I'm down to clown...if you`re down??? Topic

Posted by arssanguinus on 1/4/2014 11:08:00 PM (view original):
The other thing, if I were dreaming big, would be twofold: Introduce a new offense and defense. Then remove fast break and press as a separate offense and defense and make them each a plus/minus setting akin to the plus minus on interior vs perimeter defense(ie: -5 to plus five as options, From almost no press, to heavy press. From slow and steady to fast break at every opportunity)

Also, in terms of stats ... track things like second chance points, fast break points and such on a player by player basis. I would be really sorta interested to see who gets them on the tea at the end of the season.
I'd rather the current offenses actually work better/worse depending on the make up of the roster.   We pretty much ignore the type of offense when recruiting players.    Lets actually add more disparity in performance for rosters depending on what type of offence is being run.
1/5/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by mullycj on 1/5/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by arssanguinus on 1/4/2014 11:08:00 PM (view original):
The other thing, if I were dreaming big, would be twofold: Introduce a new offense and defense. Then remove fast break and press as a separate offense and defense and make them each a plus/minus setting akin to the plus minus on interior vs perimeter defense(ie: -5 to plus five as options, From almost no press, to heavy press. From slow and steady to fast break at every opportunity)

Also, in terms of stats ... track things like second chance points, fast break points and such on a player by player basis. I would be really sorta interested to see who gets them on the tea at the end of the season.
I'd rather the current offenses actually work better/worse depending on the make up of the roster.   We pretty much ignore the type of offense when recruiting players.    Lets actually add more disparity in performance for rosters depending on what type of offence is being run.
That too.

Main reason I'd day to add one offense and defense is that by making the press and break be sliders within other offenses, you would be removing two. Differentiating the offenses a bit more would be a definite plus. I think the defenses already are somewhat different: There are some significant differences in how a man to man and a zone operate.

But say add the Pick and Roll or the Princeton. Just something so there would still be three offensive sets. Also make sure, naturally, that the difference is enhanced a bit.

1/5/2014 10:59 AM
Players attributes should fluctuate based on where you move them on your roster, similar to Gridiron Dynasty. This would change the way we recruit.

Example: a SF recruit that is 6'10" 230lbs. with all attributes similar to what we look for in a PF or C but is 500 overall as a SF, would be inserted as a PF or C on your depth chart after they are signed. Once moved you see their overall jump to 515. Once they are moved their ratings will change because they are more suited as a post player. We should be able to do this all throughout the year.

I feel this would add more strategy to recruiting as well as gameplanning before every game.
1/5/2014 12:34 PM
Advocating anything from GD is unfavorable as far as I'm concerned lol.  Had they patterned GD after HD, it wouldn't have been so terrible.
1/5/2014 12:36 PM
haha. Ok I definitely agree with that. This is one thing that I thought would translate well into HD.
1/5/2014 12:38 PM
As is, positions don't matter in HD anyhow, and I rather enjoy the "play without penalty" setup that's installed currently.  There's a bigger difference between TE and WR, than with PF and C.
1/5/2014 1:00 PM
1. Adding my voice to the call for specific match-ups in man-to-man defense. 

2. Future Star Scouting option to scout players within 'x' miles, in addition to the current scout-by-state option. 

3. Get rid of the ridiculously poor walk-on players. (I know the idea is to punish coaches for not filling rosters, but players in the 200s, even at D3, are just stupid imo)

4. Greater variance on freshmen entry IQs for Off/Def...having the rare freshman come in at an A or high B from time to time would make high school Off/Def more meaningful in recruiting. With players rarely starting better than a C IQ, there's really no penalty in completely ignoring Off/Def altogether in freshman recruiting because the progression from F to C takes place so quickly. 

Okay, these pretty much hit it head on (thanks rednu). #2 and #4 are by far the best ideas, IMO, that have been presented in this thread.

