Slow Down Sports Topic

Slowdown doesn't affect your defense directly but it does allow your starters to play longer.  . It's main effect is to  reduce the # of shot attempts by your team.  So the opponent can run and shoot all they want
8/19/2013 3:47 AM (edited)
Actually looks like just the conference schedule of his division one team is running slowdown. Otherwise, not really.
8/19/2013 8:08 AM
I've played about 8 games in a row against slow teams.  I have superior players....and it's become the magic bullet.  I've had halves when I score 18 or 19 points. 

It's a major issue........I don't understand how a team game planning slow down against me makes my players react like Cousin Eddie when he's around a microwave.

8/19/2013 8:37 AM
No, its not a major issue.

You should have been around before the engine change when slow down WAS a major issue. You would often see teams with a combined score of less that 80 points.
8/19/2013 9:16 AM
Posted by hoosierkyle on 8/19/2013 8:37:00 AM (view original):
I've played about 8 games in a row against slow teams.  I have superior players....and it's become the magic bullet.  I've had halves when I score 18 or 19 points. 

It's a major issue........I don't understand how a team game planning slow down against me makes my players react like Cousin Eddie when he's around a microwave.

Can you post some of these games?

I agree with mully, things are much better now, than in the era when 38-32 games were common.
8/19/2013 10:37 AM
hoosier, what team are you even talking about? someone mentioned stevens tech... but they are 24-2, which suggests, if that is the team, slowdown CANT be a magic bullet - or you'd have more than 2 losses from those 8 games. so is it SMU? seems like you've lost some games to some decent teams, with a not very good team, which doesnt seem suspicious to me. your leading scorer there is a SF in a FB offense with 72 ath, 51 spd, 55 lp, 38 per.... in d1... if thats the team you are complaining about, i think you need to support your claims a bit more, especially if you want to get a bit more respect in the answers you get from other coaches. which games did you lose that you should have won, and why do you blame slowdown in those cases? looks like your team there can easily lose to those teams you lost to, in my quick 30 second glancing at your team and those other teams. so i could be wrong, but im not even sure thats the team you are talking about... probably worth including some more details, because to be honest, its not clear if you are complaining because you feel you have some legitimate gripe, or just are whining because you lost - and without any supporting information - i can see why some coaches naturally assume its the latter. if you are talking about another of your teams, im confused, because your last 8 games have been fine.

i personally have my own issues with slowdown, plus i dont want to rush to judgement, but i do think you need to talk specifics if you have any interest in actually making a case for slowdown being broken/unbalanced here.
8/19/2013 2:32 PM (edited)
Looks like he is taking about his SMU team. Lost 3 games to teams not rated as high and they ran slowdown. Team is not that much better the teams he lost to. Especially on the road.
8/19/2013 9:12 PM
odd thing is that hoosier runs slowdown every game at stevens tech - maybe that is to demonstrate the power of slow? seems a bit inconsistent with the view that it is wrong for folks to run it.....
8/20/2013 1:35 AM
Posted by mamxet on 8/20/2013 1:35:00 AM (view original):
odd thing is that hoosier runs slowdown every game at stevens tech - maybe that is to demonstrate the power of slow? seems a bit inconsistent with the view that it is wrong for folks to run it.....
He has run slowdown for all 27 games this season at D3 Stevens Tech.  He can't run slowdown on his other two teams because they both run fastbreak.  He's 25-2 running slowdown with his D3 team and apparently doesn't have any problem running it there.  He's taken a couple of losses on his other teams to opponents running slowdown so that's what he's whining about.  It's fine for HIM to run it every game, but damn it, his OPPONENTS better not, as that might give them a better chance to win.  He's a hypocrite and a baby, end of story.
8/20/2013 3:08 AM
I love that...
8/20/2013 7:49 AM
It's nearly impossible to run fast break on D3 because the level of recruits is so low.

In D1, nobody is paying money to watch guys walk up and down the court.  It's what inferior teams do. 

No biggy...I'll readjust and continue to dominate the conference like I have been at SMU.

8/20/2013 9:05 AM
I like playing at fast pace if I have a deep team with the press, like my Penn State team. I think we have run fast pace every game this year, and are 23-1 and ranked #4. I have not found that running slow down is beneficial, except in 3 cases.
1. If my team has 10 or less players (especially with a press defense)
2. If I have only 3-4 upperclassmen and lots of freshmen
3. If I am over-matched and want to limit the number of possessions and hope for an upset.
8/20/2013 9:08 AM
There is something to be said for the power of having a good team and using Slow Down.  Stevens Tech has been a fairly easy one for me (I started Slow Down last season) and I've been winning easily in the Regular Season and have had some success in the Post Season.

I've had success with Fast Break but never in the Post Season.  I don't understand how Big 6 teams with so much talent run slow down offenses and only get up 45 shots a game.  Part of the fun for me is breaking school scoring records and what not, but that's a personal preference.

8/20/2013 10:03 AM
Posted by hoosierkyle on 8/18/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Lets change the name.

EVERYBODY on this game just slows it down and completely ruins the game.  It's like we have a game filled with Bo Ryan fans instead of people that enjoy watching basketball.

Fix it WIS.

the thread began with the statement that slowdown ruins the game, but now the posture of the initial poster is that slowdown is cool for his team, but not for others......

8/20/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by hoosierkyle on 8/20/2013 9:05:00 AM (view original):
It's nearly impossible to run fast break on D3 because the level of recruits is so low.

In D1, nobody is paying money to watch guys walk up and down the court.  It's what inferior teams do. 

No biggy...I'll readjust and continue to dominate the conference like I have been at SMU.

do you usually get big crowds in your living room to watch you read your D 1 pbp?
8/20/2013 11:07 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Slow Down Sports Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.