Which of these 3 SGs would you recruit? Topic

the takeaway for coaches is not to go after simai primary targets unless you are prepared to pay the price. The nice thing about these players is that once you've paid the price you are done (unless some bigger fish swims along and takes the prize from you both...)
10/28/2013 2:48 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 10/28/2013 2:48:00 AM (view original):
the takeaway for coaches is not to go after simai primary targets unless you are prepared to pay the price. The nice thing about these players is that once you've paid the price you are done (unless some bigger fish swims along and takes the prize from you both...)
I picked a bad season to figure out just how high that price is--and to broadcast that I'd done so in these forums, which was also not a good idea. But what goes around tends to come around, and I'll remember what low-major coaches swooped in on a couple of my other recruits. I won't ALWAYS be in a cycle where I've had to make cuts... 
10/28/2013 12:49 PM
You're better off not taking any of those guys.   I know you are trying to rebuild but your guards needs to be something like  80-80-80 (ATH-SPD-DEF) or you will absolutely destroyed in a BCS conference.  Playing guys with 50's and 60's in "core" skills is a recipe for disaster. 

If I were you, I would literally target ONE local guy that was good and do your best to win him at all costs  before signings.  After signings scout the world and find some missed talent.  You can still sign guys in D1 for like 2-3k.   

10/28/2013 1:03 PM
Wish you'd have posted this earlier, Trentonjoe. That was something I'd actually considered doing, but it's too late now...
10/28/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 10/27/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Would need to know LP to make an informed decision. Without knowing LP I'd go with B, great offense beats great defense every time. 
+1
10/28/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by tkimble on 10/28/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Would need to know LP to make an informed decision. Without knowing LP I'd go with B, great offense beats great defense every time. 
+1
I answered this further up, but you must not have noticed it.

SG-A projects to right about 40 LP. B projects to low teens in LP, and C to low-to-mid 20s.

10/28/2013 2:12 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/28/2013 2:12:00 PM (view original):
+1
I answered this further up, but you must not have noticed it.

SG-A projects to right about 40 LP. B projects to low teens in LP, and C to low-to-mid 20s.

I think the +1 was about the offense over defense comment, but I could be mistaken
10/28/2013 2:24 PM
You're probably right, Dac. I took it as a "+1" that he wanted to know the "LP", but your interpretation probably makes more sense.
10/28/2013 2:29 PM
+1
I don't really agree with that.  At least not "every time" .
10/28/2013 2:37 PM
i have to strongly disagree with this. at the championship level, great defense trumps great offense, and its really not even close. when you talk about building a team, the first great offensive player is always the greatest contributor to the success of the team as a whole, well, at least 99% of the time. but the 5th great offensive player on a lineup is absolutely useless while the 5th great defensive player is very valuable. so there are times when offense in a player certainly trumps defense, but that is absolutely not the case "every time" and its absolutely not the case for teams in general. defense is by far the most important area to be exceptional for high end teams, by far. for crappy teams, there is certainly a case to be made for offense over defense, its probably true there. however, i feel the strong defense as priority #1 paradigm kicks in pretty far below the championship level, and therefore, see little point to pointing anyone to offense over defense.

its not clear what role on the team this player will play, which is what makes it a difficult question. wildcat, its like i was telling you last week, its all about getting guys who are good in the right things for the role they need to play. without knowing what this guy will do, there is no good answer. 
10/28/2013 3:21 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/28/2013 3:21:00 PM (view original):
i have to strongly disagree with this. at the championship level, great defense trumps great offense, and its really not even close. when you talk about building a team, the first great offensive player is always the greatest contributor to the success of the team as a whole, well, at least 99% of the time. but the 5th great offensive player on a lineup is absolutely useless while the 5th great defensive player is very valuable. so there are times when offense in a player certainly trumps defense, but that is absolutely not the case "every time" and its absolutely not the case for teams in general. defense is by far the most important area to be exceptional for high end teams, by far. for crappy teams, there is certainly a case to be made for offense over defense, its probably true there. however, i feel the strong defense as priority #1 paradigm kicks in pretty far below the championship level, and therefore, see little point to pointing anyone to offense over defense.

its not clear what role on the team this player will play, which is what makes it a difficult question. wildcat, its like i was telling you last week, its all about getting guys who are good in the right things for the role they need to play. without knowing what this guy will do, there is no good answer. 
His role next season will differ greatly from what I see him doing by his senior year. Next season, he might well start at either the SG or the SF position, just because the Villanova team I took over is so awful. I'm going to recruit a true scorer at the 2 next season, though, at which point SG-A will become a backup/defensive stopper-type of player.
10/28/2013 3:47 PM
◂ Prev 12
Which of these 3 SGs would you recruit? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.