Who would want to join THE FIRM? Topic

I had this crazy idea over dunkin iced coffee this morning...

THE FIRM would be a WhatIfSports ID where the password is shared amongst 5 or so experienced coaches. The goal is to create the most invincible HD coach of all-time.

Each of the 5 would have a role, for example-

Head Coach and Co-Head Coach
Two coaches whose jobs are to gameplan each week. Perhaps one researches teams in advance and provides a starting point for the other, who does the final customization of the game plan. Obviously they'd work very closely together, but the idea is they'd have the time to pay extra close attention to strategies and results.

Athletic Director
The scheduling guy. His #1 priority is to create the absolute perfect non-conference and exhibition schedules each season. The AD would have to have his hand on the pulse of the world and be an expert in estimating team progress and success. He'd also lead any discussions on job applications.

Director of Player Development
The practice planner. We all have general rules of thumb we use for developing players in terms of practice minutes - it'd be his job to figure out the most intimate details of how work ethic and playing time impact development. Obviously would work closely with the Coaches to see who's going to get playing time, etc.

Head Recruiter/General Manager
All coaches will have a hand in recruiting. Being that it's the most important and philosophically complex part of the game, five heads would be better than one (not only does recruiting impact everyone else's job, but there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.) Plus, it helps having five guys monitor the cycles. The Head Recruiter would steer the ship. He has the ultimate say in recruiting strategy and is the master of all things prestige, FSS and effort to cost ratio. The General Manager role would be more of a player evaluation position, which governs recruit rankings and basically takes everyone's input to determine which players are actually "good". The GM could be a different person from the Head Recruiter but if you were to combine two positions, I think these would make the most sense.

Now, outside of some obvious collusion gray areas, I think it would be fun to be a part of a coaching staff like this. THE FIRM would obviously be unsatisfied with anything less than undefeated championship seasons and prodigious dynasties. All 5 coaches would rotate season purchases so you'd actually get to play at a discount (and that's BEFORE the credits start rolling in).

So...any thoughts?
9/25/2013 1:32 PM (edited)
Sounds fun to me....
9/25/2013 1:30 PM
Muhahahaa...power! Unlimited power!!! And the targeted ire of every coach in the world. I love it. In!!!
9/25/2013 2:01 PM
a ton of people have coached teams together before, i dont think there is any collusion concern as long as these coaches dont also have teams within 1000 miles of said program. probably, for the sake of moving around in a reasonably unmolested fashion, it would be ideal if most or all of the coaches didnt have other teams in that world at all, but i dont think that is a requirement?
9/25/2013 2:21 PM
Cool idea. Wish I had time to add another team
9/25/2013 2:23 PM
I have a lot of open worlds.   I could do this.
9/25/2013 2:35 PM
As much fun as it would be to play with Jimmy Page, I'll have to decline.  That band sucked.
9/25/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/25/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
I have a lot of open worlds.   I could do this.
The question is whether it would be better to do a 1 or 2 game-a-day world. 1 a day would give the gameplanners more time discuss plans, but 2 makes sense because people have less "tasks" than if they coached their own team.

Then again, if the goal is to absolutely dominate, the necessary micromanagement of everyone would definitely increase the tasks.
9/25/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 9/25/2013 2:21:00 PM (view original):
a ton of people have coached teams together before, i dont think there is any collusion concern as long as these coaches dont also have teams within 1000 miles of said program. probably, for the sake of moving around in a reasonably unmolested fashion, it would be ideal if most or all of the coaches didnt have other teams in that world at all, but i dont think that is a requirement?
that would be ideal, but not a requirement.
9/25/2013 2:56 PM
I am already all of these.
9/25/2013 3:16 PM
I would love to but trust issues come in to play, with people stealing credit card info and the overall account or not paying the right amounts. It just seems like so many things have to work.
9/25/2013 3:25 PM
I know exactly who i want on my coaching dream team
9/25/2013 4:49 PM
to me the hardest part is getting 5(!!) guys to recruit together. two is hard enough. i could see like, 2 coaches to handle recruiting, 2 coaches to handle everything else. its important that there is quality communication between the recruiting team and the season team, in terms of team planning strategy and such. all in all, i think its a great idea - would love to hear how it turns out! but it just seems, from experience co-coaching with just 2, that having 5 people recruit is going to be very difficult!

if you were going to cut to 4, in the roles suggested, my personal opinion is the odd man out is the practice planner... i mean really, can you have a more boring job? in old HD, maybe, but in new HD its such a smaller piece of the puzzle, i think that guy would get pretty bored. maybe let the AD or assistant coach do it? i mean, say this team is awesome, wins 5 straight titles. are you going to be like YES!! AND I SET THE PRACTICE PLANS!! =) just a thought. but i think it would be a great idea, id love to participate if i wasnt already co-coaching.
9/25/2013 9:25 PM (edited)
Can I apply to be the General Manager job?  Perhaps the general manager(/director of scouting) would also be a good practice planner because they would know the high/highs and such of the recruits coming.  I would LOVE this job.  If you're truly looking to start this, I want that spot.  
9/25/2013 6:42 PM
I'll join in...
9/25/2013 7:19 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Who would want to join THE FIRM? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.