Money for 6 'Ships? Topic

You get more $$ per incoming freshman than the normal person, why is that fair?
12/26/2013 1:41 AM
since no one here has the power to effect change on this issue, and since WiS doesn't effect change on any issue ever, how about you just keep ******** and belittling people that were just trying to be helpful until this escalates and you say something really stupid, then apologize 2 days later when you finally catch up and realize you are being a dick...just like most every other thread of yours from like 3 years ago. I thought you had moved past this kind of ****...

If you actually want advice on how to handle filling 11 spots with only cash for 6 a number of people probably have ideas for you (myself included) but I won't offer them now so I can't be accused of side-tracking this important discussion (I believe the relevant talking points are - colonels doesn't like something and everyone else can **** off - is that correct?)
12/26/2013 5:45 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/25/2013 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/25/2013 9:33:00 PM (view original):
people are just gonna stop answering you, colonels. without commenting on the actual point itself, why are you so combative with those trying to help you out? you were seeking information - metsmax was nice enough to provide that information. he didnt disagree with you or pass judgement on yuor point of view. merely, he offered the historical perspective you specifically requested. and then you go and belittle his post, and jump on him like he tore your point of view apart.

the sad reality is you use these "requests for information" as an excuse to get up on your soapbox. you didn't care what the answer was, you just want people to go along with your point of view. if you want to debate an issue, thats fine - but baiting people with a legitimate sounding question just so you can engage them in a one sided argument is totally retarded. and pretty childish, too. its no way to act towards someone who, in good faith, tries to help you out with an answer to your question.

on a related note, you really should consider trying to be more open minded. being closed minded just causes you to learn inefficiently, which causes you to fall further and further behind your peers, as you go through life. nobody even disagreed with you here, at least as of your replies to mets - so who are you arguing with!?!? for someone who always carries on about how others dont even consider your point of view, how people should give your thoughts the time of day instead of just disagreeing because its you... it sure is hypocritical to act this way! take a moment to consider how closed mined and immature one has to be to aggressively reject alternate viewpoints, when no alternate viewpoints have even been suggested... 
Mets went in with this "once upon a time" bullshit...gtfo

and hey, if you want to keep taking this off track and not discuss the issue at hand, fine...I'm game for whatever dice-thrower you're rolling out.  I take offense because people act like/think I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, when in fact, the opposite is true.

No, you know exactly what you're talking about...you post questions with the full intent of trolling.  You're no better or worse than any of the other people who post things looking for arguments.  Please note: I did not say debate.  Debates are useful.  OP's like this one are not.  

I must have been out of my mind.  Look at you.  Why don't you do something with your life?  You sit around here all day...you contribute nothing to society!  You're just taking up space.  I mean how can I be with someone like you?  I wouldn't respect myself.
12/26/2013 7:11 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/26/2013 12:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 12/26/2013 12:24:00 AM (view original):
It seems like the reason would be to limit carryover money. Say you're at d2. If you walked into a situation with 12 open ships you'd have 60k plus postseason money. Now let's say you are like me and are fairly conservative with funds. You use the postseason funds to scout and fill 12 spots for $24k. You also sign 2 1yr guys. So next season you have 9k in rollover + postseason funds + 10k from the 2 opening scholarships. Doesn't 20+k seem excessive for 2 d2 scholarships? You'll be ridiculously unlikely to lose a battle vs anyone on your level. As is, even the most conservative recruiters will have 4-5k less in rollover than a coach in this scenario. People here once made fun of me bc I started a thread about how the game determined who won the tip, but at least that was an instance that occurred every game. The issue you're describing can happen a maximum of one time during your stay at a school. It's just not worth getting worked up over.

So having 0 serviceable players on ur team and getting only the amount of money to recruit 6 guys, with 11 spots is fair right? Whether it happens one time or a million, its ridiculous and unfair...or are u willing to give up 40+% of ur bankroll to even the playing field
No it's not absolutely fair but it's more fair than allowing you to run over people in recruiting bc you have so many open ships. I find it easier to recruit 8 guys with the money for 6 than it is to fill 1 spot with the money for 1. You know when you have so many open spots you'll get several players on the cheap and scouting will be a smaller percentage of your budget than if you had fewer ships. I've always been on the side that money for open spots should decline after so many openings. I.e. At d2 you'd get 5k for your first 2 spots, 4k for your 3rd and.4th, 3k for your 5th and.6th, etc... What I'm saying is designing a system to fit the needs of your rare issue (that you prob didn't give a crap about a week ago) doesn't make sense when the bigger issue is on the other side of the coin (that players with fewer spots available are at a disadvantage. That is a much more common issue and has a greater impact on the game).
12/26/2013 7:28 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/25/2013 7:36:00 AM (view original):
Dude...the class limit takes care of that, you shouldn't be double whammied with/by a money hit too...it's unnecessary, and any time someone takes over a team/SIM? with more than 6 ships, they're at an inherent and unfair disadvantage.

A lot of people would rather zing colonels19 than address a simple issue of logic and fairness.
The effects of this have long ago been witnessed and noticed. It's not changing, and that's a damn good thing. It's just way too easy to manipulate in a variety of ways if you can get that much cash.
12/26/2013 7:41 AM
Any of you want to recruit 6 guys with the money doled out for 1?
12/26/2013 8:25 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 12/26/2013 5:45:00 AM (view original):
since no one here has the power to effect change on this issue, and since WiS doesn't effect change on any issue ever, how about you just keep ******** and belittling people that were just trying to be helpful until this escalates and you say something really stupid, then apologize 2 days later when you finally catch up and realize you are being a dick...just like most every other thread of yours from like 3 years ago. I thought you had moved past this kind of ****...

