What's up with the Developers? Topic

Posted by rgerkin on 8/6/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
I have boiled Gillispie's post down to a list of 14 basic items that he feels need fixed. I have to say, I would be pretty pumped if any or all of these issues (particularly #4 and #5, though) were to be addressed.
1. fix or at least revert d1 recruit generation, because it ran off so many coaches.
2. make the first cycle of recruiting more than 2 hours, or let you put actions in 24 hours in advance, or something like that.
3. change the d1 job situation third just to help bring life back to d1.
4. making assists a real part of the game!
5. allowing awesome big men to be more dominant.
6. add a couple ratings to the game that i think are required to create a richer, more realistic experience, and then adding the functionality around those ratings.
7. make press an add on to man or zone, instead of its own set, or at least would make the existing press more realistic and would make the half court press more useful and realistic.
8. change tempo so that it... you know... makes some god damn sense!!
9. change caps to be soft not hard
10. change teams baseline prestige to be fluid (albeit very gradually so)
11. change IQ so that a smart defensive player could play man or zone well, instead of being great at one and horrible at the other, which just makes no sense - this would hopefully introduce man/zone as a popular choice for team offense, adding significant strategy to game planning.
12. change the entire distribution system as it really just makes no sense, there is no realism to a whole host of things, for example - a point guard who can distribute really well, who can also score well, is a huge advantage in real life - you have to guard him hard and doing so often leaves others open. if a great distributing point guard cant really score, that limits his effectiveness - this does not exist at all in HD. there is a total disconnect in HD between how many shot the player takes and how many touches he has to have. if a player is going to shoot much, he needs to get the ball a lot and if he sucks at things like passing or has low IQ, you should pay a much higher premium on those shots (some of these effects exist in some form in HD but it seem artificial and unrealistic to me).
13. there should be differences in long/medium/short rebounds, etc, etc.
14. i dont like the way in d1 you have such an unrealistic advantage recruiting elite players if you are local - id change that, to create more competition between top schools.
#2, #3, #5, #10, #14 would literally take a few minutes each, if they work the way we think they work.  
#1 could take a few minutes if we are just talking about reverting, since the code was already written.  
#9 shouldn't be hard, less than an hour.  

The rest are significant changes, but given that the above could probably be done in < 1 hour combined, and really please most of the users, it is just shocking that they haven't been done.  
Do you work for WIS?  Do you know their code?  How do you know these only take a few minutes of work to implement?

In response to:  #1 could take a few minutes if we are just talking about reverting, since the code was already written.
You have no clue if the old code is even compatible with the rest of the new code, since the engine was re-written.  Just because a code exists, it does not mean it works.
8/7/2013 10:10 AM
well, all i said in #14 was to ease distance advantage, but i think you are cheating a bit and referencing previous posts of mine on the topic :) yes, i would couple that with changes to recruit generation that are fairly complex and would take time, but just as written, i think that would be pretty simple. 

that is just an off the cuff rambling about a few changes, with a much longer list i would actually like to address (man to man defense matchups being done in a sensible way, for example, is one of the things i'd want to see the most, but i didnt mention it there - meaning you can assign defenders like you do in the real world, its totally arbitrary and harmful to man teams to force their guy guarding the pg to play pg on offense). but i agree with rgerkin, the worst thing here is not the lack of innovation and improvement in significant ways, but the lack of the simple obvious changes. seriously, how hard could the 2 hour window of cycle 1 change be? people have been complaining about that longer than i've been here, so over 6 years. with the first cycle being so monumentally important, at least in d1 today and all divisions in the past, how can you force people to a 2 hour window? its just retarded. i mean come on, if seble had an ounce of context and understanding, he would have fixed that years ago. 

i think #3 is a pretty substantial change, you can simply lower the bar a bit within d1 and that would offset some of the issues related to the 10 season change (which is good for people with 20 seasons of solid resume, but not for those just getting into things or just returning or whatever). but i think a more careful balancing is required. incorporating success relative to starting situation at the school is really important to get the jobs situation to make more sense, and that is non trivial, although honestly its not that hard.

