Ain't too proud to beg-need HELP w/first BCS gig Topic

I just took over Villanova (3-24, 1-15) in the Smith World. Here's the roster I'm left with:

www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx

Not pretty, of course, which was why I was able to land it with only a C+ prestige. I'm faced with only one scholarship opening, but a roster full of players that would be a middle-of-the-road team in D2. I'm trying to decide how many cuts to make, who to build around, etc. Any input is welcome.
10/24/2013 8:22 PM
I would avoid cutting the current listed juniors as they will give you some scholarship money to work with rather soon. Just my first thought with a quick glance. 
10/24/2013 8:39 PM
Yeah, those guys are no great shakes, but I was more focused on which of the FR and SO I should "build around" if any. It's a thin gruel, that's for sure.
10/24/2013 8:48 PM
Jones could be okay depending on potentials. But as far as building goes, I'd just start that building "foundation" with this first class. 

I'd probably cut the rest of the youngins' sides Jones(y). I should I also say I only have four years of D1 experience and zero at a BCS so await better replies from others. 
10/24/2013 9:10 PM
Thanks, Thinair. Jones is red in ATH/SPD, but has upside potential in most other areas.
10/24/2013 9:24 PM
Cut all three sophomores. Keep all the juniors. Just put up with them.
10/25/2013 3:39 AM
The other option is to take the very long view, which would be:
1) cut no one, despite the fact they are awful
2) recruit no one this season, or a D2 1-season transfer to keep a small carryover
3) Go into next season with 6 slots available, start your rebuild there, and start all the frosh recruits so they develop quickly
4) With an empty class, you'd have no recruiting slots in season 73, so you'd get 100% carryover of Big East tournament $$ into season 74...
5) ...when you'd have 6 slots and a nice chunk of change.

You'd be terrible for 2-3 seasons, and you'd be mediocre and playing almost exclusively slowdown for a season or 2 after that.  But you could make real leaps forward by season 75.  I'm not saying this is "correct" or even that I could stand to do it-- but you do need to consider the long-term impact of slot management when making your cut decisions.

10/25/2013 9:46 AM
agreed. the sophs are too much dead weight for too long. leave the JRs and SRs, schedule yourself 10 super-easy noncon wins next season, and build slowly with what you can. you're looking at a 4-season cycle to vague respectability, longer to annual postseasons, unless the Big East is super-dominant and you can recruit a ton of internationals with extra cash. 

Edit to respond to Edelman: this is also a VERY good alternative, but the main potential issue is not being able to fill all those openings when the big class comes around. Then the whole extra-cash thing is shot. In that season, you'd be better off adding another scrub than leaving a hole. 

10/25/2013 9:49 AM
Posted by dedelman on 10/25/2013 9:46:00 AM (view original):
The other option is to take the very long view, which would be:
1) cut no one, despite the fact they are awful
2) recruit no one this season, or a D2 1-season transfer to keep a small carryover
3) Go into next season with 6 slots available, start your rebuild there, and start all the frosh recruits so they develop quickly
4) With an empty class, you'd have no recruiting slots in season 73, so you'd get 100% carryover of Big East tournament $$ into season 74...
5) ...when you'd have 6 slots and a nice chunk of change.

You'd be terrible for 2-3 seasons, and you'd be mediocre and playing almost exclusively slowdown for a season or 2 after that.  But you could make real leaps forward by season 75.  I'm not saying this is "correct" or even that I could stand to do it-- but you do need to consider the long-term impact of slot management when making your cut decisions.

trying to keep up here, that leaves him with a 6/0/6/0 class structure? i really, really do not recommend that kind of structure to anyone.
10/25/2013 10:31 AM
Was intending 3/3/0/6... did I screw it up? 

Also, after the first 0 --> 6 redshirts and non-frosh recruits may be used to balance... but isn't there a ton of value in a single 0 --> 6  in rebuilding?
10/25/2013 10:53 AM
I love rebuilds (Campbell's roster was so bad when I took over, that I'm pretty sure the D-2 Lynn program had a better roster) but I'm also really competitive. I expect to lose a TON of games this season, with the all-human coached non-con schedule I inherited, and quite a few next season (I'm hoping for something like 13-13 (3-13 in conference). But I'd like to see respectability by season 3, and a post-season appearance by season 4. I already cut Bucher (he was 40 ATH, and was red there), and am looking at likely cutting the other two Sophs as well. Will probably only look to land 1 or 2 recruits this season, even with (probably) 4 slots open, and then a full class next season.

Does this plan sound feasible at all?
10/25/2013 12:04 PM
I would cut anyone that you don't like now, except for Seniors, and try to get players that have great potential, so that by their Junior year you will be competitive. That's what I did at Penn State in Smith. Took over a terrible team, and made the NT by the 3rd year. It was nice not having a human coach at Villanova. You should be able to make the NT by your 3rd year, as long as you schedule a pretty easy non-conference and go 9-1 or 10-0 in non-conference. I tend to cut a bunch of players when I take over a program.

10/27/2013 12:19 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/27/2013 12:19:00 PM (view original):
I would cut anyone that you don't like now, except for Seniors, and try to get players that have great potential, so that by their Junior year you will be competitive. That's what I did at Penn State in Smith. Took over a terrible team, and made the NT by the 3rd year. It was nice not having a human coach at Villanova. You should be able to make the NT by your 3rd year, as long as you schedule a pretty easy non-conference and go 9-1 or 10-0 in non-conference. I tend to cut a bunch of players when I take over a program.

I have already cut 4 players. I have started cobbling together an okay recruiting class, but I'm targeting next season, with the TON of recruiting money I'll have, as THE season to land a great class.
10/27/2013 12:31 PM
Ain't too proud to beg-need HELP w/first BCS gig Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.