If you actually want advice on how to handle filling 11 spots with only cash for 6 a number of people probably have ideas for you (myself included) but I won't offer them now so I can't be accused of side-tracking this important discussion (I believe the relevant talking points are - colonels doesn't like something and everyone else can **** off - is that correct?)
I wont be apologizing for anything...the rule is dumb/illogical/unfair
12/26/2013 8:27 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/26/2013 8:25:00 AM (view original):
been there, done that. In fact, I just did this when I took over Charlotte and cut 4 guys. I may only have had 5 openings with the cash for 1, but its close enough. With 11 openings (like you have) its even easier. 5 guys have to start. SO that's 5 ships you can fill for a total of $550. Think you can find 6 other good guys on the money for 6 ships minus FSS minus $550?  Of course, I'd recommend signing a total of probably 9 or 10 guys and take a few walk-ons unless you find great jucos to balance your classes up front. Here I go, breaking my promise and offering the advice not asked anyway...
12/26/2013 10:09 AM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 12/26/2013 8:27:00 AM (view original):

Colonels - "I'm just curious why there's a limit on scholly scratch for only 6 players?"

Mets - Explanation

Colonels - "A lot of people would rather zing colonels19 than address a simple issue of logic and fairness."

Mets - More in depth explanation.

Colonels - Name calling of people who aren't even in the thread.

Noooooo...no need for you to apologize.  You've acted very mature and not at all insulting to people taking the time out of their day to answer your question (that you apparently didn't want answered).

12/26/2013 12:53 PM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 12/25/2013 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 12/25/2013 11:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 12/25/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):
Who were the town criers about this...trentonjoe, stinenavy, and who else?
this attack on these individuals made sense because?
Those guys troll me like oompa loompas, so I figured I'd give them what they wanted.
This would happen a lot less if you acted like an ******* a lot less.
12/26/2013 12:50 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/26/2013 8:27:00 AM (view original):

This just isn't true at all...  Particularly in D2/D3, but also in low D1, it's often possible to get better players out of JUCO than out of high school.  Higher potential, not just better starting ratings.  It's not like you can only sign 6 quality players with a ton of openings.  If there were not a restriction on the money, you can bet guys would come up with ways to open up huge numbers of scholarships.  Off the top of my head:

year 1: you have 3 GREAT seniors, 6 juniors, 3 freshmen - potential NT contender
year 2: you have 6 seniors and 3 sophs; don't recruit anyone - a good coach can make a 9-man roster into a serious contender with 6 seniors
year 3: money for 9 scholarships - recruit 6 freshmen and 3 exceptional 2-year JUCOs; crappy team with 6 juniors and 6 freshmen
year 4: you have 6 seniors again - right back in line for a deep tournament run
year 5: recruit 3 great 3-year JUCOs with your 6 scholly's worth of money - another poor team with 6 juniors and 3 sophs
year 6: 6 seniors, 3 juniors, and recruit one more junior out of JUCO if you need him; otherwise, year 7 comes right back to year 3.  And you're contending for a title again.

Already it's possible to have 6-man classes.  But if you can have money for 9 scholarships you can reasonably have 6 seniors and 3 juniors - with the juniors at least being exceptional players - every other year with a fairly quick setup.  And if you work it a little differently you can get yourself back to season 1 setup if you prefer.  I'd think 6 seniors and 3 great juniors is a better format to keep returning to than 3 great seniors and 6 juniors, but it depends on the level and system and how you like your team set up.  But don't try to pretend you couldn't easily abuse that system.  People did it before, and if you take the rule back away they'll do it again.

12/26/2013 1:03 PM
Posted by tkimble on 12/26/2013 1:41:00 AM (view original):
You get more $$ per incoming freshman than the normal person, why is that fair?
?
12/26/2013 1:40 PM
deja vu all over again.
12/26/2013 5:23 PM
You dudes are asking for it
12/26/2013 6:44 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 12/26/2013 10:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 12/26/2013 8:25:00 AM (view original):
been there, done that. In fact, I just did this when I took over Charlotte and cut 4 guys. I may only have had 5 openings with the cash for 1, but its close enough. With 11 openings (like you have) its even easier. 5 guys have to start. SO that's 5 ships you can fill for a total of $550. Think you can find 6 other good guys on the money for 6 ships minus FSS minus $550?  Of course, I'd recommend signing a total of probably 9 or 10 guys and take a few walk-ons unless you find great jucos to balance your classes up front. Here I go, breaking my promise and offering the advice not asked anyway...
You chose to put yourself in that situation by cutting those guys ON YOUR OWN.  I chose the school that I'm coaching, yes, but I was only given money for 6 with 11 open spots...so there's a bit of a difference there.  I didn't ask for help recruiting btw, I'm just suggesting that the current format is ridiculously unfair.  I recruit pretty well so I'll find a way, again that fact doesn't make starting one foot in the grave any more pleasurable to deal with.
12/26/2013 7:25 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
Money for 6 'Ships? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.