Which of these 3 SGs would you recruit? Topic

All ratings are projected per potentials:

Ath Spd Def Per BH P WE
SG-A 88 50 97 59 67 61 48
SG-B 81 52 67 100 53 60 64
SG-C 72 64 72 90 48 68 39

SG-A has 3 years of eligibility, while the other two have 4. Also, none of these recruits are considering me at Villanova at this point. They're just some fallback options I'm considering.
10/27/2013 2:45 PM (edited)
SG - A
10/27/2013 3:01 PM
A, Hands down.  The defense and ATH are what decide it for me.  He won't be a top scorer but will play good defense and could still score some depending on his LP and FT%.  

B has great perimeter but with a 52 speed and 53 ball handling he will never be open (can't create his own shot.).  Plus you lose a lot with his 67 D.  

C is average across the board, but doesn't do anything well.  Not a very good player.  

Go for the great defense and look for a scorer in another spot.   You are rebuilding, and I would build around a good defense and ATH.  Always need ATH.  It's vital at all levels but especially at high D1.  
10/27/2013 3:09 PM
Thanks, guys! It kind of confirmed what my gut was telling me to do.
10/27/2013 4:24 PM
All three were fallback options, but I can't even get a FOOT in the door, with only a fricking Sim AI school on the guy I really REALLY want, no matter how much I spend. And the Sim AI school is like 1000 miles away, while I'm within 200 miles of him. Something needs to be fixed so that Sim AI schools don't get such a huge advantage by not having to worry about distance at all. But that's a subject for a different post, I suppose.
10/27/2013 5:07 PM
simai needs that tiny advantage to at least field teams that are capable at all IMO. 

For the original question I would not take any of those 3 at least not to play guard. If A can rebound, maybe I'd take him for SF.
10/27/2013 10:29 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 10/27/2013 10:29:00 PM (view original):
simai needs that tiny advantage to at least field teams that are capable at all IMO. 

For the original question I would not take any of those 3 at least not to play guard. If A can rebound, maybe I'd take him for SF.
But is it a "tiny" advantage, when I pour money into a recruit and can't even get CONSIDERED? Especially when the Sim AI is like 1,000 miles away and I'm close?

As for those three, it's basically between signing one of them or leaving it open, taking a walkon, and having a class of six next season.

Oh, and SG-A projects to about 30 or a bit more in rebounding.

10/27/2013 10:57 PM
Its a tiny advantage when you look at how historically bad the sim teams are
10/27/2013 11:01 PM
Posted by deer454 on 10/27/2013 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, then. I've dumped a huge percentage of my recruiting budget into him, and he lets me visit his home, bring him to campus, etc., but I just can't even get on his radar, for some reason.
10/27/2013 11:09 PM
Would need to know LP to make an informed decision. Without knowing LP I'd go with B, great offense beats great defense every time. 
10/27/2013 11:16 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/27/2013 11:09:00 PM (view original):
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, then. I've dumped a huge percentage of my recruiting budget into him, and he lets me visit his home, bring him to campus, etc., but I just can't even get on his radar, for some reason.
Had the same issue with a recruit I tried to steal from a Sim, Wildcat.  But after spending a bunch of cash and seeing that the recruit was "still *very tight* with" (asterisks noted) the sim school, I cut my losses and went on.

Also, even with the small advantages of recruiting before Cycle 1 and the 200-mile distance rule, the Sim still plays dumb.  Otherwise, when I take over a sim team I wouldn't usually cut almost every player the sim recruited.  I'd love to know the recruiting logic because I've seen Sim go after players who had no business on a roster of that level, be it D1, D2 or D3.

I don't know what the answer is to the Sim stupidity.  But it's probably true that if the Sim was smarter, it would drive more new coaches away from HD because it would become even harder to get rolling than it already is.

10/27/2013 11:39 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 10/27/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Would need to know LP to make an informed decision. Without knowing LP I'd go with B, great offense beats great defense every time. 
SG-A projects to right about 40 LP. B projects to low teens in LP, and C to low-to-mid 20s.
10/27/2013 11:59 PM
Posted by ethan66 on 10/27/2013 11:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/27/2013 11:09:00 PM (view original):
Had the same issue with a recruit I tried to steal from a Sim, Wildcat.  But after spending a bunch of cash and seeing that the recruit was "still *very tight* with" (asterisks noted) the sim school, I cut my losses and went on.

Also, even with the small advantages of recruiting before Cycle 1 and the 200-mile distance rule, the Sim still plays dumb.  Otherwise, when I take over a sim team I wouldn't usually cut almost every player the sim recruited.  I'd love to know the recruiting logic because I've seen Sim go after players who had no business on a roster of that level, be it D1, D2 or D3.

I don't know what the answer is to the Sim stupidity.  But it's probably true that if the Sim was smarter, it would drive more new coaches away from HD because it would become even harder to get rolling than it already is.

I wonder how hard it would be to make them a tick smarter, but take away all the built-in advantages they have?
10/28/2013 12:01 AM
Depending on how many openings the sim has and how many guys they are being considered by, I have found there is a good chance the sim has a TON of money on a guy. I usually try to gauge that and once I see that it is taking more than I want, either go nuts or get out of dodge.
10/28/2013 12:02 AM
Posted by tacokisses on 10/28/2013 12:02:00 AM (view original):
Depending on how many openings the sim has and how many guys they are being considered by, I have found there is a good chance the sim has a TON of money on a guy. I usually try to gauge that and once I see that it is taking more than I want, either go nuts or get out of dodge.
Yeah, the cycle before this last one, I finally dug into his recruiting page, and realized he was ONLY being considered by this one guy. That's when I finally gave up on landing the kid, and moved on to plan D (plans B and C had already been locked up by other coaches at that point).
10/28/2013 12:04 AM
12 Next ▸
Which of these 3 SGs would you recruit? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.