Inform of Non-RS question. Would this work? Topic

Let's say I'm battling another school over an elite recruit.

I sink $20k and he is considering me and the other school but realize I would never win in a "fair fight" against the other school.

So I inform the recruit of RS.

Recruit tells me to f*ck off.  I am dropped from his considering list.

The other school thinks I have backed off and spends the rest of his money elsewhere.

Cycle before signings, I inform the recruit of non-redshirt.

Here is my question:  Does my $20k of effort return?  Or is that effort now erased?  Has anyone ever tried this?
9/19/2013 1:32 PM
I tried something similar at D3 a few months ago. I got a scholarship message indicating I was ahead in recruiting battle but wasn't sure if I wanted the guy or not. or wanted to spend more money on him before locking up my other recruits, so I informed of RS.

The recruit dropped me from considering, but before signings I informed of non RS and I showed back up on his considering list BUT the scholarship message I got now said I was behind. Either the inform of RS got me or the other guy put in more effort or both, but I was then behind.

I was able to get the recruit to sign with me by putting in some more effort (and thankfully I had the recruiting cash to get it done) and the other coach apparently didn't put in any more effort as it didn't take as much as I would have thought.
9/19/2013 1:39 PM
Posted by toysboys on 9/19/2013 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Let's say I'm battling another school over an elite recruit.

I sink $20k and he is considering me and the other school but realize I would never win in a "fair fight" against the other school.

So I inform the recruit of RS.

Recruit tells me to f*ck off.  I am dropped from his considering list.

The other school thinks I have backed off and spends the rest of his money elsewhere.

Cycle before signings, I inform the recruit of non-redshirt.

Here is my question:  Does my $20k of effort return?  Or is that effort now erased?  Has anyone ever tried this?
It returns at a diminished rate. I don't know what the penalty is but I would guess somewhere around 15%.
9/19/2013 2:18 PM
I believe the net effect of inform of RS+inform of non-RS is slightly/somewhat negative.  You would get most of your effort back, but would be a little behind where you were previously.  Exactly what bistiza said.

Seems like a pretty clever move.  People do tend to move on and spend on other targets if they think you've given up on the battle. 
9/19/2013 2:19 PM
there are two effects - whatever the net effect of RS plus not RS - and the effect of considering credit for however long the other guy is being considered alone

9/19/2013 5:44 PM
I used to use a version of that in D1 recruiting: promise a ton of minutes and a start in order to get a recruit to only consider me.  Once he was only considering me, I would inform of a redshirt; inform of a non-redshirt, and do a couple home visits all in the same cycle.  Once you inform of a redshirt it wipes out all promises.  But once you do it, even after you pull it back, it costs you.  I always just figured it was around a grand.  I don't know how affective the strategy was.  I used it a couple of times and I'm not sure it gave me more of an advantage than just spending another grand on the guy instead of the promises.  I never really found a $ equivalent for promising a start and max minutes, and if it was more than a $1000 value. It still works, by the way. But an inform of a redshirt does not wipe out promises once the recruit is signed.  I recently did an experiment with that.
9/20/2013 12:09 AM
Wow, I need to pay attention better...I never knew informing of a redshirt negated promises if you pulled the redshirt back off later in recruiting. I can think of a few minutes promises I've offered I'd have done that to in a heartbeat if I knew I had that option.
9/20/2013 12:39 AM
Wow, I need to pay attention better...I never knew informing of a redshirt negated promises if you pulled the redshirt back off later in recruiting. I can think of a few minutes promises I've offered I'd have done that to in a heartbeat if I knew I had that option.

I've known this for some time now just from reading this forum. My understanding is this is a common technique used by coaches to negate promises made before the recruit signs.
9/20/2013 1:26 PM
Inform of Non-RS question. Would this work? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.