Strange Redshirt Topic

Have a player who I tried to redshirt, he complained so I reinstated him.  No big deal.  Now 11 games into the season. He has not played a single minute.  Never complained.  Tried to redshirt him again and I got the mad as hell email and WE dropped 65.  This sure makes sense. I would sure want to sit the entire year without playing and not redshirt.  How about you?
9/20/2013 9:48 PM
Apparently, way back (before I joined HD), people would intentionally sit someone who wouldn't take a redshirt in order to bait them into taking a redshirt without getting upset. It's my understanding that HD closed the loophole. 
9/20/2013 10:53 PM
Once they've rejected a redshirt and you've removed it, you can no longer get a better outcome on a future redshirt attempt.  Best case scenario is that they'll lose the same amount of WE, but they virtually always lose more, usually just about all of it.
9/20/2013 11:56 PM
Posted by willibphx on 9/20/2013 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Have a player who I tried to redshirt, he complained so I reinstated him.  No big deal.  Now 11 games into the season. He has not played a single minute.  Never complained.  Tried to redshirt him again and I got the mad as hell email and WE dropped 65.  This sure makes sense. I would sure want to sit the entire year without playing and not redshirt.  How about you?
If you had sat him for the 11 games without trying to redshirt him first he might have accepted it. After you tried to redshirt and failed theres no chance its going to happen.
9/21/2013 3:09 AM
check the 6/26/12 release notes

http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/site_updates.asp?sport=HD&numdays=3305
9/21/2013 3:47 AM
Posted by tarvolon on 9/20/2013 10:53:00 PM (view original):
Apparently, way back (before I joined HD), people would intentionally sit someone who wouldn't take a redshirt in order to bait them into taking a redshirt without getting upset. It's my understanding that HD closed the loophole. 
yeah they closed it, but not sure why it's a "loophole".  Like the original post complains, why would a guy not take it without playing in 11 games?  or without playing in 25 games?  
9/21/2013 6:25 AM
if just sitting a guy for 10 or 20 games would get him to take a RS, then top teams would RS great recruits.  This is one spot where the question really is more one of game play and less realism - what makes the game good
9/21/2013 6:38 AM
Posted by yanks250125 on 9/21/2013 6:25:00 AM (view original):
yeah they closed it, but not sure why it's a "loophole".  Like the original post complains, why would a guy not take it without playing in 11 games?  or without playing in 25 games?  
It happens a lot in real life. Most of the time they will take the redshirt but be very unhappy about it. In a lot of cases the player will transfer because they are so unhappy. You don't have the threat of transferring in HD thought which takes away the risk.
9/21/2013 12:24 PM
Because people were just offering and taking off and re-offering until the recruit finally accepted.  

As others have mentioned, if he'd have kept the redshirt talk quiet until 11 games of not playing have gone by the odds would have increased.

Also - There is an inform of redshirt button that works quite well in situations where you'll want to redshirt a player.  I suggest try that next time.
9/21/2013 1:15 PM
Posted by ll316 on 9/21/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Because people were just offering and taking off and re-offering until the recruit finally accepted.  

As others have mentioned, if he'd have kept the redshirt talk quiet until 11 games of not playing have gone by the odds would have increased.

Also - There is an inform of redshirt button that works quite well in situations where you'll want to redshirt a player.  I suggest try that next time.
I don't use the inform of redshirt button, the 2 times I did the recruit went from considering me to not considering me.
9/21/2013 8:44 PM

also, there is a threat of transfering in HD.  I have never seen it happen on my teams, but I know it's possible.

other might be able to comment on when a player will transfer....  I am sure it has to do with breaking promised starts and minutes. 

9/23/2013 9:16 AM
You mean why wouldnt a guy who's played 3 seasons of college ball decide to graduate school and get a real job vs staying at school for a 5th season ?
9/23/2013 9:44 AM
Posted by brianxavier on 9/23/2013 9:16:00 AM (view original):

also, there is a threat of transfering in HD.  I have never seen it happen on my teams, but I know it's possible.

other might be able to comment on when a player will transfer....  I am sure it has to do with breaking promised starts and minutes. 

Only had it happen once in my gazillion seasons (might have to update this after a season as I have two kids griping for lack of playing time right now and barring injury neither is going to sniff the PT they claim they deserve), but when the kid transfered it was over a promis of 15 minutes per game that I'd delivered on roughly 80 percent of. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was enough that I was a bit stunned to see it happen in that case (considering there have been other times I've intentionally TRIED to get kids to leave and never had any success...)

ETA; Just dug back and found my old post on it. The player in question had been promised 15 mpg and averaged 12.3 mpg for the regular season, so just a smidge over 80 percent.
9/23/2013 10:44 AM (edited)
Posted by jawivdotorg on 9/21/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ll316 on 9/21/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):

I don't use the inform of redshirt button, the 2 times I did the recruit went from considering me to not considering me.
All you have to do to fix this is to offer enough home visits or campus visits to compensate for any negative impact the inform of redshirt has.

Also, don't inform if you are in a battle or don't have the cash for what I just said above. Otherwise, if you give him enough attention before the inform of redshirt, then he'll keep considering you (and will sign with you unless someone else gives him more attention).

9/23/2013 11:45 AM
Rarely have I had a negative reaction to the inform to RS.  Of course, I'm not shooting for players too far out of my league.  I like the flexibility of informing multiple players so I have options.  If you do it early enough, you can remove it without any problems, but like bistiza said, you obviously don't want to use it if you're in a battle.
10/1/2013 11:30 PM
Strange Redshirt Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.