If you know your opponent is going to double team either your star or many players on your team, what is the best strategy to adjust to it?  Flatten out your distribution?  Increase the number of 3s that your team takes?  

Thanks!
9/25/2013 10:25 AM
Taking more 3s wouldn't help much if he was set to +2 or better.

The best counter to double teams comes earlier than the gameplanning for that game.  It involves trying as best you can to have balanced scoring and depth rather than relying on one player to carry your offense.  And that effort starts way back with recruiting.

9/25/2013 3:27 PM
Posted by ethan66 on 9/25/2013 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Taking more 3s wouldn't help much if he was set to +2 or better.

The best counter to double teams comes earlier than the gameplanning for that game.  It involves trying as best you can to have balanced scoring and depth rather than relying on one player to carry your offense.  And that effort starts way back with recruiting.

I've never agreed with this. Being too balanced just doesn't work all that well in most cases, because then you aren't getting the most out of your best 2 or 3 players. When you have mostly equal distro, sure there's nobody to double team but at the same time your 5th best scorer is going to take a similar amount of shots as your best scorer and that's just not ideal. 

As far as adjusting to a double team, I say don't worry about it too much. Double teams aren't all the effective, to be honest. If you have a capable #2 scorer I'd up his distro a bit, but besides that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. 
9/25/2013 3:33 PM
i agree with kmason. if you run a 1 man show, you know your team isnt that good anyway. with a couple stronger scorers, if one gets double teamed, it can hurt a little, it seems. all in all i feel like double teams dont work as one would expect in this game, instead of having a substantial effect on the scoring of one player and decreasing the defense played on the rest of the team (particularly the 4th or 5th man), it seems like double teams ever so slightly hurt the performance of the lead player, with maybe no effect elsewhere? im not that confident in that though, or id double team ever game, and i dont (well, didnt when i coached teams). all in all it seems like whatever the effects are, they are slight.
9/25/2013 4:50 PM
I'm shocked by the lack of collective knowledge on this one.  Coach_Billy, I think you need to get back into coaching to investigate this one.
9/27/2013 11:50 AM
I recently double teamed my opponents SF because he is a dominant scorer. My team is pretty damn good defensively anyways, but even with the added double team he managed to straight light it up...even hit the game winning shot in overtime.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9911910

9/27/2013 10:37 PM
if you know they are going to double several of your guys, game plan as usual and just smile

if you have one dominant scorer and you know he will be doubled, consider

a. increasing the distro of your 2nd and 3rd best scorers
b. recruit some other scorers

9/28/2013 8:01 AM
This is one of the hardest things to nail down with any confidence, even if you've played hundreds of seasons.  There are just so many variables in play.  
9/28/2013 2:05 PM
Does anyone ever use the "Always Doubleteam" option, or just if they are the leading scorer?  Whenever I consider using the always setting, I can't help but think of this disaster.

10/13/2013 8:22 PM
I don't have a lot of Man to Man teams, but when I do, I rarely double team a very good ball handler or passer. But I will double team a low post player if they are a big scorer and have bad BH and P. Then I will adjust my defense out a little bit. That would be a case where I would set it on "always"
10/13/2013 11:23 PM
Posted by clouseb on 10/13/2013 8:22:00 PM (view original):
Does anyone ever use the "Always Doubleteam" option, or just if they are the leading scorer?  Whenever I consider using the always setting, I can't help but think of this disaster.

Always doubleteam is a bit misleading, in that it doesn't do what Loyola did with Curry.

In HD, doubleteams apply only when the player has the ball (both always and leading scorer). So with always, every time he gets passed the ball, there is a second player coming to guard him. With leading scorer, this only occurs when he is the leading scorer for that team on the floor (not in the game) and when he is passed the ball.

By design then, the doubleteams do nothing to keep a player from getting the ball (which is what Loyola did to Curry). Only once a player has the ball, does the doubleteam even take effect - and its impact is (IMO) often far too little.
10/14/2013 11:01 PM
I find the double team causes more turnovers than it does missed shots.
10/14/2013 11:20 PM
I know this has been asked, but I don't remember the answer. If you double team "if leading scorer," is it if he is the leading scorer overall or the leading scorer on the court at the time?

Thought I'd post here instead of starting new thread...
10/15/2013 10:36 AM
On the court
10/15/2013 1:24 PM
thanks
10/15/2013 2:26 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.