1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

Posted by emy1013 on 7/29/2013 2:07:00 AM (view original):
I'm kind of surprised that no one yet has made the rather obvious connection of what the handful of coaches who are so vehemently opposed to having two teams in a world all have in common. 
is it that they all suck and are just looking for ways to rationalize that sucking? sure seems that way to me, but i wouldnt be surprised if you said something like... they are all actually the same person! *gasp*. or that they all have secret multiple IDs they use to cheat and are trying to be openly anti-multiple teams to alleviate suspicions. 

a bunch of guys dont like multiple teams and plenty of them are great coaches... i am only referring to the particular handful who take it beyond "people might cheat" to "they are all cheaters".
7/29/2013 11:08 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/26/2013 6:49:00 PM (view original):
Not everyone agrees with you guys.
i think you specifically agreed that regardless of opinions on the 1000 mile rule, seble should have handled it differently, but im not sure? i think the frustration comes from the combination of people not liking the rule, and a terrible execution by site staff. i think most people could get over the rule without the horrible implementation - and at least i could. but anyway, when you say not everyone agrees - i certainly understand that - but i do think there is an important distinction with "not everyone agrees the rule is crap" and "not everyone agrees the handling is crap". those are two totally different discussions, and im just curious which of the two (or both) you are saying.
7/29/2013 11:22 AM
I have no issue with the rule.

I think it could have been handled gentler (although I am not sure that's better).

I mostly don't agree that this whole thing is some enormous affront to justice and completely unfair to the poor unsuspecting user.

There's an inherent advantage to having two teams in one world that every one seems to forget.   If there wasn't people wouldn't want to do it.

7/29/2013 11:59 AM
You have no issue with the rule yet you say that there's an inherent advantage to having two teams in one world... No one is forgetting that the advantage is there or the ability to "cheat" is there - but how does the rule you have no issue with prevent this? I think the rule is BS - either let people have multiple teams or don't - Don't give some arbitrary mileage number and then go on to boot people from their teams because they are 999 miles away from another school they coach... (unless it's their second cousin's uncle's nephew's team )  

There is also more to having multiple teams than an inherent advantage as the reason why people want to do it. Personally I don't like 1 -a day worlds so I only coach in 2 a day worlds which there are only 3- If I want more than 3 teams then I have to have multiple teams in one world if I only coach 2 a day teams.
7/29/2013 1:15 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/29/2013 11:59:00 AM (view original):

I think it could have been handled gentler (although I am not sure that's better).

I mostly don't agree that this whole thing is some enormous affront to justice and completely unfair to the poor unsuspecting user.

There's an inherent advantage to having two teams in one world that every one seems to forget.   If there wasn't people wouldn't want to do it.

What reason would that be?

I don't currently have 2 teams in 1 world, but I have before.  The reason?  Because I had teams in them before it was considered "cheating" to do so, so I already built up the resume. That's the only inherent advantage I can think of for anyone who's not a cheater.
7/29/2013 1:22 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by hughesjr on 7/28/2013 8:16:00 PM (view original):
We can fix the 1000 mile rule real easy ... this game was designed to have one team per world.

Stop all the ******* whining and ******** and moaning and crying and stop ******* cheating. What a bunch of cry babies.

And yes, just ******* quit if you don't like it.
this game was designed to have one team per world.

That's 100% false.  The game was designed for people to have as many teams as they wanted.  It's since been changed so that people can cheat if they have more than one.  But it was definitely designed for multiple accounts to be totally acceptable and even encouraged.
7/29/2013 3:56 PM
But every day there are full page posts about how unfair it is to care about 2 teams in the same world. I get tired of hearing it day after day after day.

You're more than welcome to take your own advice and just quit if you don't like it. I can't imagine there are many people who would be sad to see you go.
7/29/2013 4:00 PM
lol
7/29/2013 4:22 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 7/29/2013 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 7/29/2013 8:46:00 AM (view original):
We can fix the 1000 mile rule real easy ... this game was designed to have one team per world.

Stop all the ******* whining and ******** and moaning and crying and stop ******* cheating. What a bunch of cry babies.

