Has anyone tried to pull down? Topic

Has anyone tried pulling a player down from division I to division III? If so, did it work? I'm considering trying it just for giggles...but if there is something there, I might put more resources into it. Some of the best players in the recruiting class are within 50 miles of my school.
12/19/2013 1:42 PM
Apparently it used to work in the early days of HD, but that has since been closed. You'll never get a D1 player to consider you at a D3 school.
12/19/2013 2:09 PM
Call the coach first to see if it is even possible to pull down. If the coach says that you are a backup option then it would be possible to pull him down. If the coach says you have no chance then don't waste your money trying to pull him down. Good luck! If they are good players then you are probably going to have to battle a D1 or D2 school to get them, which is really hard if you are D3.
12/19/2013 2:11 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 12/19/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Apparently it used to work in the early days of HD, but that has since been closed. You'll never get a D1 player to consider you at a D3 school.
I did it within the last year at NYU.  You need an A+ prestige  and have the recruit be within 20 miles.Neither time did I sign the kid but he was considering me before I got poached by a higher division school.   I think  (it's been awhile) I did it with only 10 ST's as well.
12/19/2013 2:36 PM
It definitely can be done.  I normally send out calls to D1s within 70 miles and up to about 510 overall.  I've never noticed the 20-mile rule, but it's possible that's true.  I think most of mine have been 10 miles away.

Location is a big factor, though.  e.g. my Johnson & Wales team in RI always has D1 options because of the local D1 population..even signed two D1s in a 2-man class once.  If you're in a more remote location, D1 pulldowns will probably be extremely rare.

fwiw where the normal D2 takes about 10 SVs to pull down, my experience has been about 15-20 for D1s.
12/19/2013 2:59 PM
Count me among those who have successfully done it within the last few seasons.  I pulled this guy down with about 20-30 SVs, but I think that was because another D3 was trying the same thing.  He was 20 miles away from me.  

I also have been able to pull down two D1 JUCOs in the past few seasons.  A BCS school snagged one and I was able to get the second.

All that to say it definitely can be done in D3... 

12/19/2013 3:10 PM
Just a question.  How do you guys manage to do that on the limited DIII budgets?  It seems the risk of multiple walkons would be very high.
12/19/2013 3:13 PM
Pulling down a player who is only 10-70 miles away is pretty cheap.  It generally only costs around 2-3k.  Now if you have to battle a higher division school for the D1 recruit, you'll run into problems...unless you have a lot of open scholarships and/or 5k+  in postseason recruiting cash.  
12/19/2013 3:18 PM

Pulled down a D1 to D3 recruit in last recruiting period in Wooden. He was 50 miles away, took 10 SV's. Cost less than 2k.

12/19/2013 5:35 PM
Did any of you do it with a prestige worse than A+ or A?
12/19/2013 6:39 PM
Nope.  Every time was with an A+ for me...
12/19/2013 6:40 PM
There is no 20-mile rule, but I don't think it can be done outside 100 miles.
12/19/2013 11:02 PM
The closer you are, the easier it is to pull a guy down, or more specifically, the more likely a guy is receptive to be pulled down.   I've never found one farther than 20 miles nor have I been able to pull one down with a OVR over 495.
12/19/2013 11:13 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/19/2013 11:13:00 PM (view original):
The closer you are, the easier it is to pull a guy down, or more specifically, the more likely a guy is receptive to be pulled down.   I've never found one farther than 20 miles nor have I been able to pull one down with a OVR over 495.
I don't believe this to be true at all.  I pull international players down to my D2 teams all the time and based on your theory, that would be next to impossible since those guys are about as far away as you can get, thus making them, by far, the least receptive to any type of pulldown action.  Usually get them with between 8-10 evals (or scouting trips, whatever it's called nowadays). 

Maybe at D3 what you're saying is true, I haven't played at that level forever, but I totally disagree with that premise at the D2 level.  Plus, I'm talking about a normal D1 to D2 pulldown.  Maybe trying to go from D1 to D3 makes your statement accurate, like I said I haven't played D3 for a long time.
12/20/2013 12:35 AM
I believe that a recruit's more likely to be open to a pulldown if they're within 70 miles than if they're 80+ miles away. But beyond that, there's no difference - 120 mi vs 4,000 mi doesn't matter.
12/20/2013 1:24 AM
12 Next ▸
Has anyone tried to pull down? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.