Think he knows Andy Dufresne? Topic

The nerd in me found this to be pretty awesome. Didn't even know it was a real place.

www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx

9/26/2013 11:58 PM
That's awesome, actually a good lookin player too.
9/27/2013 1:29 AM
That's some pretty impressive recall of a minor, insignificant fact.

I am impressed,and this is coming from a guy who searches for Enrico Pallozo each season.
9/27/2013 9:41 AM
It's not really a minor insignificant fact, though. It's a central plot point.

I really enjoyed the Family Guy parody with the more realistic ending where he forgets the name of the town.

9/27/2013 9:54 AM
Really, the name of the town in Mexico is the central plot point?

Do you remember the name of the town the prison was in?  Or the name of the country club Andy went to before he went to prison?  Would the plot have been any better if the goal was to get to El Bajopuerco, Mexico?
9/27/2013 10:23 AM
Scotty likes him some google....he'll have those answers for ya, he's never wrong!
9/27/2013 10:29 AM
Yes, the name of the town is ONE OF the central plot points. Red has to remember it in order to find Andy at the end (as was comically depicted in the Family Guy episode where he doesn't remember it). So it ultimately has incredible significance to the storyline.

The names of other towns in the story are rather insignificant by comparison because none of the plot is focused on them as much.

Which town it was in Mexico (or anywhere, for that matter) isn't relevant. The fact that he had to remember the name of the town, however, IS very much relevant - and since it has a greater relevance, it's not "a minor insignificant fact" for anyone to remember it.

9/27/2013 11:17 AM
taint go talk to your invisible friend somewhere else
9/27/2013 11:18 AM
Posted by bistiza on 9/27/2013 11:17:00 AM (view original):
Yes, the name of the town is ONE OF the central plot points. Red has to remember it in order to find Andy at the end (as was comically depicted in the Family Guy episode where he doesn't remember it). So it ultimately has incredible significance to the storyline.

The names of other towns in the story are rather insignificant by comparison because none of the plot is focused on them as much.

Which town it was in Mexico (or anywhere, for that matter) isn't relevant. The fact that he had to remember the name of the town, however, IS very much relevant - and since it has a greater relevance, it's not "a minor insignificant fact" for anyone to remember it.

It's hard to argue that logic.
9/27/2013 11:22 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/27/2013 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 9/27/2013 11:17:00 AM (view original):

It's hard to argue that logic.
If he wouldn't have remembered the town then he would have never found Andy in the end!  Would the ending be good if he ended up in Mexico lost?  Hell no.
9/27/2013 4:04 PM
It's not an insignificant fact for the character, but it's insignificant for the viewer. If Andy had given him the account and routing numbers to  a dummy account, that would've also been important to remember for the characters, but I'd be pretty damn impressed if a viewer remembered them. 
9/27/2013 5:18 PM
Also, nice find, bow. Pretty awesome. 
9/27/2013 5:18 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/27/2013 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Really, the name of the town in Mexico is the central plot point?

Do you remember the name of the town the prison was in?  Or the name of the country club Andy went to before he went to prison?  Would the plot have been any better if the goal was to get to El Bajopuerco, Mexico?
I would say it is central (or at least significant) because had it been the name of the prison town or country club, I would not have recognized it.  However, I (and probably many others) immediately recognized it when we saw it.  I suspect many of us would also have been able to recall it without any prompting.  Now, I don't think the name itself is a central plot point; it's probably only uttered twice in the whole movie.  However, having seen the movie many, many times, it's pretty easy to remember it.  
9/28/2013 2:01 PM
By the way - since we are way in the weeds on this, it's a great little fishing town in real life.  I honeymooned there 4 years ago and then returned a couple years ago too.  It's not the beach you see in the end of the movie (that was St. Croix, USVI) but it's situated on a beautiful bay.

Ironically, the plaza in the town center is a basketball court, which is certainly where young Pedro Santiago honed his skills.

9/28/2013 4:39 PM
It's been besieged by drug trade in the last 18 months or so...literally stacking bodies on the beach
10/1/2013 8:47 PM
12 Next ▸
Think he knows Andy Dufresne? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.