Coaches who have won a championship at all levels Topic

I'm just curious how many coaches have won a championship at all 3 levels, with the SAME user name, and in the SAME world.

Have several coaches accomplished this?
12/11/2013 6:26 PM
So judging by the lack of response I'm starting to wonder if anyone has accomplished this....do any of the long-timers re-call anyone pulling this off?
12/12/2013 12:56 PM
its been done by a number of coaches but im not sure about the same username restriction. i was trying to win all 3 in the same world in the same season (using 3 accounts) for a while, got close but never pulled it off, and im pretty sure that has never been done. but people have come close, and winning all 3 in different seasons is way easier - so i would have to bet on there being someone who did it even with 3 different user names, even though i cant think of who it might be? 
12/12/2013 1:39 PM
With the same username it probably has not been done many times if at all. I think in general when people win a title at D3 and they move up it's usually with the intention of getting to D1 as quickly as possible and often times you can jump to a not too bad D1 program after a D3 title. If you do go the D2 route you're only staying a few seasons.
12/12/2013 4:22 PM
Interesting, I would have thought for sure someone would have done it in the same world with the same username. Maybe that can be a new goal for coaches that have been around forever.
12/12/2013 4:54 PM
Generally coaches who have been around forever have settled into one level in a program they enjoy.  Very few coaches spend long enough in each division in the same world on the same account to be likely to pick up titles at all 3 levels.  Some guys will play D2 or D3 for a while and then move up to D1, but D2 and D3 play so similarly it's not all that common to spend a long time in D3 and then make a move to advance to D2 and stay there for a long time.  If you like the D2/D3 game you usually just stay with your established D3 program, or move up to D2 in your second season and stay there.
12/12/2013 5:18 PM
I only have access to records for Naismith, Smith, and Phelan but here are the ids who have won a championship at all 3 levels across those worlds: 

porkpower: D1 Naismith, D2 Naismith, D3 Phelan
mullycj: D1 Smith, D2 Naismith and Smith, D3 Naismith

I don't know about other worlds, or across multiple IDs.  

12/13/2013 12:46 AM
I came very close in Wooden last season.  I lost the D1 championship, but I already have a D2 & D3 championship in that world.
12/13/2013 3:19 AM
Posted by rgerkin on 12/13/2013 12:46:00 AM (view original):
I only have access to records for Naismith, Smith, and Phelan but here are the ids who have won a championship at all 3 levels across those worlds: 

porkpower: D1 Naismith, D2 Naismith, D3 Phelan
mullycj: D1 Smith, D2 Naismith and Smith, D3 Naismith

I don't know about other worlds, or across multiple IDs.  

It will most likely stay that way for me as I have no intentions of either going back to D3 in Smith or D1 in Naismith.
12/13/2013 9:02 AM
Yeah, I think it is the same world that is making this rare. I'm sure that a lot of coaches who have played long periods at each level has done it, I know I have (1 @ D3 Smith, 1 @ D2 Crum, and 8 @ D1, between Allen, Crum, and Tark). I think that, as mentioned before, people have a general idea of where they want to end up, and get there as quickly as possible.
12/13/2013 11:15 AM
I doubt there are very many at all that have done it in the same world. I've won at all levels but no more than 2 in any single world. I've been in the championship game at all 3 levels in Crum but only won titles there at DI. 
12/13/2013 6:38 PM
I've got a D3 title at Brandeis in Rupp, and three titles at D2 Post but I've been at Post so long that when I actually finally leave that school, it'll be because I've quit playing.  I might, might make that my last item on my HD bucket list since it appears that no one has done it, it would be kind of cool to be the first.

By the way, with all the titles Oldresorter has, between that and his Ryan75 ID, that might be a real good place to start.  Lostmyth1 and Lostmyth2 have quite a few.  Rails also.  Daalter/Girt might also be close.

***Just checked Oldresorter's resume.  He's close in a couple of worlds, but never has pulled off the trifecta.  I think he could have/would have done it in Tark, but he went directly fron D3 to D1, skipping D2 entirely.  Had he went the D2 route, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have accomplished it.***
12/16/2013 4:52 PM (edited)
Posted by acn24 on 12/13/2013 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, I think it is the same world that is making this rare. I'm sure that a lot of coaches who have played long periods at each level has done it, I know I have (1 @ D3 Smith, 1 @ D2 Crum, and 8 @ D1, between Allen, Crum, and Tark). I think that, as mentioned before, people have a general idea of where they want to end up, and get there as quickly as possible.
I agree.  Winning one at all three levels with different ID's or in different worlds would be quite a long list.  Man, I hate D3 (I'm a D2 fan by far, then D1, and then a distant D3) but it would almost be worth going back to D3 or picking up a D3 team in another world just to see if I could do it.  I mean, I have enough confidence in myself that I'm sure I could eventually get it done, but do I really want to waste THAT much time going through the whole process again?

I would say that it would take probably a year, year and a half real time to get that done.  You might get lucky and take over a loaded D3 team and get that one out of the way quickly.  Hop up to a loaded D2 team and knock that one out.  Let's say four seasons total so far.  Now comes the tricky part, dethroning the BCS boys sitting in D1.  That's where you're gonna spend all your time and seasons, winning that D1 title.  Even in a two-a-day world, I still think you're looking at a year of real time minimum. 
12/14/2013 3:18 AM
hmmm, i guess i could buy its never been done. i still wonder if we are missing someone, there are so many coaches who COULD do it, its just (as people have said) not normal to slowly move up division by division taking the time to win at each. hell, i've never even *coached* at all divisions in a world, with the same id, except on my first ID, which was more or less a race to d1. seems like with all the guys with titles at every division, titles at every division in the same world on multiple IDs, multiple titles in all divisions, at least one title in all worlds (ok that just might be OR), there would be someone just by random chance who would have pulled it off?

in absence of an example for someone winning titles in the same world on the same id, ive won d3, d2, and d1 tark, between 3 IDs. so at least thats a start. i guess actually i just need 2 of them to get there, after winning in d3 tark with my 3rd id, gillispie1, i moved up to d1 and eventually won a couple titles at a couple different schools there. theres got to be a lot of guys with d1, d2, d3 titles in different worlds on the same ID, a couple were already listed here, but i haven't done that myself. so i suppose there is definitely someone who has titles in all divisions in the same world OR on the same id, but maybe not AND? im still not sold on nobody doing it, but im too lazy to check... although i concede most of the likely suspects have been ruled out :(
12/14/2013 3:18 PM
Tonight I'll scrape the team history (including coach and NT performance for each season) from every team in HD and run a script to see if anyone has pulled off the feat.  With that information in hand there should be some "Feats of HD Glory" analyses that might be worth running, so let me know if you have ideas.  
12/16/2013 3:55 PM
123 Next ▸
Coaches who have won a championship at all levels Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.