Are battles all about money? Topic

Whoever sends the most CV at the end wins?
10/3/2013 2:37 AM
Prestige is a factor, also.  
10/3/2013 3:48 AM
its really mostly about the overall recruiting effort value. Spending (spending wisely) is one aspect. Distance and prestige are 2 more. A 4th factor that isn't part of that equation is timing. Prestige differences are somewhat difficult to factor, given the sliding scale. 2 coaches with B+ prestige could still be almost 2/3 of a letter grade apart if one of them is just over the cusp into B+ from B while the other is just a shade below moving up to A-. Also, few people are willing to share their actual value of prestige, for obvious competitive reasons. 

Distance, of course, isn't really an actual factor in getting that final recruiting value, its more of a limiter on how much effort coaches will be able to send given the cost of the effort at distance. 

A fifth factor is balls, coupled with a sense of knowing when you are likely to lose. If you get to a point where you feel comfortable with your values for things like prestige, and you factor in prestige giving yourself a 2/3 letter grade cushion, just in case* (not that when dealing with A+ there is no cap, so a very high A+ could be much more than 2/3 higher than an A-) and you still feel you can win then sticking to it and not getting scared off is a big factor...
10/3/2013 5:21 AM
Gotcha, Fuking 1st year A- coach comes in late and steals my guy...
10/3/2013 10:27 AM
That's gonna happen.   My general plan in recruiting is to identify who is really important for me to get, put in enough effort to get them to consider me, and then leave a pile of cash in reserve to protect the late arriving coaches.

My goal is to only spend 20% of my recruiting budget (not counting FSS) before signings and lock up two key players.   This doesn't always happen though and I am happy if I have spent less than 50%.
10/3/2013 10:39 AM
Posted by vegask on 10/3/2013 10:27:00 AM (view original):
Gotcha, Fuking 1st year A- coach comes in late and steals my guy...
Definitely have to get over this mind set. Nobody is "your guy" and recruits can't be stolen. Having that mind set will just lead to you constantly getting mad during recruiting. All you can do is properly protect yourself and hope that somebody doesn't come along with more cash. 
10/3/2013 10:54 AM
Also, prestige doesn't really matter much at all in D2/D3. It matters in who will talk to you, but once you're in on a guy, it's a pretty small factor.
10/3/2013 10:59 AM
Had the kid locked up then he comes out of nowhere and must've dropped $10k on the kid...

Oh well, I just turned around and offered the guys other recruits who were on the fence guaranteed starting spots on my team....little *****.

10/3/2013 11:09 AM
Posted by vegask on 10/3/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Had the kid locked up then he comes out of nowhere and must've dropped $10k on the kid...

Oh well, I just turned around and offered the guys other recruits who were on the fence guaranteed starting spots on my team....little *****.

Those won't mean anything unless you've put some effort into it. Look at it from their perspective...some coach who they've never talked to is offering them a start?  No reason to believe him.
10/3/2013 11:20 AM
P.S.  But I do fully support messing with coaches who come in late.  If there's no downside to them doing it then they'll do it all the time.
10/3/2013 11:20 AM
I do it all the time.  I just don't get why people think it is a <insert negative adjective here> way to recruit.

Most of the time when I "poach" recruits, it takes minimal effort (< the $ we get for a scholarship).   I don't get the the recruit should be mine because I spent $900 to get him, philosophy.
10/3/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/3/2013 11:30:00 AM (view original):
I do it all the time.  I just don't get why people think it is a <insert negative adjective here> way to recruit.

Most of the time when I "poach" recruits, it takes minimal effort (< the $ we get for a scholarship).   I don't get the the recruit should be mine because I spent $900 to get him, philosophy.
Agreed. It's a really dumb mindset, and it actually baffles me that people think like that. Sure it's frustrating, but actually getting mad about it and wanting to retaliate, that's just silly. I had it done to me a few times and learned my lesson, and now I do it nearly every recruiting period with my BCS schools. 
10/3/2013 11:58 AM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 10/3/2013 11:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/3/2013 11:30:00 AM (view original):

Agreed. It's a really dumb mindset, and it actually baffles me that people think like that. Sure it's frustrating, but actually getting mad about it and wanting to retaliate, that's just silly. I had it done to me a few times and learned my lesson, and now I do it nearly every recruiting period with my BCS schools. 
I agree that it's part of the game, just frustrating. Retaliation makes me feel better though

I wouldn't have minded much if it was a guy who built up his program rather then a first year coach taking over a good A- program.

10/3/2013 12:20 PM (edited)
Are you talking about David Joyce, Vegas?  Because if that's the guy that you're upset about getting "poached", didn't you in fact poach him from me first?  I'm not complaining because I didn't plan on battling for him, but I do know that I was the first on his list.  So this whole "he stole my guy" mentality is pretty hypocritical.

10/3/2013 1:02 PM
Posted by danpilgrim1 on 10/3/2013 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Are you talking about David Joyce, Vegas?  Because if that's the guy that you're upset about getting "poached", didn't you in fact poach him from me first?  I'm not complaining because I didn't plan on battling for him, but I do know that I was the first on his list.  So this whole "he stole my guy" mentality is pretty hypocritical.

I don't remember but I sent scouting trips and CV/Scholy first cycle.

Just clarifying that my original question wasn't about ethics...guy was bragging in conference about how much money he had to get him so I was just wondering if he sends 5 CV's or something near the end if I was done for.

10/3/2013 2:35 PM
12 Next ▸
Are battles all about money? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.