2 a.m. -- Recruit is considering two of us, WOTS lists recruit as "definitely leaning" toward my school. I decide to put more effort in with the hope of knocking the other school off the recruit.

11 a.m. -- Recruit is now considering only my school.

2 p.m. -- Recruit continues to only consider me, but the new WOTS now only shows that recruit "has received some interest from (school), but is keeping his options open."

Nobody shows up as considering the recruit at 5 p.m. and the recruit signs with me on the first cycle he is able to at 8 p.m.

My dilemma -- unless I've been totally mistaken, the 2 p.m. WOTS message shows a lesser degree of commitment to my school than the 2 a.m. one does. But in that 12-hour period I put in enough effort to knock an opposing school off the recruit's consideration list, and never had another school move in to be considered. So...how did I manage to lose ground from 2 am. to 2 p.m. in Word on the Street?
6/29/2013 9:16 PM
The other guy put in effort as well, just not enough to be considered.
6/29/2013 9:19 PM
But if I'm in strong enough to have him definitely leaning my way  when both schools are being considered...and then I must have put in more effort than the other school did from 2-11 a.m. in order to get the recruit to stop considering the other school. How does he knock  me down to "some interest" without getting back on the consideration list? I could accept that he outspent me if he showed back up on the consideration list and the message came back that he was having trouble deciding between our two schools, but for my school to be the only one listed for consideration and that 2 p.m. message, that would seem to imply that I've put in the bare minimum of effort and a third school could come along, toss in a campus visit and a scholarship offer and be right there in the hunt for the guy.
6/29/2013 9:32 PM

The messages appear quite different on the surface, and I think that is because they are drawn from different scenarios.

The way I understand battles (and I may be way off), is that sim has a couple of options - One team has a commanding lead (say favoring team A by an 80-20% margin) and you get the message "Recruit is definitely leading to team A." or it is fairly close (say favoring team A by 52% to 48%) and you get the message " Recruit is torn between team A and team B".

Once you knocked the other school off the considering list, the sim defaulted to the scenario where only one school is considering. ie, either you have put in effort to get the recruit considering you "Recruit received some early interest from Team A but is still open to other offers" or you put in A LOT of effort to get the recruit strongly considering you " IE, "Recruit is a high priority for team A"

Most likely you put in enough effort to take the battle from something where you were ahead 80-20% to the point that you were ahead say, 99%-1% so it dropped the other team off the considering list, but you didn't put in enough effort to get the recruit to strongly consider you.

6/29/2013 9:56 PM
Did the scholarship message change at all?
6/29/2013 10:06 PM

There are better considered alone messages than the one you got at 2PM, and worse considered among others message than the one you got at 2AM, but being considered alone is in a completely different (better) class.  You didn't get knocked down to "some interest", that's simply the lowest (or among the lowest) messages you can get while considered alone, but it is still (with respect to the battle) better than "definitely leaning".  

What I'm not sure about is whether the WOTS message when you are considered alone is computed based on the absolute amount of effort you have into the recruit, or relative to the amount of effort of your nearest competitor (who is not considered yet/anymore).  I think it's the former but I don't really know.  

6/29/2013 11:06 PM
Posted by ggallagh on 6/29/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):

The messages appear quite different on the surface, and I think that is because they are drawn from different scenarios.

The way I understand battles (and I may be way off), is that sim has a couple of options - One team has a commanding lead (say favoring team A by an 80-20% margin) and you get the message "Recruit is definitely leading to team A." or it is fairly close (say favoring team A by 52% to 48%) and you get the message " Recruit is torn between team A and team B".

Once you knocked the other school off the considering list, the sim defaulted to the scenario where only one school is considering. ie, either you have put in effort to get the recruit considering you "Recruit received some early interest from Team A but is still open to other offers" or you put in A LOT of effort to get the recruit strongly considering you " IE, "Recruit is a high priority for team A"

Most likely you put in enough effort to take the battle from something where you were ahead 80-20% to the point that you were ahead say, 99%-1% so it dropped the other team off the considering list, but you didn't put in enough effort to get the recruit to strongly consider you.

This is what happened.
6/29/2013 11:09 PM
Okay, that makes sense -- thanks gang for the clarification. I never knew there were two classifications of messages for multi-considered players vs. those with only one team considering. Learned something new. Thank you!!
6/30/2013 1:13 AM
Posted by tkimble on 6/29/2013 11:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ggallagh on 6/29/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):

This is what happened.
This is much better answer than mine :)
6/30/2013 5:48 AM
Posted by rgerkin on 6/29/2013 11:06:00 PM (view original):

There are better considered alone messages than the one you got at 2PM, and worse considered among others message than the one you got at 2AM, but being considered alone is in a completely different (better) class.  You didn't get knocked down to "some interest", that's simply the lowest (or among the lowest) messages you can get while considered alone, but it is still (with respect to the battle) better than "definitely leaning".  

What I'm not sure about is whether the WOTS message when you are considered alone is computed based on the absolute amount of effort you have into the recruit, or relative to the amount of effort of your nearest competitor (who is not considered yet/anymore).  I think it's the former but I don't really know.  

You need to put a certain amount into a recruit to get him to strongly consider you, per WOTS. In this case, that amount of effort wasn't achieved.

Also, there are essentially only two messages when a recruit is considering only your team: he's strongly in to you, or he's not. All of the messages within the "strong" category are interchangeable, as are all of the messages in the "not strong" category. Don't read too heavily into the wording, or anything else that you think you're seeing/noticing.

6/30/2013 7:48 AM
"Nobody shows up as considering the recruit at 5 p.m. and the recruit signs with me on the first cycle he is able to at 8 p.m."

This is the part that threw me.  I can't understand how this would happen under the circumstances described.
6/30/2013 9:44 AM
I assumed that meant no one else showed up at 5 pm.
6/30/2013 10:16 AM
ok yeah, that would make sense then.  I thought nobody meant, you know, nobody
6/30/2013 12:57 PM
Yeah, my bad...recruit was still considering me at 5 p.m....I think I meant to say nobody new and forgot to type the "new"
6/30/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by girt25 on 6/30/2013 7:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rgerkin on 6/29/2013 11:06:00 PM (view original):

You need to put a certain amount into a recruit to get him to strongly consider you, per WOTS. In this case, that amount of effort wasn't achieved.

Also, there are essentially only two messages when a recruit is considering only your team: he's strongly in to you, or he's not. All of the messages within the "strong" category are interchangeable, as are all of the messages in the "not strong" category. Don't read too heavily into the wording, or anything else that you think you're seeing/noticing.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. There is one message that is a tweener message, in my experience. The "so and so school is the favorite - for now" message. I've never gotten the message when I've put minimal effort to get a recruit, but I've gotten it when I've put say 25 HVs but that isn't enough to get tight or very solid with a recruit. Now it does interchange with the "he's not sold" message, but like I've said I've never gotten that message when I've had say 3 HVs into a guy.
6/30/2013 1:52 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.