Support Tickets Topic

Okay - I'm starting this thread for levity's sake although I'm not sure if this is funny or pathetic or both.  This is not my first interaction with customer support and not the first time I have received a less than satisfactory response to a question. So I thought it might be nice to post this for the laugh that customer supports logic instills and in hopes that others might post some of their exchanges.

1/15/2014 9:13 AM          possumfiend

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/playbyplay.aspx?gid=10290288&half=2

Somewhat trivial, but why would Minnesota call a Full time out with 1 second left in overtime and a 9 point lead?

Do you think maybe they wanted to make sure they had the right personnel on the court to set up their inbound play and make sure Iowa didn't steal the ball and hit a game winning 10 point shot at buzzer?

Again, it's trivial but it doesn't make sense either.

1/15/2014 2:04 PM          Customer Support

Hello,

Even with a 9 point lead, the coach does not want to give up an easy basket, so a timeout was taken to get the right defensive group out on the court.

Thanks.

1/16/2014 9:28 AM          possumfiend

Did you miss the point? There was only 1 second left in the game, AND it was Minnesota's ball. There would be NO reason for Minnesota to set its DEFENSIVE lineup. This is just common sense. Seriously, have you ever watched a basketball game? And who are you to say what a "coach" would want? I WAS the "coach" here and I can say unequivocally, that in THIS situation - a lead of 5 or more points, possession of the ball, and 1 second left in the game - I would NOT care if the opponent somehow managed to score an "easy" basket.

I sent a ticket to point out something that was unrealistic given the circumstances of the game. Frankly, it won't change my life if you don't, or can't, make this purely cosmetic change. But I don't appreciate the canned response implying that this is a perfectly normal action that any real life coach would make in the same situation. Nor do I appreciate being told what I, as "coach", would want. I wouldn't have sent a ticket in the first place if that were true.

1/16/2014 8:00 PM          Customer Support

Timeouts are taken for two reasons: 1) You have multiple players on the court who are very fatigued or 2) You have one or more starters on the bench ready to come back into the game.

It looks like the timeout was taken to get get your starters back into the game.

1/16/2014 9:48 PM
Did you ever stand in front of a wall and ask it to change the color of its paint? Sometimes talking to CS seems like you are talking to a wall. At least they didn't feed you the old "Thanks, we will put it on our list." response (It would be #19,407). Here are a few other replies they could have given you:

A) Yes, you're right. What dum-dums we are to let that happen. I'll see that it is fixed in 24 hours. Oh wait, that's what I would say if I cared.

B) I can't be bothered right now, I'm right in the middle of a long distance Chinese Checkers match.

C) The last time I actually tried to help one of you guys I got yelled at and told if we fix one we'll have to fix them all.

D) You don't really think logic and basketball strategy makes any difference to us, do you? Now go away and buy a new team.

E) I look for certain keywords in the ticket, I press the appropriate canned response, I go back to my bowl of Skyline Chili. I don't get paid to think. 
1/17/2014 2:22 AM
LMAO at Skyline Chili
1/17/2014 11:14 AM
F) We're sorry, all our customer service personnel are currently engaged in search and rescue operations for the programming team of Gridiron Dynasty 3.0
1/17/2014 12:15 PM
Posted by Weena on 1/17/2014 2:22:00 AM (view original):
Did you ever stand in front of a wall and ask it to change the color of its paint? Sometimes talking to CS seems like you are talking to a wall. At least they didn't feed you the old "Thanks, we will put it on our list." response (It would be #19,407). Here are a few other replies they could have given you:

A) Yes, you're right. What dum-dums we are to let that happen. I'll see that it is fixed in 24 hours. Oh wait, that's what I would say if I cared.

B) I can't be bothered right now, I'm right in the middle of a long distance Chinese Checkers match.

C) The last time I actually tried to help one of you guys I got yelled at and told if we fix one we'll have to fix them all.

D) You don't really think logic and basketball strategy makes any difference to us, do you? Now go away and buy a new team.