What proof do you have that everyone with multiple teams is cheating?
I also dispute your assessment that the game was never intended to allow multiple teams, were you there at the beginning? Did you know that the games developer had multiple teams? His best friend playing the game had, at least, 3 separate IDs in each world.
We know because seble said so ...

But they allowed some people to do it anyway.

In all other WIS games except GD and HD, it is not allowed to have more than one team in a league/world.

And it is cheating because there is collusion between 2 teams ... if you have two teams then you know things about both of those teams that 2 separate coaches could never know.

That is not to say that everyone who has 2 teams ACTUALLY uses that information to cheat ... but it is collusive none the less. I know people who have 2 teams in a world who I know would never cheat and who don't need to cheat. But every day there are full page posts about how unfair it is to care about 2 teams in the same world. I get tired of hearing it day after day after day.
Seble said what, that everybody with 2 teams was cheating? Or the original intent of the game was to only have 1 team per world? Either way, I call BS, because I know I had 2 teams and wasn't cheating and I know that the founder of the site had 2 teams in a world and that his very close personal friend had 3-5 teams in worlds at one time.

If you don't like the threads then DON'T read them. Not difficult, and it certainly isn't like they are squeezing out other topics, there are threads still on the main page even though there have been no posts since Friday morning.

For what it is worth, and this is a serious question, for the people who do like the 1000 mile rule, why? My problem was always the arbitrary nature, and the lack of any teeth. It really only affects people who were honest about their aliases (myself included) and doesn't alleviate the potential for cheating. I mean, I'm at UCLA in Tark, so I could pick up Maine, Presque Isle and it would be perfectly fine, but it wouldn't stop me from FSSing the entire Northeast if I so chose. I would have had much more respect for seble if he had just said "No aliases, and if you're discovered, the account will be closed," so you'd lose all credits/teams in other games/etc. That would be a deterrent. Ultimately though, I don't really care, I'm playing out credits and have been since this rule came out, so I'm sure my opinion will be discounted by the forum and certainly the site.
7/29/2013 4:39 PM
Posted by acn24 on 7/29/2013 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 7/29/2013 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 7/29/2013 8:46:00 AM (view original):

What proof do you have that everyone with multiple teams is cheating?
I also dispute your assessment that the game was never intended to allow multiple teams, were you there at the beginning? Did you know that the games developer had multiple teams? His best friend playing the game had, at least, 3 separate IDs in each world.
We know because seble said so ...

But they allowed some people to do it anyway.

In all other WIS games except GD and HD, it is not allowed to have more than one team in a league/world.

And it is cheating because there is collusion between 2 teams ... if you have two teams then you know things about both of those teams that 2 separate coaches could never know.

That is not to say that everyone who has 2 teams ACTUALLY uses that information to cheat ... but it is collusive none the less. I know people who have 2 teams in a world who I know would never cheat and who don't need to cheat. But every day there are full page posts about how unfair it is to care about 2 teams in the same world. I get tired of hearing it day after day after day.
Seble said what, that everybody with 2 teams was cheating? Or the original intent of the game was to only have 1 team per world? Either way, I call BS, because I know I had 2 teams and wasn't cheating and I know that the founder of the site had 2 teams in a world and that his very close personal friend had 3-5 teams in worlds at one time.

If you don't like the threads then DON'T read them. Not difficult, and it certainly isn't like they are squeezing out other topics, there are threads still on the main page even though there have been no posts since Friday morning.

