RS Going Academically Ineligible Topic

If a red-shirt freshman is on the verge of being ineligible mid-season due to grades, does it matter?  Don't they still get all the same practice minutes?

Thanks
8/20/2013 12:56 PM
ineligible players do not practice and do not improve I believe...
8/20/2013 1:03 PM
correct once they go ineligible they will stop improving and may even go backwards a little (?).

however they will get themselves eligible in the offseason and be ready to play next season.
8/20/2013 2:03 PM
I think - but maybe its a forum fact - that they may lose some improvement over the summer compared to a guy without academic issues
8/20/2013 2:14 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/20/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
I think - but maybe its a forum fact - that they may lose some improvement over the summer compared to a guy without academic issues
I believe that since they have to spend the summer getting eligible they don't improve like other playrers
8/20/2013 2:20 PM
ah yes, takes me back to the year I went to summer school..... aarg
8/20/2013 2:55 PM
Pretty sure you guys are wrong. The player will keep practicing but grow at a slower rate. 
8/20/2013 3:32 PM
I think you are all wrong.   If they are ineligible they will improve the same amount during the season as they were redshirted.

There is a difference between inelgibles that you sign and ones that become ineligible during the season.  Want proof? Put all his practice minutes into study hall and watch his abilities plummet.
8/20/2013 3:35 PM
tianyi is correct... its players who START ineligible (from recruiting) who do not improve. players who go ineligible still improve. im not sure that makes them go slower if they weren't playing in the first place - so for a redshirt - it might have no impact (unless you up SH thereby reducing improvement elsewhere). but generally its slower because you are no longer playing the player, and have more study hall (i think those are the only reasons).

i also think its a fact that ineligible players grow less in the offseason to get their grades up.
8/20/2013 3:37 PM
Academic non-qualifiers don't practice while sitting out.

Academic ineligibles (which is what this player would become) still practice according to the following. 

Q: What happens if one of my players becomes academically ineligible?
A: Couple of things will happen - you'll lose the player for the next semester (he'll still be on the roster and can practice but just won't be eligible to play). If his cumulative GPA is still not above 2.0 at the end of the next semester, he'll be academically ineligible for another semester. In addition, each time you lose a player to academics, your reputation will take a hit. Remember, these kids are here to get an education. This isn't a minor league program for the NBA you know.

Edit...and in the time it took me to dig that up and paste it, I see three others have already chimed in to this regard. Sorry for piling on.
8/20/2013 3:41 PM
ok, well mully is correct then. i meant tianyi was correct in other guys being wrong :) improvement is "generally" slower for ineligible players due to loss of PT and/or increased SH, but in this instance, its very possible there is no impact.
8/20/2013 3:41 PM
Dean Wermer is looking into this
8/20/2013 4:59 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/20/2013 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure you guys are wrong. The player will keep practicing but grow at a slower rate. 
Yep.
8/20/2013 5:33 PM
i was close
8/20/2013 6:37 PM
RS Going Academically Ineligible Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.