I Would Join an 11th HD World If... Topic

Just curious what would intrigue people the most.  Don't say if the other 10 worlds were full.

What would an ideal 11th world look like to you?

I personally am intrigued by the raw/clean slates of teams and the opportunity to coach/own a team forever without having previous human coaches.  I think a 3 or 4 game a day world would be fun to try out as well.  Let's get some ideas in here.

9/9/2013 3:50 PM
I'd do it for blank slate aspect.  Actually looking at a clean team to move up a level next season or so in one of the worlds I'm in.  Zero interest in the school other than the fact that it has never had a human coach.
9/9/2013 4:19 PM
I'd love a blank slate league. I've always thought it would be cool to start a new world, let people sign up and then based on career HD wins (or even a random draw) create a "draft order" -- folks would be able to pick their school from the D3 programs based on their position on the draft list. Some folks my grab their favorite team, others might go for the strategy of grabbing one of the prime location programs. Those looking for an immediate jump to D2 might not care one way or the other who they grab. It'd just be an added element of fun.

I'd also want baseline prestige turned off. Every program starts at C...where it goes from there is entirely up to the coach (and Sim AI since nobody would be starting at D2/D1). If you can build Wyoming into an A+ national power, then you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor and skill.
9/9/2013 8:17 PM
I think that This would be very cool I would love to be able to pick up a blank slate d3 team and build them up for a while and also I would love if they made it 3 or 4 game a day that would be fun to try.
9/9/2013 9:15 PM
My competitiveness would want to participate in an all D1 "champions" world. A world where you can only apply for a job if you've won at least 1 title. 
9/9/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by rednu on 9/9/2013 8:17:00 PM (view original):
I'd love a blank slate league. I've always thought it would be cool to start a new world, let people sign up and then based on career HD wins (or even a random draw) create a "draft order" -- folks would be able to pick their school from the D3 programs based on their position on the draft list. Some folks my grab their favorite team, others might go for the strategy of grabbing one of the prime location programs. Those looking for an immediate jump to D2 might not care one way or the other who they grab. It'd just be an added element of fun.

I'd also want baseline prestige turned off. Every program starts at C...where it goes from there is entirely up to the coach (and Sim AI since nobody would be starting at D2/D1). If you can build Wyoming into an A+ national power, then you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor and skill.
The problem I see with the second paragraph, which I've brought up before and never really got an answer, would be that if the hiring logic were the same as it is currently, the first coaches to D1 would only be able to land the smaller type schools.  Then they'd simply turn *those* schools into the Duke's and Kentucky's and UNC's, etc. of that new world.  Why leave that first school when there's no inherent advantage in moving to a *bigger* school?  The first coaches to hit D1 would be playing an almost entire Sim schedule for the first couple of seasons, would rack up a ton of wins with some very deep NT runs, and their prestige would shoot straight to the top of the heap.  Why leave then?  You're already where you want to be, on top of the mountain, king of the hill.

Everything would simply get flipped upside down and you'd still end up having the same issues then as are here now.  So it's the Patriot League instead of the ACC that's the powerhouse conference, still gonna have the same *advantages* as the BCS conferences now.  The only thing that changes are the names, the problems still remain.
9/9/2013 11:54 PM (edited)
Good point emy, I guess mentally I was envisioning a relatively "free flow" to where ever in D1 rather than having to deal with the hiring logic as I typed that. You'd need something that sorted through resumes and evaluated the best candidates for an opening and picked one.

Another thing I wonder as I typed this though...if you were to hypothetically put all of D1 at a C prestige, would the uber-elite recruits actually sign anywhere or would they see all the schools as being "beneath them"? 

9/10/2013 9:13 AM
I'm retired and have almost all the time I want for HD. 

And yet I remain unemployed on Naismith and can barely work up the "want-to" to manage my other 2 teams as it is.  In fact, had I not moved to D1 on Smith I probably would have just dropped that world completely.

So I can't think of anything that would convince me to sign up for 11 worlds.  Holy crap.

9/10/2013 11:45 AM
Posted by rednu on 9/10/2013 9:13:00 AM (view original):
Good point emy, I guess mentally I was envisioning a relatively "free flow" to where ever in D1 rather than having to deal with the hiring logic as I typed that. You'd need something that sorted through resumes and evaluated the best candidates for an opening and picked one.

Another thing I wonder as I typed this though...if you were to hypothetically put all of D1 at a C prestige, would the uber-elite recruits actually sign anywhere or would they see all the schools as being "beneath them"? 

Don't get me wrong Red, coaches would still gravitate towards the big name schools just because, well, they're the big name schools.  The highly competitive coaches who get to those little schools first though would probably stay at those little schools and by the time the big schools got human coaches it might be too late to make a difference.  The little schools would be so far ahead in prestige, it would be very difficult for the big schools to catch up.  But, this is just one person's opinion.   I'm sure there are other coaches who are better than I am that would disagree 100%.
9/10/2013 12:54 PM
if all schools were C baseline, why would you have to start in the patriot league instead of going straight to the dukes and kentuckys?
9/10/2013 1:10 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 9/9/2013 9:29:00 PM (view original):
My competitiveness would want to participate in an all D1 "champions" world. A world where you can only apply for a job if you've won at least 1 title. 
I would love to see this as a draft format; coaches put in a specific résumé (so say I could submit my Tark resume) and then have WIS run their jobs evaluator, for lack of a better term, and rate them. Then let people pick their schools in order. I think it would be fascinating to see the order schools would go; do people go for the big names immediately, do they try and cherry pick schools with some geographic edge, do people flock to specific conferences, is there a draw to coach with certain other coaches, etc?
9/10/2013 2:28 PM
for me, id join any 11th world as long as colonels wasnt allowed to play :)
9/10/2013 2:40 PM
Lofl...there's the zinger everyone was waiting for...
9/10/2013 4:30 PM
I would like them to make a 3 a day world with sim times like mlb. I really get into this game but waiting for games to sims really makes me mad to some extent. I would join if they made a fresh world regardless.
9/10/2013 5:31 PM
I think a clean slate would be awesome. I have been here for a few years but that still made me late to the party. An 11th world would be really good to re-level the playing field. I doubt it will happen
9/10/2013 9:12 PM
12 Next ▸
I Would Join an 11th HD World If... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.