A roster full of SFs? Topic

I have a hunch that, if you recruit SFs and start them at every position, you could build a successful team. It might work better in some offenses and defenses, say a motion and a zone or man.

What would be the advantages?

Depth - interchangeable parts
Recruiting - SFs are a dime a dozen. Everyone is chasing guards.
Game planning - everyone can score.. A little

Has anyone tried this? My team in D3 has sucked so bad I may try this myself...
8/26/2013 9:03 PM
Would be a pretty interesting experiment.  I remember seeing a D2 team probably a year and a half ago that was entirely SF's, and they weren't very good.  The immediate problem I noticed with this team was that all of their position players were listed as "SF".  This means that the coach likely filtered his recruiting search to only include players listed at the SF position, a fatal flaw IMO. 
8/26/2013 9:30 PM
Right, I guess I didn't mean SFs per se; you might recruit 2s and 4s too. More like guys who are average at everything. For example, this D3 guy, who I got for $110. Guys like this are littering everyone's rosters.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2411277

You could have a bunch of similar guys with some variation. Of course, you could do much better than him

8/26/2013 9:49 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 8/26/2013 9:49:00 PM (view original):
Right, I guess I didn't mean SFs per se; you might recruit 2s and 4s too. More like guys who are average at everything. For example, this D3 guy, who I got for $110. Guys like this are littering everyone's rosters.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2411277

You could have a bunch of similar guys with some variation. Of course, you could do much better than him

Yea, I understood what you were saying.  I honestly have no idea how a team full of "good at everything great at nothing" players would be.  Would probably have to be a 6+6 superclass to have any shot at being legitimately competitive, especially if you threw in a true PG for good measure.
8/26/2013 9:54 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 8/26/2013 9:03:00 PM (view original):
I have a hunch that, if you recruit SFs and start them at every position, you could build a successful team. It might work better in some offenses and defenses, say a motion and a zone or man.

What would be the advantages?

Depth - interchangeable parts
Recruiting - SFs are a dime a dozen. Everyone is chasing guards.
Game planning - everyone can score.. A little

Has anyone tried this? My team in D3 has sucked so bad I may try this myself...
I haven't gone all SF's, but I believe one of my Wooster teams once had 8-9 SF's and then a couple bigs and a pure PG. It worked out fairly well, but then again most of the guys listed as SF had numbers that were more worthy of other positions  and that's how they got on my roster. The biggest advantage I saw was the small but subtle rebounding and shot blocking boost that comes from an SF vs. a typical PG or SG listed player in the game.
8/27/2013 2:10 AM
I think it stands to reason that a team full of players that were average at everything would be average overall. 
8/27/2013 3:10 AM
folks have done this periodically back to the start of HD - with some success if you pick wisely
8/27/2013 7:53 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 8/27/2013 3:10:00 AM (view original):
I think it stands to reason that a team full of players that were average at everything would be average overall. 
i disagree. an average team usually has strengths and weaknesses allocated in ways that make them, at least, a little bit better (a good coach will make those strengths and weaknesses make the team a lot better). therefore, it stands to reason that a team full of guys average in everything, is just total ****.

when i saw this post, i figured for sure, someone meant d1. in d3 arent SFs really hard to find? at least i remember it that way. seems like you throw someone at the 3 until you get to high d1 where real quality sfs exist. some of them are good enoguh to play pg, some good enough to play pf/c. a team full of elite d1 sfs, yeah, that could work, although its definitely not going to work if they are all interchangable, thats the whole point, players need to be good at certain things to play each role. but a team of d3 sfs? i dont know soudns like a disaster to me.
8/27/2013 10:06 AM
I dunno, Gil. I've had a sf at go, sf, and PF before on an nt team at d3 by chance, wouldn't take that many more steps to have the whole starting lineup that way.
8/27/2013 10:42 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 8/27/2013 10:42:00 AM (view original):
I dunno, Gil. I've had a sf at go, sf, and PF before on an nt team at d3 by chance, wouldn't take that many more steps to have the whole starting lineup that way.
true SF or just listed SF? seems like you definitely pay the biggest price at the 1 and 5, too - how many true SFs have enough bh/pass not to suck at pg? or the reb to play center? especially in the interchangeable sort of way listed by the OP... i dont know, just seems like its clearly a disadvantage over taking the best guy available at each position, and not just in a minor way. it could be fun and they could be half way decent if you do well, but its not going to be a good strategy to use when success is the goal. seems to me anyway. i could be wrong though... and just to be clear, not saying they couldnt make the NT or be decent, but its not like the nature of having 5 sfs and being able to switch them up would make them better somehow.
8/27/2013 11:08 AM
i guess if the question is, could you build a successful team... sure, you can build a successful team with only guys with the last name smith, too. its been done, they made the NT, but its not a good strategy. for fun, sure, you could do it. i guess i read the question a little differently.
8/27/2013 11:10 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/27/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
i guess if the question is, could you build a successful team... sure, you can build a successful team with only guys with the last name smith, too. its been done, they made the NT, but its not a good strategy. for fun, sure, you could do it. i guess i read the question a little differently.
Well, yeah. You aren't going to build an OPTIMAL team, for sure. Probably do it as either a motion or flex?
8/27/2013 12:33 PM
most importantly, lets not forget that if you and some buddies want to get together and all do something like this WiS will shut you down...
8/27/2013 12:37 PM
Yeah, I remember that, dacj. That was a pity. Woulda enjoyed it.
8/27/2013 12:40 PM
12 Next ▸
A roster full of SFs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.