Starts, Minutes, Work Ethic and Skill Development Topic

Are starts a factor in WE or skill devlopment growth?

I thought minutes were the important variable but I am now questioning that.

In a nut shell, if Player A average 20 minutes a game will he develop faster if he starts 25 games than if he comes off the bench?
10/7/2013 9:40 AM
From the FAQ:

Q: How do I improve a players work ethic?
A: You can't - it's up to the player. Some kids will respond to playing time, some kids won't. Some kids will respond to starting, some won't.

That said, from my experience starts always seem to help with WE.  Whether that's because they are starting - or just playing more minutes than they likely would from the bench, I don't know...

As an aside, I have been using target minutes alot with my M2M teams (when I don't think it will cost me the game) to give lesser players starts, but less minutes than they otherwise would obtain on fatigue settings, and it seems to help WE.  I don't like to use target minutes ever with press teams though.

I had long assumed that starts always increased WE, but stumbled upon the FAQ above recently.  I guess it's possible that some players won't increase WE with starts.
10/7/2013 11:36 AM
I've never seen a player that didn't have a correlation between # of starts and an increased rate of WE improvement.
10/7/2013 10:27 PM
I had a player with 1 WE start and get 20 minutes a game his freshman year and his WE did not budge from 1.
10/8/2013 2:26 AM
Sorry 16.4 minutes a game, maybe he needed to play more minutes with his starts?
10/8/2013 2:28 AM
Posted by clarebear on 10/8/2013 2:26:00 AM (view original):
I had a player with 1 WE start and get 20 minutes a game his freshman year and his WE did not budge from 1.
WE is similar to other skills in that it takes more effort and/or time to increase if it is very low or very high. It would take starting, a lot of minutes per game, and Conditioning practice minutes to see any real change in a player like that.
10/8/2013 4:41 AM
Starts, Minutes, Work Ethic and Skill Development Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.