also, trobone, just to say, if WIS is really "testing that code over and over again", thats news to the rest of us :) i do agree all these changes are more than an hour just because of the development process for a product in production like HD, but still, i think there are pretty many quick and easy fixes that could be put in place to improve things. 
8/7/2013 10:15 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 4:51:00 PM (view original):
The thing is, I don't think Seble even visits these forums more than once a month or so. I don't know if the higher-ups have him doing multiple duties or what, but if not, I don't understand why he's not more engaged with the user base.
that is what baffles me - we can sit around talking about the limitations of the sim engine and the surrounding game, but its always present that the game is actually fun while the business management is and has been simply god-awful. why the hell there is no regular customer interaction is beyond me. clearly its more interesting to talk about the limitations in the game and all that, not saying thats bad, but its almost moot because as long as they run the game without decent customer interaction and customer service, without any advertising or marketing, it doesnt really matter if the game gets better or not.
8/7/2013 10:18 AM
Posted by ardthomp on 8/7/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rgerkin on 8/6/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 12:55:00 PM (view original):
I have boiled Gillispie's post down to a list of 14 basic items that he feels need fixed. I have to say, I would be pretty pumped if any or all of these issues (particularly #4 and #5, though) were to be addressed.
1. fix or at least revert d1 recruit generation, because it ran off so many coaches.
2. make the first cycle of recruiting more than 2 hours, or let you put actions in 24 hours in advance, or something like that.
3. change the d1 job situation third just to help bring life back to d1.
4. making assists a real part of the game!
5. allowing awesome big men to be more dominant.
6. add a couple ratings to the game that i think are required to create a richer, more realistic experience, and then adding the functionality around those ratings.
7. make press an add on to man or zone, instead of its own set, or at least would make the existing press more realistic and would make the half court press more useful and realistic.
8. change tempo so that it... you know... makes some god damn sense!!
9. change caps to be soft not hard
10. change teams baseline prestige to be fluid (albeit very gradually so)
11. change IQ so that a smart defensive player could play man or zone well, instead of being great at one and horrible at the other, which just makes no sense - this would hopefully introduce man/zone as a popular choice for team offense, adding significant strategy to game planning.
12. change the entire distribution system as it really just makes no sense, there is no realism to a whole host of things, for example - a point guard who can distribute really well, who can also score well, is a huge advantage in real life - you have to guard him hard and doing so often leaves others open. if a great distributing point guard cant really score, that limits his effectiveness - this does not exist at all in HD. there is a total disconnect in HD between how many shot the player takes and how many touches he has to have. if a player is going to shoot much, he needs to get the ball a lot and if he sucks at things like passing or has low IQ, you should pay a much higher premium on those shots (some of these effects exist in some form in HD but it seem artificial and unrealistic to me).
13. there should be differences in long/medium/short rebounds, etc, etc.
14. i dont like the way in d1 you have such an unrealistic advantage recruiting elite players if you are local - id change that, to create more competition between top schools.
#2, #3, #5, #10, #14 would literally take a few minutes each, if they work the way we think they work.  
#1 could take a few minutes if we are just talking about reverting, since the code was already written.  
#9 shouldn't be hard, less than an hour.  

The rest are significant changes, but given that the above could probably be done in < 1 hour combined, and really please most of the users, it is just shocking that they haven't been done.  
Do you work for WIS?  Do you know their code?  How do you know these only take a few minutes of work to implement?

In response to:  #1 could take a few minutes if we are just talking about reverting, since the code was already written.
You have no clue if the old code is even compatible with the rest of the new code, since the engine was re-written.  Just because a code exists, it does not mean it works.
not that i really disagree with you... but didnt the recruit gen change come AFTER the new engine? i definitely could have it wrong, but i thought that was the case, for some reason.
8/7/2013 11:28 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/7/2013 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 4:51:00 PM (view original):
The thing is, I don't think Seble even visits these forums more than once a month or so. I don't know if the higher-ups have him doing multiple duties or what, but if not, I don't understand why he's not more engaged with the user base.
that is what baffles me - we can sit around talking about the limitations of the sim engine and the surrounding game, but its always present that the game is actually fun while the business management is and has been simply god-awful. why the hell there is no regular customer interaction is beyond me. clearly its more interesting to talk about the limitations in the game and all that, not saying thats bad, but its almost moot because as long as they run the game without decent customer interaction and customer service, without any advertising or marketing, it doesnt really matter if the game gets better or not.
Exactly. For all the changes we list that would greatly improve the game, the easiest one to implement would be to have Seble (or whoever) be required to visit (and post to) the forums for 30 minutes each day. Then, at least, people might feel like they're being heard, which would be a nice change.
8/7/2013 1:00 PM
Additionally I would like more priority selections for the recruits screen.  Maybe like 7-10 Colors that can be used to sort recruits into? Not a big deal in general, but I took a team with 7 open scholarships at one point, and prioritizing is more than just High, Med, Low, Not set. 
8/7/2013 1:12 PM
Posted by mrdanielx on 8/7/2013 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Additionally I would like more priority selections for the recruits screen.  Maybe like 7-10 Colors that can be used to sort recruits into? Not a big deal in general, but I took a team with 7 open scholarships at one point, and prioritizing is more than just High, Med, Low, Not set. 
Currently, I use "Not Set" to get at least a 4th level of categorization.
8/7/2013 1:17 PM
Posted by mrdanielx on 8/7/2013 1:12:00 PM (view original):
definitely. would love an extra slot on the depth chart, too.
8/7/2013 1:35 PM
My only complaint is D1 Big 6 prestige, other than that love the game. I only ***** about prestige other than right now to zhawks on facebook lol 

But id literally kill myself if WIS was no more. Not just cause the money ive spent, but just how addicting HD/HBD are and now im really getting into GD and FCD... I would have no clue what to do with my time. If im not at work, or working on work at home im normally on WIS messing with my teams. 

The only logical thing I could pick up would be starting a meth lab.
8/7/2013 2:13 PM
◂ Prev 123
What's up with the Developers? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.