If I have a team in Oklahoma, for example, I may want to be able to recruit Dallas, but I am paying an exorbitant price to get that info, along with info for hundreds of players in Austin and San Antonio and Houston that I have absolutely no reason to pursue. I think that you can use the predetermined search parameters (100, 200, etc.) and then pull data for the number of recruits within that area, and then establish the price the same way states work. It's as if you are redrawing a state to suit your school's needs.

As for #4, perhaps IQs need to grow more quickly than they do at the moment. Freshman sensations, like we have in RL, don't exist, and while I don't think they should be completely dominant, they should be able to perform to an adequate level where you can put them in in game one and they aren't a total liability.

1/5/2014 1:22 PM
Just draw the Walkons randomly from the lowest rated players in the pool that received no recruiting effort ...
1/5/2014 2:02 PM
Posted by arssanguinus on 1/5/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Just draw the Walkons randomly from the lowest rated players in the pool that received no recruiting effort ...
+1
1/5/2014 4:22 PM
This kind of relates to some earlier ideas thrown out there, but another thing that I would love to see is the ability to actually select which position a player is listed as on the roster. If each coach actually had the option of choosing which position his players were listed as, then I think conference and national awards would be much more representative of what actually took place during the season. Of course there must be some deadline to when these declarations are made, so I would propose that the deadline for these adjustments should be before the start of conference play.
1/6/2014 7:24 AM
Posted by piman314 on 1/3/2014 4:24:00 PM (view original):
First 2 I've seen from a lot of people, 3rd one I'm just throwing out there.  

1.  Make the first recruiting window 24 hours (or 12 hours, or at least more than 2)
2.  Allow the coach to choose which attributes they want to see from the scouting report, even if it is just 1 per trip
3.  In the non-conference part of the schedule allow teams the option of playing home, away, or on a neutral court.  
very much like 1 and 2 - clear, needed steps that I bet would not be that hard

no objection to 3, but less important for the experience

general note - I urge folks to consider how much work is likely involved in suggestions.  Adding a video representation of the game would be cool, for example, would be great but would be a huge change in the product.  I think the best hope is to find several EASY improvements
1/6/2014 9:39 AM
and really like this

4. Greater variance on freshmen entry IQs for Off/Def...having the rare freshman come in at an A or high B from time to time would make high school Off/Def more meaningful in recruiting. With players rarely starting better than a C IQ, there's really no penalty in completely ignoring Off/Def altogether in freshman recruiting because the progression from F to C takes place so quickly.

1/6/2014 9:41 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 1/5/2014 2:02:00 PM (view original):
I could support something along these lines, but in doing so there would have to be some restrictions on potentials for these players (such as eliminating them completely, either good or bad) because it's not out of the question for complete gems to end up a random team. Also, and this is just a logistics thing, but would there be enough low-end recruits to fill out the rosters for a whole world at DIII & DII?
1/6/2014 10:11 AM

1.  I would like to see a +/- stat added so I can see the difference a given player is having when he is on the floor.

2.  When we are requesting a non-conference game, I would like there to be an option to leave the home/away component up to the other guy.  Sometimes I want to play a specific opponent and I don't care where the game is played.  But, maybe the other guy does care, and I lose out on the game because I chose the wrong venue.
1/6/2014 10:48 AM
Posted by crwkmw123 on 1/6/2014 10:48:00 AM (view original):

1.  I would like to see a +/- stat added so I can see the difference a given player is having when he is on the floor.

2.  When we are requesting a non-conference game, I would like there to be an option to leave the home/away component up to the other guy.  Sometimes I want to play a specific opponent and I don't care where the game is played.  But, maybe the other guy does care, and I lose out on the game because I chose the wrong venue.
You could send the request and site mail the coach.  That way he can counter if he'd rather change the venue.  Not as efficient as what you suggest, but it gets the job done.
1/6/2014 1:59 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
I'm down to clown...if you`re down??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.