D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Posted by tarvolon on 6/26/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 7:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm qualified for 45 D1 jobs and a longshot for 28 (and seemingly longshot is a nice(r) way of say not qualified).  There are 11 D- jobs that I'm "not qualified" for.

Again tarvolon, I'm not sure what kind of jobs you're looking for, but I'm talking strictly about D- jobs.  I'm not the best coach, but I'm no slouch either...not great with the Xs and Os, but I can recruit pretty well.  I've earned the right to coach D1 in Knight.  The fact that WIS would rather have sims coach D- jobs than humans is rather mind boggling.

I have no complaint that I'm not qualified for jobs in Knight. I haven't been in Knight long enough to qualify for them. Just making a point that we shouldn't automatically make people qualified for jobs just because they want them and might quit if they aren't qualified for them. This is clearly a bad idea. But the idea you have about being automatically qualified for all 56 D- jobs as soon as you qualify for the first 45 is not necessarily a bad idea. I wouldn't hate it if it were implemented, but I honestly don't see the force behind your call for it. How many people are going to quit because they're qualified for Boise State but not Portland? Maybe a handful of Portland alums, if we have any. I know most of us have preferences for some low-level D1 jobs over others, but if we're at the point to have preference (and not just out of loyalty to the alma mater), we're probably also at the point where we understand that it'll only take one more good year in D2 to get there. And so we don't quit, we buckle down and do our damndest to make the tournament in D2. 
Don't sell yourself short colonels19, you're a tremendous slouch.
6/26/2013 10:59 PM
Mygeneration, you were supposed to have quit by now, so by all means, be gone...

Do I have to bump that thread for you again?

6/26/2013 11:04 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarvolon on 6/26/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 7:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm qualified for 45 D1 jobs and a longshot for 28 (and seemingly longshot is a nice(r) way of say not qualified).  There are 11 D- jobs that I'm "not qualified" for.

Again tarvolon, I'm not sure what kind of jobs you're looking for, but I'm talking strictly about D- jobs.  I'm not the best coach, but I'm no slouch either...not great with the Xs and Os, but I can recruit pretty well.  I've earned the right to coach D1 in Knight.  The fact that WIS would rather have sims coach D- jobs than humans is rather mind boggling.

I have no complaint that I'm not qualified for jobs in Knight. I haven't been in Knight long enough to qualify for them. Just making a point that we shouldn't automatically make people qualified for jobs just because they want them and might quit if they aren't qualified for them. This is clearly a bad idea. But the idea you have about being automatically qualified for all 56 D- jobs as soon as you qualify for the first 45 is not necessarily a bad idea. I wouldn't hate it if it were implemented, but I honestly don't see the force behind your call for it. How many people are going to quit because they're qualified for Boise State but not Portland? Maybe a handful of Portland alums, if we have any. I know most of us have preferences for some low-level D1 jobs over others, but if we're at the point to have preference (and not just out of loyalty to the alma mater), we're probably also at the point where we understand that it'll only take one more good year in D2 to get there. And so we don't quit, we buckle down and do our damndest to make the tournament in D2. 
This past season was my "one last season" to make D1...I am not staying at D2 another season, I already have a D2 team.  I shouldn't have to waste money on an extra season to make up for a poor/bad system.
And it worked. You're qualified for D1 now. If you wanted anything but the bottom level jobs, you'd need more than a 2nd straight first round exit. Not trying to be a jerk. I haven't qualified for D1 either in the worlds where I'm trying to move up (and I'm farther away than you are). But I've always been figuring 2 straight NTs to make the lowest jobs, one of them a Sweet Sixteen or higher to open up a little more than the very lowest. Maybe someone with more experience can tell me whether that's exactly right or not, but I don't expect to move up with anything less. 
6/26/2013 11:12 PM
FWIW, I still disagree with the premise, but I've basically come to terms with it.  I've applied to a D1 job I will get, but nothing is guaranteed beyond season 62.  I'm not as pumped about being back at D1 as I should be, and I feel that WIS makes the "quest" to D1, tiresome and fruitlessly limiting.

