Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Posted by emy1013 on 6/21/2013 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 6/21/2013 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, it's my reasoning that's flawed. They did play the games, seven of them. The better team won. In one game, anything can happen. In a seven game series, the better team wins.

Anything you say otherwise is based in opinion, not fact. You don't like Lebron, your analysis is biased.
While you are absolutely correct, you may as well stop now.  You'll never convince him that you're right and that he's wrong.  He's championed a minority viewpoint, and although not correct or grounded in any basis of reality, will defend it to the death, just to be different, just to be "that guy".  In case you haven't noticed, he's an attention hound, likes for people to notice him and his minority, black and white viewpoints.
He's not absolutely correct; he's wrong.  Seven isn't a magic number.  We're all familiar with the concept of sample size around here, and seven of anything is too small a sample to make a definitive statement like that.

This is the only point in the entire thing about which I agree with bistiza, who has surely gone off the rails again with everything else he said.  This:
You'll never convince him that you're right and that he's wrong.  He's championed a minority viewpoint, and although not correct or grounded in any basis of reality, will defend it to the death, just to be different, just to be "that guy".
...is absolutely correct.

ETA: Well, maybe not just to be "that guy".  I think he's a true believer.

6/21/2013 12:46 PM (edited)
But seven is the magic number, that's the thing.

If the series is 11, the Heat win 8-3. Do I believe that....no, but saying the Spurs are better than the Heat is as factually correct as that 8-3 statement.

The best team wins four if the last seven.
6/21/2013 12:55 PM
In a 4-3 series, your argument ends up based on a one game sample.  The winner of the last game, according to that logic, is definitely the better team.
6/21/2013 1:06 PM
Toss in the NBA's best record, the second longest winning streak in NBA history, the NBA title, and a two game sweep of the Spurs in the regular season and yes I'm comfortable saying the better team won. Do you have any facts to refute the information I'm using to base my claim?
6/21/2013 1:12 PM
Posted by bistiza on 6/21/2013 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Usually the better team wins, especially over a seven game series.

This series was close, but the Spurs were clearly the better team. They won the first game and the Heat played catch-up the entire time until Game 7, and if it wasn't for some colossal Spurs mistakes and some fortuitous bounces of the ball, the Heat never would have (or should have) seen a Game 7.

Luck was certainly on the Heat's side in this series because they were not the best team but ended up winning.  I guess if you're one of the folks who does believe in "karma", the Heat losing to Dallas two years ago was all the comeuppance LeBron will apparently be getting.
I don't know if you've been watching the Heat all season but the Heat have played comeback basketball all year. They've had many games that were close to what game 6 against the spurs was during the regular season or at least as impressive in stature to keep their streak alive. This team won 27 consecutive games and are obviously more talented than the spurs (even Pop says this in the huddles). The spurs have a better basketball system but they were not the better team. You want to be honest - luck was on the Spurs side as well when Russell Westbrook was finished. I doubt they make the  NBA finals if the Thunder were at 100% even without Harden.  
6/21/2013 1:13 PM
Again, the outlier in this series was the unreal three point shooting of the Spurs in the early going. Role players playing above their heads.
6/21/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by The Taint on 6/21/2013 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Toss in the NBA's best record, the second longest winning streak in NBA history, the NBA title, and a two game sweep of the Spurs in the regular season and yes I'm comfortable saying the better team won. Do you have any facts to refute the information I'm using to base my claim?
In one game in the regular season against the heat, the spurs didn't play there big 3 and also green
6/21/2013 1:16 PM
What happened the second game....in San Antonio?
6/21/2013 1:19 PM
No, not the specific claim that the better team won.  I dispute that a seven game series is enough to determine the better team.
6/21/2013 1:20 PM
Posted by jetsrok68 on 6/21/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):
In one game in the regular season against the heat, the spurs didn't play there big 3 and also green
The spurs put up quite a fight in that game too if I remember correctly...
6/21/2013 1:27 PM
A series has to end somewhere. Teams can be tied at 150-150 in a 301 game series.....the team that wins 301 is the better team. Not really sure how else you can measure it.
6/21/2013 1:28 PM
Posted by reddyred on 6/21/2013 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure they did, but again, they lost.
6/21/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by The Taint on 6/21/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Again, the outlier in this series was the unreal three point shooting of the Spurs in the early going. Role players playing above their heads.
+1 - There was a whole lot of bad defense by the Heat here too. Gary Neal was hitting shots in guy's faces but Green was wide open most of the time because of that great system the spurs run. When Miami figured it out though it was over.
6/21/2013 1:30 PM
Posted by The Taint on 6/21/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by reddyred on 6/21/2013 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure they did, but again, they lost.
I'm not arguing for the spurs here.
6/21/2013 1:31 PM
Haha, I got ya. Context and the Internet is tough sometimes. Cheers man.
6/21/2013 1:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...28 Next ▸
Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.