positivity even though they had nothing to do with what happened.

Perhaps it's hyperbole, but that is...wait for it...insane.
6/20/2013 9:44 AM
A publicity stunt that raised multiple millions of dollars for charity. There should be more of those publicity stunts, don't you agree?

By the way, holy ******* dramatic.
6/20/2013 2:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...28 Next ▸
Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.