Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Posted by bistiza on 6/25/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
you consistently bring the argument back to pre-LeBron vs. post-LeBron, which is an understandable deflection from the real question at hand, namely, "what is the economic cost of The Decision to the city of Cleveland."  I understand why you're doing that, because your position on the real question is laughable.
The two concepts are intricately linked. Aside from that, the decision undeniably created negative publicity for the city. If you want to argue the economic impact was negligable or was somehow positive, you'll need to back that up, because more often than not those are not the case (although as I said before, they do happen from time to time).

And as I just told ike, the only thing laughable is how the two of you lack understanding of basic economics, marketing, and public relations.

Perhaps, but I'm going with your misunderstanding of the word "evidence."

6/25/2013 3:27 PM
Good choice.
6/25/2013 3:30 PM
Anybody else think bistiza just finished his sophomore year as an economics major, got some good grades in his intro courses, and now thinks he knows everything about how economies work?
6/25/2013 3:30 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/25/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Anybody else think bistiza just finished his sophomore year as an economics major, got some good grades in his intro courses, and now thinks he knows everything about how economies work?
+1
6/25/2013 3:33 PM
There's no way he finished anything related to economics.  He believes that when money isn't spent in a particular way it disappears.

He also believes that conjecture equals evidence.

6/25/2013 3:34 PM

"The Decision" created bad publicity for Cleveland to the same degree that a video released of LeBron torturing a cat would have created bad publicity for the cat.  Had the Cavs had any kind of team left, they would have had virtually every non-Heat NBA fan in their corner and been the darling of the league for the forseeable future.

Maybe some of the cities' response (most of which I think would have happened regardless of how he left) eventually gave the city a bit of a black eye (but nothing compared to the one LeBron took), but you can't hang all of that at LeBron's feet.

6/25/2013 3:41 PM (edited)
The whole Cleveland economy depended on LeBron James. This video even says so.

www.youtube.com/watch
6/25/2013 3:40 PM
"The Decision" created bad publicity for Cleveland to the same degree that a video released of LeBron torturing a cat would have created bad publicity for the cat.
Well put!
6/25/2013 3:40 PM
Dahs offered evidence that seats were still sold after "the decision." On what are you basing your judgements? I haven't a clue about the economical impact and I'd like to be convinced one way or another, but without providing actual statistics I just can't side with you.

Nice to see you are still stuck on logical fallacy as your main defense. What is one of the primary sources of logical fallacy? Oh right, stating something without actual statistics, instead resting on the notion that because it is likely to happen it will happen.

It is true that negative publicity can have undesired results, but It can also have great results on economics. Are there numbers that support your case?
6/25/2013 3:44 PM
1. Take intro to macroecon at the local community college.
2. State some opinions as fact.
3. Cite superior education as evidence.
4. ???
5. Profit.

6/25/2013 3:47 PM
I can't stand to go back and read this entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the net positive LeBron had on Cleveland. Are they in a better place now for having LeBron for some time than to have never had him in the city at all. It is better to have loved and lost than to have never have loved at all, or something like that.

But seriously how would Cleveland's economy be if LeBron never played there? I think it is still a net positive for the city, but I refuse to offer any statistics to support that statement rather I will just say that Chicago was better for having Jordan. Point proven!
6/25/2013 3:50 PM
I think with bistiza gone, the imaginary people will now come out and back his viewpoints.
6/25/2013 3:54 PM
I thought this was an interesting graphic.  You can definitely argue that the negative impact he had on Cleveland was balanced out by a similar positive impact on Miami.  Maybe even more than balanced out.  I think this argument started with the suggestion that karma owed LeBron a career-ending injury, but from a utilitarian perspective, he might have actually come out positive with the move.  "The Decision" was still a disaster either way, though.

Cleveland vs Miami
6/25/2013 3:59 PM
Since when do you need to have an economy to receive bad publicity?  I'm not saying that they are analogous in the potential for the damages of bad publicity - I'm saying they are analogous in terms of whether or not that bad publicity actually existed. 

You're arguing that Cleveland got bad publicity as a direct result of the "The Decision" and that that likely led to additional negative economic impacts for Cleveland.  My point was that Cleveland and the Cavs were clearly seen by everyone as the victim and LeBron the villain in that exchange. Any bad publicity (and I think it was minimal, really, relative to the sympathy they got) that Cleveland and the Cavs got out of "The Decision" and the fallout was a result of actions which were entirely within their control.

You're all about people being responsible for their choices - are you really going to hold LeBron responsible for the actions of Dan Gilbert and the Cleveland fans?  Actions which very well could have happened anyhow. 
6/26/2013 9:46 AM
And for the record, I don't care, I just saw you said you were done with this thread and wanted to see if I could bait you back in.  Mission accomplished, though it's not that much of an accomplishment based on your track record.
6/26/2013 9:53 AM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...28 Next ▸
Anybody watching Spurs/Heat game...thoughts? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.