For what it is worth, and this is a serious question, for the people who do like the 1000 mile rule, why? My problem was always the arbitrary nature, and the lack of any teeth. It really only affects people who were honest about their aliases (myself included) and doesn't alleviate the potential for cheating. I mean, I'm at UCLA in Tark, so I could pick up Maine, Presque Isle and it would be perfectly fine, but it wouldn't stop me from FSSing the entire Northeast if I so chose. I would have had much more respect for seble if he had just said "No aliases, and if you're discovered, the account will be closed," so you'd lose all credits/teams in other games/etc. That would be a deterrent. Ultimately though, I don't really care, I'm playing out credits and have been since this rule came out, so I'm sure my opinion will be discounted by the forum and certainly the site.
i dont know acn, im not sure everyone is as happy that guys like nacho, hughes, and stine are replacing guys like you and me, as those guys seem to be about it. im actually not sure anyone else is happy about it at all.

i totally agree with you though, would have preferred the no alias rule over the current ridiculous rule, preferably with some decent communication & facilitation to make it happen. just such a stupid rule to defend. the problem is clearly that seble just has no idea what the fk is going on, so he just doesnt see how arbitrary his ruling is. and he has no attachment to a particular club or he'd get that side of it too - "we just made people leave a team, didnt make anyone drop a team" - yeah... like the federal govt saying, we didnt make the states set the drinking limit at 21, which we clearly are not allowed to do - we just told the states we wouldnt give them any money for roads if they didnt do it. when seble operates with the efficiency of the federal government, with only a billionth of the resources, you know its time to move on!!

i would have totally preferred a 1 team/world limit, even though it would have impacted me more, with all my teams in a single world (and with "all" being more than 2 most of the time). at least its defensible. still would have to be handled gracefully though or you just wipe out too many people. except those who are actually lying and cheating and nobody knows they have 2 accounts, of course! but still, at least it would be a stance i could respect.

7/29/2013 5:23 PM (edited)

"if there wasn't people wouldn't want to do it" - im not sure how you can make such a ridiculous claim, when you seem to be a not-very-ridiculous guy. we have disagreed on this subject and thats totally fine. im just surprised any rational person who has read these threads can make that statement. tons of reasons have been listed. for example, when tark was the only 2/day world, some people wanted more that 1 2/day team. or now, more than 3/day. or maybe they didnt want to lose that d3 program they loved, but didnt want to wait another few seasons to move up to d2. the list goes on. i can understand wanting no multiple teams in a world - in fact, id NEVER allow it in my bball sim, if i had one. but how can you claim there is no other reason? its so ridiculous.

if you don't think its ridiculous, can you explain how d3 and d1 teams, which people had in a world, BEFORE FSS EXISTED - were used to cheat? if there wasnt a way to cheat, people wouldnt have had them - according to your statement - but they did - so there must have been a way to cheat. can you please explain what that way was, or accept your statement is a logical fallacy?
7/29/2013 5:26 PM

Have you considered the possibility that some people just really enjoy playing this game, and having 2 teams in a world is one way to get more enjoyment out of it by playing it more?

To be clear I'm not pointing a finger at you here because I don't think you are implying this at all, but SOME people here seem to think that the only reason to have 2 teams in 1 world is to cheat.  Those people are just flat wrong.  I'm sure in some cases that is why people have 2 teams in a world, but I would also guess that there are far more instances where a user is simply trying to enjoy the game they like more often.

billy and dcy/emy are 2 of the great coaches and PEOPLE who play this game.  I highly doubt either of them is cheating.  There are other great coaches who have 2 IDs in the same world that play the game for the enjoyment of it and who are good at it (I won't be pointing fingers) and they aren't cheating.

seble, I would recommend you take this on a case by case basis.  I hate to see good coaches leaving HD or cutting back on their teams over this situation.  HD is already becoming more SimAI and less real human being than many of us would like.  Please don't speed up that transition by forcing this issue on honest, long-time coaches.
7/29/2013 6:00 PM (edited)
You highly doubt they are cheating. You said it right there. I understand the commitment some have put in and think they should be compensated to the fullest. Let's get rid of the doubt and admit that although some will suffer losses and others won't be able to have the level of enjoyment from the game that they desire, one team per world makes sense for the betterment of the game and the enjoyment of others. Will the outcome be fair to all -i no. But this game leaves fair out in the pasture relative to the creation date so why expect anything different
Ps. - how come this game sucks so bad that people quit but yet they don't really leave.
7/29/2013 7:16 PM
Is the answer to the question posed. Integrity and an understanding that perception matters?
7/29/2013 7:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...13 Next ▸
1000 mile rule now driving distance? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.