E) I look for certain keywords in the ticket, I press the appropriate canned response, I go back to my bowl of Skyline Chili. I don't get paid to think. 
Yes, I asked myself after the fact, who is really the greater fool?  The CS people who reply? Or me for ever thinking anyone at WIS would care?  I guess I should just be thankful that one of my starters didn't suffer a season ending injury after they got substituted in for that last second of play.
1/17/2014 3:20 PM
Customer Service has long been what you would call "less than stellar".  In fact, in my opinion, CS is one of the very worst parts of this website/company. 
1/17/2014 3:51 PM
Far be it from me to defend WIS' CS, but you're taking the **** out of them here.  I've had legitimate gripes, and you come at them with some nonsense about an insignificant timeout call.  C'mon man.  It's dumbshirt like this that makes it worse for the restovis.
1/17/2014 8:45 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 1/17/2014 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Far be it from me to defend WIS' CS, but you're taking the **** out of them here.  I've had legitimate gripes, and you come at them with some nonsense about an insignificant timeout call.  C'mon man.  It's dumbshirt like this that makes it worse for the restovis.
It may be, as you say Colonels, an "insignificant timeout call", but the lack of understanding that CS has in this particular scenario is beyond appalling.  It's almost like the person answering wanted to see just how badly he could dick up the response.
1/18/2014 12:42 AM
I thought the second answer made sense in terms of explaining why the timeout was taken. Sure it doesn't make sense from a real life perspective but it explains what the engine is thinking.
1/18/2014 1:11 AM
If you tried to make things like that all make sense from a real life perspective, the number of little if then rules you would have to put in for the sim would be truly mind boggling.
1/18/2014 7:36 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/18/2014 12:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 1/17/2014 8:45:00 PM (view original):
It may be, as you say Colonels, an "insignificant timeout call", but the lack of understanding that CS has in this particular scenario is beyond appalling.  It's almost like the person answering wanted to see just how badly he could dick up the response.
He was just wasting WIS' time here, so even if WIS said, go **** yourself, that would have been an adequate response.  I've had WIS respond worse to "real"/legitimate situations.

Norbert and I had a bit of a beef at the time this was going on...6 years ago?...but in the NFL sim one season, I selected the best offensive line (with the best sack rating), I had a mobile QB (Daunte Culpepper, almost 500 yards rushing), and I ended up 7th in my league in pass attempts, but far and away got sacked the most in the league, thus I sent a ticket, basically in this tone, because I found it to be rather ridiculous.  Norbert responded with the following...

"You got sacked a bunch of times, the game is in shambles."

That's "real" bad WIS CS...there was follow up, but no real research or development because of the situation.  Shockingly enough, I haven't played the NFL sim since.

Possumfriend playing with people and their time, is juvenile and unamusing.  The guy is potentially making it worse for customers who have "real" problems/issues with their games, and that's wrong.

1/18/2014 11:45 AM
The ticket was not insignificant at all. It helps a seasoned coach understand little programming nuances that can affect the way you game plan.
1/18/2014 2:08 PM
I think the last CS response was adequate, but I feel like possum's response was a bit unnecessary. You can clarify what you're asking for without being a dick to them. I think sometimes people need to keep some things in mind, this is not real life, it is a program that cannot possibly capture what real life is. Add to that, you're asking about a cosmetic situation that is applied after the score is already decided (I believe this is the case, can someone confirm?). Like Possum said, the entire thing was trivial to begin with.
1/19/2014 3:03 PM
i think CS was pretty reasonable on this one. this is a frivolous complaint, which does not merit meaningful investigation. the first guy took a crack at it, swing and a miss. it happens. the second guy gave a quality answer. frankly, this is one of the more reasonable CS tickets i've seen. there was a thread a while back where seble argued with some veteran coach that you could double team in the press... despite the little warning right below double teams, which explained you could not. that kind of back and forth was a bit more in line with the level of discontent associated with this ticket... which, IMO, was not in line with the response. CS earns plenty of the flak they catch, but there is no reason to pile on over frivolous crap.
1/19/2014 5:58 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/18/2014 7:36:00 AM (view original):
If you tried to make things like that all make sense from a real life perspective, the number of little if then rules you would have to put in for the sim would be truly mind boggling.
exactly
1/19/2014 6:01 PM
12 Next ▸
Support Tickets Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.