SW Minnesota State is a black hole and I'm proud of what I was able to accomplish there with a barren landscape of recruits.  I could have piggy-backed and got to D1 on the coattails of someone else, but that's just not me.  When I first took over the job, the quest was never for D1 but it was to take over a SW Minnesota State team that only had 1 win from a human coach previously and turn them around.  When I saw the amount of D1 virgins in Knight, I perked up...rightly or wrongly that's become my thing in HD, and sadly, I won't be able to coach any of the human-less teams that I initially sought when I decided I wanted to make D1 there...it is what it is.  D1 never seems to be worth the hassle once I get there, I guess that says it all...

6/26/2013 11:15 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 6/26/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 6/26/2013 9:52:00 PM (view original):
I'm sorry, but that's just not a very good resume.  Your team this past season was very strong.  No argument there.  However, 3 NT's (all first round exits), a PI (first round exit), and a losing season right in the middle of your last five... It doesn't seem weird to me that a lot of schools would like to see a little more success.
2 consecutive NTs always seems to do the trick...I don't know what you're griping about.  Certainly I wish I would have won some NT games, but it wasn't to be.
I'm not griping.  I'm disagreeing with you about your resume is all.
So you're saying/suggesting my resume isn't D1 worthy?

Btw, am I missing something or have you not played D1 before?

Nope, I haven't played D1 before. Why would that matter? I play D2.
6/26/2013 11:23 PM
Yeah, even in the worlds where I want to move up, I'm not taking the easy jobs and riding someone's coattails up the chain. Not me either. But the fact of the matter is, whether you were left with a cushy situation or in a barren wasteland doesn't matter to WIS hiring logic. Should it? Yeah, I'd say so. But if all we're looking at is postseason success, I've not no problem with the D and above schools looking for somebody who's made a deeper postseason run. 
6/26/2013 11:25 PM
Llamanuts No offense, it kind of devalues your opinion because you haven't done it.  Who are you to analyze/judge a D1 resume when you haven't been there?  I'm not saying you don't have a right to your thoughts, but that kind of pops your balloon for me.
6/26/2013 11:27 PM
Even though it's going to come off *******-y, I don't really mean it. Well maybe I do.

Minnesota is in no way a barren wasteland. Against a significantly more crowded Midwest in Wooden, I've made a pretty successful career recruiting MN, ND, and SD in D3. A lot of my best players would have been great D2 players. I have no doubt it would be easy to come in to a barren Midwest and dominate with against all sims. And by dominate, I mean make the S16 within 3 seasons.
6/26/2013 11:27 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 6/26/2013 11:25:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, even in the worlds where I want to move up, I'm not taking the easy jobs and riding someone's coattails up the chain. Not me either. But the fact of the matter is, whether you were left with a cushy situation or in a barren wasteland doesn't matter to WIS hiring logic. Should it? Yeah, I'd say so. But if all we're looking at is postseason success, I've not no problem with the D and above schools looking for somebody who's made a deeper postseason run. 
I totally get it...if I was more successful in the postseason we might not be having this conversation...with that said, I find WIS' format(s) to be inconsistent and at the very least, there's a lack of information.  I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable.

