D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

I want to go on record as saying that I think it's silly that the smaller conferences are tiered...most D- I'm qualified for but there are quite a few longshots as well, and I'm not qualified for a fair amount too (which I find ridiculous)...longshotted for 2 Ds, and of course the team I had my eye on I'm not qualified for.

Can someone breakdown the conference tiers for me please?

6/26/2013 10:22 AM (edited)
Could you clarify? What are you looking for beyond baseline prestige?
6/26/2013 10:27 AM
Basically, I think it's ridiculous that for current D- prestige teams that I'm qualified, longshot, and not qualified and even within the same conference the qualifications differ.

My argument is that there's a lack of consistency in the process...it's like a Mickey Mouse coin flip.

Here's a perfect example of the nonsense...

Apply  Boise St. D- WCC 4 11-18 Triangle Man to Man Ok Qualified  
Apply  Grambling St. D- WCC 5 15-15 Motion 2-3 Zone Ok Longshot  
Apply  Lipscomb D WCC 9 15-13 Fastbreak Man to Man Ok Not Qualified  
Apply  Pepperdine D- WCC 3 8-20 Flex Fullcourt Press Ok Not Qualified  
Apply  Portland D- WCC 4 3-24 Motion Man to Man Ok Longshot  
Apply  Santa Clara D+ WCC 2 13-15 Motion 2-3 Zone Ok Not Qualified  

6/26/2013 10:51 AM
At a glance, it looks like Boise St would have the lowest current prestige out of those schools. Their D- is lower than the other D-. I'm not sure it's as absurd as you think it is.
6/26/2013 12:13 PM
Ok, so what you're telling me is that there are 3 tiers in each half/third letter grade...gtfo...that's so dumb...
6/26/2013 1:56 PM
It's not ridiculous at all...you apparently fail to grasp that not all "D-"s are the same.
6/26/2013 1:58 PM
This is common knowledge, Colonels.

6/26/2013 1:58 PM
If all D- or whatever grade aren't the same, there should be a clear differentiation between all of them, because it's silly otherwise.  This just reaffirms to me that D2 is the place to be in this game.
6/26/2013 2:02 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Getting a job at D2 and getting a job at D1 are 2 incredibly different circumstances...you know that.  You're eligible for every job at D2.

Also, just because "it's the same" at D2, doesn't mean that it's a sound format.

6/26/2013 2:10 PM (edited)
You should probably turtle up right now.  You're getting dangerously close to making yourself sound like a total idiot, and you're on such a good streak in terms of not doing that...
6/26/2013 2:13 PM
At this point, I don't really care.  I'm done being discouraged by dumb **** systems.  If there's a number value that determines which prestiges you're eligible for and which aren't SHOW THEM.  You can't merely tell me that that there are differences within thirds of grade steps, not explain it, then tell me that it's common knowledge...that's pathetic.

There's a better way to do/show things and just because you guys are so used to the way things are, you want to combat me about it...and that's fine...but don't expect me to keep quiet about something subpar for fear of me "making an *** of myself"...I don't need validation, thanks.

6/26/2013 2:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think they are tiers, per se. The prestige letter grade is just a representation of some underlying numerical range of values... it's not a single fixed value. Just like with a player's free throw letter grade. An F free throw shooter may have an actual rating of 49% or 53%, but you can't distinguish that from the F letter grade. 

So a D- prestige might equate to a prestige number range from 0-12.00 or some such thing. With your resume, you may qualify for jobs that are 7.87 or lower (picking a number out of the air). Boise's prestige value could be 6.94 and the others could be somewhere between 7.88 and 12.00, which is why you qualify for one but not the others.
6/26/2013 2:50 PM (edited)
It is showing you. With a big NOT QUALIFIED. There is your indicator, don't waste job applications on those!
6/26/2013 2:40 PM
Posted by professor17 on 6/26/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
I could be wrong, but I don't think they are tiers, per se. The prestige letter grade is just a representation of some underlying numerical range of values... it's not a single fixed value. Just like with a player's free throw letter grade. An F free throw shooter may have an actual rating of 49% or 53%, but you can't distinguish that from the F letter grade. 

So a D- prestige might equate to a prestige number range from 0-12.00 or some such thing. With your resume, you may qualify for jobs that are 7.87 or lower (picking a number out of the air). Boise's prestige value could be 6.94 and the others could be somewhere between 7.88 and 12.00, which is why you qualify for one but not the others.
Good examples, but I think this echos his point - since there is obviously differences among similar prestiges, would the actual number rather than letter grade be that difficult to show?
6/26/2013 2:53 PM
123456 Next ▸
D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.