Gut Check: Delaying Recruiting Until Signings Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This doesn't apply strictly to DI but, quite often I will save one or two spots for after signing recruiting. It is a good strategy to leave a spot or two open so you have extra cash to defend the recruits you did go after and then you can use that cash to fill those remaining spots. I have picked up some real gems that have been "held out of play" by higher prestige teams.

As far as waiting until after signing to begin recruiting for a single spot, I haven't had the willpower to do it. In that situation, I will always wait two or three cycles to start though. That increases the chances that someone still available is less likely to be grabbed because other teams have already had their chance at them. It doesn't guarantee success but it helps.
1/11/2014 10:56 PM
"The guys that have been held out of play," that's it, Weena. The "considering" designation keeps the mortals at bay. Waiting several cycles makes sense because if an elite wants a player enough to sign them, enough to avoid battles, they often get their players *tight* relatively early in recruiting. Plus, if you eliminate from consideration those recruits that have two elites on them, it helps you identify the ace recruits who will be freed up.

Chime in, stalwart players of HD. Granted, this thread does not bash on anyone or ask people to recount their championships, but the community could benefit from some selective sharing of trade secrets. :)
1/12/2014 10:55 AM
On a related matter - if you really want somone and a higher division or higher division one team jumps in, dont pull the scholly - if the layer was just a backup, when they no longer show interest he may fall right back into your lap because of previous effort
1/12/2014 12:44 PM
Honestly, I think that works better at d2 and d3. At the d1 level, there are 10 guys watching an waiting for exactly what you are talking about. And there are very few teams that "over recruit" after day 1.

Now if you are playing the game with the most money you'll have an advantage but the pool of players you'll be competing for is smaller and less skilled. I would be shocked to see a elite prospect slip through the cracks like that. Guys with maximized cores in the 80s yes, but 90s? I think that is unlikely.

I should add am not a good or real experienced d1 recruiter.
1/12/2014 1:19 PM
Oh, I didn't say it will always work, just that its worth not just pulling the scholarship, even if your name disappears from the list,
1/12/2014 9:18 PM
You're a C- school with cash for one schollie. If anyone truly worthwhile comes free after signings, it's hard for me to imagine that you'd be the one to land him.
1/12/2014 11:49 PM
Posted by girt25 on 1/12/2014 11:49:00 PM (view original):
You're a C- school with cash for one schollie. If anyone truly worthwhile comes free after signings, it's hard for me to imagine that you'd be the one to land him.
You are a d-bag with poor reading comprehension. I am done recruiting for this season and was talking about next season. But thanks for playing. You really added a lot of value.
1/13/2014 12:19 AM
Posted by MyGeneration on 1/13/2014 12:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by girt25 on 1/12/2014 11:49:00 PM (view original):
You are a d-bag with poor reading comprehension. I am done recruiting for this season and was talking about next season. But thanks for playing. You really added a lot of value.
You asked for the stalwarts to chime in , then insult the 3rd coach to respond????

girt's answer was appropriate , irregardless of which season you're talking about
1/13/2014 3:26 PM (edited)
Again, I am not an expert but this is how I "tier" D1 recruits:

1. Elite players from the get go....these are the guys with 80's and 90's in their cores from the start.   There are 15 or so of them each season....maybe less.   There are only a handful of teams that realistically have a shot to sign these guys.  These guys never slip through the cracks.  These are the 50-80k battles when teams grow a set and fight over them.   I don't know for sure but I suspect that some of these guys get signed on the cheap because so few teams are able to realistically win a battle for this type of guy.

2.  Players that grow into Elite players (90's in all or most cores).   There are more of these, maybe 30-50?, each season.   These usually go to B+ and better schools OR really savy coaches.   The super good coaches are the guys who recruit these guys at Buffalo St. or Brown.   These guys are usually battled for because many schools have a realistic chance of winning.  I don't think many of these guys slip through the cracks.

3. Near Elite players-  These guys have 90's in a few cores and 80's in the rest.  There are probably 30-50 of these guys as well.  These tend to also have serious battles.   I spent 62k on a dude like this last season and lost.  Oops.

These type of players tend to fill your B+/A- claliber teams.   A team full of these players can get the average coach to the 2nd round/ S16 level.   After that, you run into the buzzsaws of A+ and usually crap out.

These guys might, might, go unnoticed for awhile but there are so many competent coaches in D1 that they are usually identified.   Internationals sometimes don't get picked up....

4.  Role players/system players-   These guys make YOUR team good but might not fit the need for all other coaches.  I had a fastbreak/press team at Rutgers and Princeton that I would try to land all the 90/90/90 ATH/SPEED/DEF guys I could.   I would play 1 REB guys at SF or guys with 50's BH and PASS at guard.   They almost never had 80+ PER scores.   They worked for me but were unattractive to others.   Usually these guys would start with scores in the 50 or 60's as well so I could only get one or two "good" years from them.

5. Guys who aren't elite but better than what you have-  Basically, when you are  without elite level players, it's sometimes baby steps to make your team better.   If you only have guys with guys with cores in the 60's, sometimes you have to take guys with cores in the 70's.     These teams don't win in the NT.

6. Guys you shouldn't have-  bad players on bad teams.....coaches who aren't ready for d1 sign these guys

1/13/2014 10:43 AM
Signings just happened in Rupp. There are maybe two players in category #3 in the undecided category and another two that are considering a team and may not sign with them.
1/15/2014 8:31 PM
Great stuff, T.J. You mention role players. I usually have triangle teams, which means an athletic defender who cannot score might be fine for me, though passed on by an elite that can afford to hold out for guys who are skilled at everything. I always have a post as a member of my triangle. Let's say my starting C can score. Then the starting PF does not have to be a scorer, though it is nice. If you think ahead about what role you need filled a season or two away, you can seek and land an "imperfect" recruit who does all you need him to do. I just signed a PF who will be at 100 Reb and 95 LP (93 already) but only 60 def and ath. -- the realities of building a program.

You also note that internationals sometimes get overlooked. That helped me with my Charlotte team. I took over, cut most of the inherited players, and recruited the kids who are now my junior class. My PG is a category 2. My PF is a 3. I started recruiting these international kids after my first few choices were drawn to the siren call of a higher prestige program. I did not get enough scouting to know all their potentials, but fate was kind. This strategy does not always work. I took over another team that was almost all internationals with no potential. Save $ for scouting.

Prestige -- I think most know that prestige affects recruiting and having money to recruit is helpful. The trick it seems is to land some of TJ' s 2, 3, & 4's, and get your prestige up so you can feast on a steady diet of starred recruits. I expect my Charlotte club will, conservatively, go from C- to C+ this season and be at its baseline of B- after next season. I'm still getting a handle on how much recruiting powder to keep dry in battle, but will be mindful of the comments in this thread come next recruiting season. D1 recruiting is a whole different animal, that's for sure.

1/16/2014 11:47 AM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/15/2014 8:31:00 PM (view original):
Signings just happened in Rupp. There are maybe two players in category #3 in the undecided category and another two that are considering a team and may not sign with them.
There's a very concrete answer to the question posed. I'm not in Rupp. Thanks for dropping the knowledge.
1/15/2014 9:35 PM
Gut Check: Delaying Recruiting Until Signings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.