rules for doing a pull down Topic

just trying to clarify I understand correctly......

When you are waiting for a dropdown... that's like a d3 team waiting for a d2 player to decide he will play d3 instead...

What I'm inquiring about is a pulldown..... and that's when you send enough scouting trips to a player to get him to consider you, then you attack from there...

my question is this.....   after I call the player I want to pulldown, if he gives me a "never playing for you" response instead of a "backup" response..  can a pulldown still work?? If I scout him 10-15 times??  what's the best play for this... or is this just a case where it's not happening.

9/11/2013 6:20 PM
No means NO. You can spend $100,000 and never get him.
9/11/2013 6:25 PM
Here's the deal:  Assuming you are at D3, if a recruit is on your D2 list, that does not necessarily mean that you'll need to pull him down.  The way to tell is simple; send a coach call, letter or phone call.  Just one should do.   The response to that contact always falls into one of the following categories: recruitable, backup, or never.  If it's one of the "never" messages, then remove from your list and spend no further effort on him (out of habit I use the red or Low priority setting for this).  

If it's "backup", then you can either do nothing and wait for a "dropdown" message or attempt to pulldown with whatever effort the recruit cannot refuse.  For pulldown's, it may be so, but I'm not sure that you need to get on his considering list before sending other effort, I only ever pay attention to whether the recruit will accept visits.  If he'll accept a visit at all, then he's moved from backup to recruitable.

If he's recruitable, then you still might have a visit rejected, but usually a second effort or a few letters will get them accepting visits.

9/11/2013 7:19 PM

http://tinyurl.com/dropNpull

Check this out...
9/11/2013 8:44 PM
so if a guy tells me im backup.. i can try to pull him down.. and best way is to send scouting trips?? what's a good number...  6?? then maybe after that see if he will accept a home visit??? or is it going to take more than 6 typically
9/11/2013 9:10 PM
The short answers are: yes; 10; you'll be able to tell; & it depends.  There are a lot of forum threads on this topic.  I'll give slightly longer answers, but still incomplete:
  1. I like send at least one letter along with the scouting trips and schollie offer, but this is why local pulldowns is preferred: scouting trips are cheaper.
  2. 10 is widely accepted, but there's a risk it might only be 4 or 5.  
  3. I think you get a schollie message once he's pulled down (assuming you've sent the schollie) even when you don't show on the considering list.  It could even take a letter or 2 to get the first visit accepted, but that's not a big deal.
  4. Depends.  If a higher level or prestige team is also recruiting him, it could take 20+.  If it's after signings and no one considering, it might be much less.

9/11/2013 9:54 PM
Posted by Weena on 9/11/2013 6:25:00 PM (view original):
No means NO. You can spend $100,000 and never get him.
That's what she said...
9/11/2013 10:13 PM
Posted by zbolton1 on 9/11/2013 9:10:00 PM (view original):
so if a guy tells me im backup.. i can try to pull him down.. and best way is to send scouting trips?? what's a good number...  6?? then maybe after that see if he will accept a home visit??? or is it going to take more than 6 typically
Here's where you start to get into secretive territory...trial and error.
9/11/2013 10:15 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 9/11/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):

Check this out...
Dacj501 and I put that together a long time ago.  It needs a little updating and polish,  but overall it's pretty accurate.

9/11/2013 11:18 PM
Posted by ethan66 on 9/11/2013 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jc1796 on 9/11/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):

Check this out...
Dacj501 and I put that together a long time ago.  It needs a little updating and polish,  but overall it's pretty accurate.

Best resource out there, IMHO
9/12/2013 12:34 AM
well heres a scenario....   i'm trying to pulldown a d2 player whose decent (in d3 not good in d2).... i had him sold on my school, considering after just a couple cycles... well overnight a C+ prestige d2 team came in and now he's considering them but word on the street says he's not sold.... is this a losing battle with a d2 school, regardless how good the school is i'm competing against? even if I could offer minutes and a starting spot as a freshman, is this a losing battle?
9/12/2013 9:04 AM
not always...depends on how much money you have and how much money they have...but from the sounds of it, most likely i'd say yes.  
9/12/2013 9:27 AM
Posted by bow2dacowz on 9/12/2013 9:27:00 AM (view original):
not always...depends on how much money you have and how much money they have...but from the sounds of it, most likely i'd say yes.  
Agreed. If the D2 school wants him, they likely can get him.
9/12/2013 11:35 AM
Posted by jc1796 on 9/12/2013 11:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bow2dacowz on 9/12/2013 9:27:00 AM (view original):
Agreed. If the D2 school wants him, they likely can get him.
Unless the recruit is the 2nd coming of Lebron (in which case he wouldn't even be talking to you at D3), one of the most important skills to learn is when to cut your losses and move on.

You can go broke chasing the moon, though the D3-D2 cash isn't as big of a difference as D2-D1.  It's another good reason to have made plenty of additional phone calls to your "backup list", allowing you to target your Plan B's immediately without waiting another cycle for them to answer your phone call.

On that subject, I've become partial to calling coaches rather than the players.  Coaches will always answer you and they will give you an idea of how recruitable the kid is.  Players, on the other hand, sometimes don't even answer you or give you some fuzzy-headed nonsense about the cheerleaders at your school :)

9/12/2013 1:15 PM
quick question... I'm reading through this thread and rogelio mentioned sending a letter w/ the SVs. I've never heard of this. What is the purpose?

Thanks in advance
9/12/2013 2:42 PM
123 Next ▸
rules for doing a pull down Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.