'Guaranteed Start' Logic Topic

I just got a lousy response (I know, big surprise) from customer non-service, so I was hoping to pick the brains of our experienced coaches.
Question to Customer Support: I have a freshman that had his WE suddenly drop 36 points because I did not start him-this was the 2nd consecutive game he did not start, and his 5th overall non-start out of 23 games. I did promise him the starting job while recruiting.
-what is the threshhold for % of starts to have his WE recover?
-Are there enough games left in the season for his WE to recover?
-if not, what are the chances that he transfers?
-Do the guaranteed starts requirement also apply during conference tournament play?

Here is the response I got:
Answer: if you guarantee a player to start, then they expect to start every game that they are healthy enough to start.

This answer was not very useful. Have any of you had experience with this type of concern? Thanks!
9/17/2013 11:40 PM
I'm surprised you expected answers to those questions.  Why should WIS tell you and only you the EXACT parameters of the guaranteed start logic?  If you promise a start, start him...and I'm sure it's a case to case/player to player basis, so essentially no 2 situations would be the same.
9/17/2013 11:54 PM
How was customer support response not useful? You promised to start the player every game, you aren't, his WE is dropping as a result.
9/17/2013 11:58 PM
So you want to figure out how much lying the recruit will accept? Why the need to weasel about? Just start him instead trying to get one over.

No offense.
9/18/2013 12:02 AM
The guaranteed starts do not apply to the tournaments
9/18/2013 3:01 AM
Not to jump on board with the other responders, but yeah, if you promise a start then you need to start the guy.  Sitting him any games is a gamble.

I'll add one thing about the response that may be a little misleading though,  The part where it says, "healthy enough to start" that means if they can hobble on to the court they expect to play.  Whatever that threshold is (I don't remember off the top of my head) that they can get get back on the court the player will expect to start.  Don't wait for an injured player to get back to 90%.  You have to start him as soon as he is eligible

9/18/2013 5:38 AM
Yeah I hear what you all are saying. With that said, when I coached A bit in the past, my starters would start a high majority of the time, but due to any number of reasons (a particular matchup, discipline, etc) they may miss an occasional start. Of course I know this is a higher level, a computer game, and all things are not equal. I thought I saw an old post that said the expectation was around 80+% or so...I was just trying to confirm whether I was dreaming that up or not.

Thanks for the info regarding the conference tournaments.

Milwood, the threshhold for an injured player expecting to start is 60%...I did actually read that in the Knowledge Base.
9/18/2013 8:00 AM
You can miss a few games of starts, usually no more than about four (roughly 80%), during the regular season. What alblack said about the postseason is true - none of it counts for promised starts. You can sit the guy and not play him at all and it won't matter if that's what you want to do.
9/18/2013 8:52 AM
usually if you start them in 21 of the 26 regular season games you're safe, but as with minutes promises, some kids are more picky than others so it isn't a hard-and-fast rule.
9/18/2013 9:23 AM
Love your comment about sitting a guy for disciplinary reasons. I have done that even though I know it doesn't do anything. Often wish I could take action when a player chirps for minutes or his WE drops. ("Relax, you are going to start next year!") I have cut players whose attitudes I did not like. Once cut a guy whose attitude was bad and whose face made it worse.
9/18/2013 10:52 AM
I can't find the posts I want to use but based on my experience and some notes I have there appears to be some confusion. As far as I can tell the 80% starts is a forum myth. I think people are getting GS confused with Guaranteed Minutes. On GM the threshold is between 80 - 90%, with no complaints above 90. With Guaranteed Starts, it is what it is. You must start him!
9/18/2013 12:02 PM
Posted by MyGeneration on 9/18/2013 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Love your comment about sitting a guy for disciplinary reasons. I have done that even though I know it doesn't do anything. Often wish I could take action when a player chirps for minutes or his WE drops. ("Relax, you are going to start next year!") I have cut players whose attitudes I did not like. Once cut a guy whose attitude was bad and whose face made it worse.
+1
9/18/2013 3:28 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 9/18/2013 12:02:00 PM (view original):
I can't find the posts I want to use but based on my experience and some notes I have there appears to be some confusion. As far as I can tell the 80% starts is a forum myth. I think people are getting GS confused with Guaranteed Minutes. On GM the threshold is between 80 - 90%, with no complaints above 90. With Guaranteed Starts, it is what it is. You must start him!
you can for sure get away with some missed starts - how many - depends - dont count on 80%
9/19/2013 6:59 AM
I think they complain more if they miss consecutive starts. If you spread them out a little, it seems to help
9/19/2013 9:02 AM
I regularly promise starts to FR and start them exactly 21 games with no problems (note 21/26 starts is just a shade over 80%).  They WILL complain if you bench them early in the season and let the % drop below 80%.  I can't guarantee that 80% is the magic number for all players, but it sure seems like it to me.
9/19/2013 9:59 AM
123 Next ▸
'Guaranteed Start' Logic Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.