6/26/2013 11:31 PM
I think his resume should definitely qualify for D1. I think you all think colonels is the old dousche that he used to be, but he's simply not. The guy has become respectable (besides an outburst here and there) IMHO, and I don't see the need for everyone to jump on him and call him names. My question is, would a program rather go 5-23 and stay a D- prestige every season with a sim, or have some success with Trev? (if he can duplicate his D2 success, you're looking at a tourney, which would be a HUGE step for a D- school). Success from Trev, then the program made and will make a good hire. Colonels will improve this team, and there's a good chance he'll make the postseason. I don't care if it's heresy, it's true. D1 hiring standards are about where they need to be IMO.
6/27/2013 12:10 AM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Llamanuts No offense, it kind of devalues your opinion because you haven't done it.  Who are you to analyze/judge a D1 resume when you haven't been there?  I'm not saying you don't have a right to your thoughts, but that kind of pops your balloon for me.
Haven't done what, seen what kind of jobs are available at different prestige grades? Read the forums? You don't need to have coached at D1 to know anything special about this issue.
6/27/2013 12:14 AM
Posted by m4284850 on 6/27/2013 12:10:00 AM (view original):
I think his resume should definitely qualify for D1. I think you all think colonels is the old dousche that he used to be, but he's simply not. The guy has become respectable (besides an outburst here and there) IMHO, and I don't see the need for everyone to jump on him and call him names. My question is, would a program rather go 5-23 and stay a D- prestige every season with a sim, or have some success with Trev? (if he can duplicate his D2 success, you're looking at a tourney, which would be a HUGE step for a D- school). Success from Trev, then the program made and will make a good hire. Colonels will improve this team, and there's a good chance he'll make the postseason. I don't care if it's heresy, it's true. D1 hiring standards are about where they need to be IMO.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. 

8 seasons, 4 postseasons, 3 NTs, , 2 20-win seasons against primarily sims, 0 postseason wins.

Sorry, but that's not a good resume.
6/27/2013 12:52 AM
Posted by isack24 on 6/27/2013 12:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by m4284850 on 6/27/2013 12:10:00 AM (view original):
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. 

8 seasons, 4 postseasons, 3 NTs, , 2 20-win seasons against primarily sims, 0 postseason wins.

Sorry, but that's not a good resume.
It's a good enough resume to get qualified for low level D1. Honestly, what are your expectations?

He has three season where his RPI is below 50. Despite no postseason wins, with the postseasons experience and the win/RPI mix, I think it is okay. Obviously not a world beater here, but he isn't saying he should be at a bigger school. I would think that even some of the best resumes at top D2 (billyg's SIUEdwardsville and AEJones team from that world) probably aren't going to qualify for any A and maybe not a B school. Hell if I know.

6/27/2013 2:12 AM
Sure, I think it should qualify for D/D- schools. And I know that wasn't really the original point of this thread (although it devolved to that at some point).

Top-tier D2 coaches with 20+ seasons of experience can jump to B jobs in major conferences.
6/27/2013 2:20 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 6/26/2013 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 6/26/2013 7:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 6/26/2013 3:31:00 PM (view original):
More whining from colonels. Figures. If you had more success in the NT you wouldn't feel the need to complain about what D- teams you are qualified for.
The problem with you is that you haven't the mental capacity to see HD from a business point of view, so the last thing I'm going to do is even attempt to listen to someone whose main goal is to remove paying customers from the game.  Go row your boat somewhere, Gilligan...
So WIS should cater to the dumbass who can't understand that all D- prestiges aren't created alike?

There's also a baseline prestige element involved where you can be qualified for a C school with a D baseline, but not a D+ school with a B- baseline. I saw thought when I was trying to get an A10 school.

If you spent less time being a forum troll and more on your teams, you might find a way to get the team you want. You pouting isn't going to get the job done.
Dude, I get that there are at least 3 degrees of a third of a letter grade (given the evidence that I presented), but it's absolutely ridiculous.  To be a longshot for a D and not qualified for a D- is laughable.  I know you're a rules/yes sir kind of guy, so you're not intelligent enough to think for yourself or outside the box at all, what the rules say, goes...and that's your downfall as has been shown in many facets of this game.

I didn't need to spend any more time on my teams than what I did, they got the attention and care that they needed and deserved.

Trev, by now I'm nit one that "trolls you" just to troll you - but aren't YOU the one refusing to think outside your predetermined box here? You have already determined the answer and are by fiat rejecting anyones explainations without consideration. If you had won that first round game, I would wager you would have many more jobs open to you. Personally, I like a nonlinearly determined hiring process. And yes. I have been to d1.
6/27/2013 7:31 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
D1 Job Ridiculousness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.