"Very tight" = worth recruiting? Topic

Posted by bistiza on 11/26/2013 11:52:00 AM (view original):
jdno may be right. Perhaps it was ill-advised of me to try to beat a D-I school who is "tight" with a D-II budget (again, this is why I said I was will albback and think it's usually not worth going after "tight" players, but I was stubborn with this one).

Four openings means about $60K for the D-I school and I had about $25K to play with (postseason cash and leftover helped). If it's 30 percent for the sim's top target, that means it spent about $18K, and I should not be surprised at all to find that $11K wasn't enough to pry the kid away.

Good call, jdno. Unless there is something else, I think you solved that "mystery" for me and the 30 percent figure my in fact be correct.

Once battlefield madness takes grip, bad things happen.
11/26/2013 12:32 PM
Now that recruiting's over, here's a postscript on my original question-

The reason I was willing to go after a guy who was "very tight" with a Sim AI is that he had 9 high categories, including at least 6 high-high's. I just didn't see anyone else even close to his upside available to my B- prestige team, esp within 360 miles. I ended up winning the recruit, though it took over $16K of my $31K budget. (34 HV's, 4 scouting trips). By the way, trentonjoe, based on my experience here, your assumption that Sim spends 30% of his budget on his top recruit is probably in the right ballpark / maybe a little low, depending on exactly how much our prestige difference mattered.

The good news is I was still able to fill my other 5 slots with 4 freshman (3 of whom I like) and a soph. The better news is that my big-money recruit took a RS, so he should be really good for me for his last 3 years.

Bottom line: you can nab a "very tight" recruit, if you have a big recruiting advantage (money, slots, prestige), but I would only try it in the very rare case where the guy's just head-and-shoulders above my other options.
12/2/2013 1:04 PM
Thanks for the analysis!
12/2/2013 1:33 PM
Is this d2?  Was the SIM d2 as well?

Do you know:

what the SIMs prestige is?
If it had siginificant post season cash?

If it only had 15k, even at 40%, that's still less than 20 HV's.   Your 34 should have crushed him.
12/2/2013 1:34 PM
Yep, it's D2 vs D2. My prestige was B-, Sim''s was D+. Don't remember their postseason cash situation, but it wasn't very much (probably less than mine).

I got to "definitely leaning" after 25-28 HV's. I probably overdid it with 34, but I felt like I needed to make sure.
12/2/2013 2:14 PM
If the WOTS says the kid is "definitely leaning" toward you and you're up against a sim, then you've won and don't need to do anything else at that point, as a sim does not put in any additional effort.

In fact, you can know even sooner than that. As soon as you get a scholarship message indicating you've taken the lead from the sim, the kid will be yours (assuming no other humans jump in to battle for him).

12/2/2013 2:50 PM
Thanks bistiza - I'm so rarely in battles that I'd forgotten that.
12/2/2013 2:52 PM
I'm not usually in battles, either, but it can be critical to realize exactly when you've beaten a sim and save the rest of your money for other endeavors.
12/3/2013 11:40 AM
Okay here's the scenario... I found a guy that is significantly better than the others around him. He is 190 miles from me. When recruiting started it said this C- D2 school ($30,833) likes him, but may not be a priority for him. The day before signing at the 2am WOTS it then said.... He seems to be a very high priority for them... Upon hearing this I immediately sent 20 scouting trips and I am currently waiting on the 30th ST.... I had $9,200 when I started to pulldown. He is 1760 miles from my guy and has 2 additional players on his considering list, which are also both really far.... When I do the math its telling me he may have spent $10,000 on this guy. Did I just waste $9,200 or is it going to be close? I am an A- D3, and after 30 ST's ill only have enough for 10 HV's.
12/17/2013 7:05 AM
Posted by halfakracka on 12/17/2013 7:05:00 AM (view original):
Okay here's the scenario... I found a guy that is significantly better than the others around him. He is 190 miles from me. When recruiting started it said this C- D2 school ($30,833) likes him, but may not be a priority for him. The day before signing at the 2am WOTS it then said.... He seems to be a very high priority for them... Upon hearing this I immediately sent 20 scouting trips and I am currently waiting on the 30th ST.... I had $9,200 when I started to pulldown. He is 1760 miles from my guy and has 2 additional players on his considering list, which are also both really far.... When I do the math its telling me he may have spent $10,000 on this guy. Did I just waste $9,200 or is it going to be close? I am an A- D3, and after 30 ST's ill only have enough for 10 HV's.
If you still haven't pulled him down, I'd let him go. It takes a lot of money to win a battle against a Sim at a higher division who's very tight with the recruit. And the Sim doesn't have to worry about being far from the recruit - Sims get to recruit everybody as if there's close (I believe it's 190 miles away). I think your chances are really slim.
12/17/2013 2:38 PM
Yeah it was unsuccessful complete waste of 45 scouting trips.... I'll take that as a costly lesson. My big complaint is the sims WOTS started as they like him but he may not be a priority.... So I was like ok I'll pull him down before signing if he didn't drop by then.. Early this morning WOTS said he is a very high priority. So then I sent 20 ST followed by 25 more. The WOTS came out again and just said he is *very solid*. I wish he would have started out like that I've never battled a sim that powerful before. I got completely owned. Another wired thing is at 40 his uncle and coach said I had a shot at signing him so I sent 5 more and that's when the WOTS changed and I got no more feedback from uncle or coach.
12/17/2013 3:07 PM
The idea that sims don't recruit again after their initial cycle is wrong. Ive had a recruit who I took a lead on over a sim flip while I was asleep assuming I had won.
12/17/2013 3:17 PM
I'd send in a ticket.  That stuff doesn't usually happen.

In Taco's case, stuff like that happens at the very end sometimes due to considering credit but not often.  The less you spend, the later in recruiting and the lower your prestige the more likely it is to happen.

In your case half, I haven't ever seen that.  I would ask for an explanation.  In theory that could also be considering credit.   If he the player was there main recruit the SIM have have spend just not enough to go into *very solid* category and then after day 2/3 the considering credit kicked in and made the *tight*.
12/17/2013 3:25 PM
How do I send a ticket
12/17/2013 3:42 PM
Nvm just sent it.... I'll let you guys know what they say
12/17/2013 4:11 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
"Very tight" = worth recruiting? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.