What is the min ath and speed for a big man at a power conf D1 school. I am new to D1 and am in big ten. I figured somewhere around 70 ath is min and speed maybe 25/30 range. What u guys think
8/17/2013 11:56 AM
The best you can find.  Shoot for atleast 80 ATH. 
8/17/2013 4:16 PM
look at successful teams in your conference and other successful teams in the range of your prestige
8/17/2013 5:38 PM
70 ATH is too low for a successful big man in a power conference, IMO.
8/17/2013 5:56 PM
I think you can use 70 as a minimum.  Wouldn't go lower than that however.  You can't really look at the best DI programs and try to emulate them immediately.  Everything in the core categories and secondary categories are 90's or better for most of them.  It's pretty obvious that 99 ATH is the best case scenario.  Unfortunately it's uber tough to get those guys.  A quality big man can  live in the 70's for ATH but you have to have some other great stats as well.  If he has great speed or really solid perimeter that can make up for lower ATH to some degree.  Ultimately, ATH is really important but don't totally discount a guy who may be lower than ideal in ATH but maybe super strong in other categories.  
8/17/2013 10:36 PM
Thanks for help. It's hard to go based off others in my conference since the get too notch players every year I am on the bottom. I was just curious what people though min was. For me in d2 50 was min for me. Figured a 70 ath could play minutes in d1 but obviously wouldn't be a star
8/17/2013 11:46 PM
with C- prestige in the big 10, 70 is a perfect minimum - 80 is definitely too restrictive at that level. you want to REALLY focus on your ath, reb, and def - and if zone, sb - of course, stamina is very important too... but at that level, you have the option to basically ignore all other ratings for most (or even all) of your bigs. you really need to focus on trying to be competitive with the better teams in conference. a big man who has say 80 ath 60 reb 60 def 99 lp 50 per, sure, he can score - but you are going to be way behind your competitors in terms of reb and def abilities (not just ratings - the whole ability) - which is hard to make up for elsewhere. scoring as a team, you only need a couple strong scorers to get most of the effectiveness, so having a few bigs who cant score can be made up for. but having a few bigs who cant rebound, thats game over. so you need to prioritize rebounding and defense, which is basically ath/reb/def, and then if you can get offense, great! take what you can get. thats just my opinion of course - but its almost universally understood that across the board decent bigs CAN NOT compete in high d1. so like, a 70 ath 80 reb 80 def 80 lp big, you cant really do *anything* at big 6 level. you need to find guys who can do 2 of the 3-4 things an ideal player at the position does, well enough to compete with the big schools - and then by carefully calibrating the weaknesses of each player to make sure you dont have too much weakness as a team, you will be able to keep up.
8/19/2013 12:12 AM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 8/17/2013 5:56:00 PM (view original):
70 ATH is too low for a successful big man in a power conference, IMO.
Disagree.

I had a guy with 65 ath who held his own very well at Mizzou.

But he also had 99 reb, def and shot blocking. I had him at 0 or 1 distro. He ended up being one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in Mizzou's history. It's all about the other categories and how you use him.
8/19/2013 2:57 PM
the above is why i dont really believe in "minimums" - theres always exceptions, unless you use ridiculously low minimums in which case they are useless.
8/20/2013 10:21 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/20/2013 10:21:00 AM (view original):
the above is why i dont really believe in "minimums" - theres always exceptions, unless you use ridiculously low minimums in which case they are useless.
Agreed. But being a B surrounded by A+ teams in Phelan, I've learned that role players are very important. 
8/20/2013 12:59 PM
yup, i totally agree. your guy is a perfect example. and we all know how i feel about role players... as long as "role player" means "starter in a specific role" not "useless backup you can sort of half *** justify, but not really" :)
8/20/2013 1:45 PM
and thats you on a B to his C-... 70 is probably too low a minimum but generally speaking a high quality C- built BCS team is going to have most or all of their bigs break 70ath. but for a newer d1 coach, really, 60 is probably a good minimum to go with. of course you can't compete with the 95 ath guys on top teams, but unless you are a top coach at a C- school, thats simply not the goal of most coaches at C- schools. especially in today's engine - the goal of the C- coach should be to get to a B-, and you can certainly do that without competing with the 95 ath/everything else bigs on the rosters of the top programs. for highly experienced or highly competitive coaches on a C-, id definitely shoot for that 70.
8/20/2013 1:47 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.