Are D3 recruits' GPAs always so low? Topic

Posted by killbatman on 1/23/2014 4:59:00 PM (view original):
And yeah, the excellent message just says "he's an excellent student in the classroom and on the court."  As far as I know, that only impacts college GPA and IQ development.  I definitely consider HS GPA, on about the same level as peripherals like Passing in bigs.
Doesn't it also impact rate of gain in Work Ethic? Or have I been perceiving a correlation that doesn't really exist?
1/23/2014 5:16 PM
Posted by killbatman on 1/23/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/23/2014 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by guyo26 on 1/23/2014 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 1/23/2014 3:43:00 PM (view original):
I've had a 4.0 HS GPA recently .... have to see how he develops in IQ.
I almost had a 4.0 recently, but went with someone else.  GPA is almost like a tiebreaker to me, that and already knowing my sets.  Honestly I'm much more interested in finding the "above average in the classroom and on the court" message than caring if he's a 3.0 or whatever.  I can't think of a guy that hasn't reached at least all reds by the time he graduates that I've had, but when it comes to having guys play earlier things like that help.

I tweak too many things to have a good study on the affect of GPA vs classroom messages with WE thrown in.  I expect them to be an A in my sets by senior year, some as juniors.

I've never had a 100pt growth guy in a year either, many 70s and 80's, but never the super growth.  Even kids with 70+ WE and starting and playing from the beginning.
I didnt even realize he was a 4.0 until I was setting my practice grid. I chickened out on trying zero study hall on him tho.
You can absolutely get away with doing that.  I start most FR above 3.0 with 0 minutes of SH.  Usually the ones in the 3.0-3.5 range need some minutes at midterms (if you start with 0), but 3.5+ is almost always good to go with none, in my experience.  Very little downside to pushing the buck on the smart kids.  They won't come back with a 1.2 midterm if you leave 0 in SH.
Might have to try it.  Didn't pay attention and already have four games at eight minutes study hall each on the books.
1/23/2014 5:43 PM
Eight, wow.  I start a 2.0 guy around eight now.
1/23/2014 5:52 PM
Well, I thought I had put him at three or so. Oops ...
1/23/2014 6:00 PM

I just thought it would be an interesting experiment at one of the academically elite schools to try to stay withing the constraints of their real-life academic standards. Once I looked at the list by GPA, I quickly saw that would be absolutely impossible. 

So to me it's not the players that are flawed, but the player generation. There clearly should be more high-achieving students in D-III.

1/23/2014 9:47 PM
you could still do something like that by artificially holding your players to some set standard gpa once they are in.  for instance 4.6 or something.  or strive to have the highest gpa in d3.   but to do that, youd be at a serious competitive disadvantage.  but the same would be true of your original idea.

Im not sure why you see this as a flaw, etta
 even if there were more high gpa kids, they would either be weaker players
or else they would be in high demand and more difficult to get. and or become d2 recruits.

1/23/2014 10:21 PM
No they wouldn't. The players generated for D-3 are mostly a CLEAR step (or 2) down from the players generated for D-2, in terms of ratings. No self-respecting coach in D-2 is going to take a D-3 kid, just because he's got a 3.8 instead of a 2.4 GPA.
1/23/2014 11:34 PM
Well anyhoo, that's my two cents. It's just a realism gripe for me, having pretty much grown up in and around D-III I found it really strange. Academics are a lot of times the reason a talented kid decides to attend a D-III school. Not all D-IIIs are strong in academics, but many are.
1/24/2014 4:02 AM
Yeah, D-2 and D-3 aren't fallback options for bad students, at least in real life. That's the role that JUCO plays.
1/24/2014 10:33 AM
Posted by rednu on 1/23/2014 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 1/23/2014 4:59:00 PM (view original):
And yeah, the excellent message just says "he's an excellent student in the classroom and on the court."  As far as I know, that only impacts college GPA and IQ development.  I definitely consider HS GPA, on about the same level as peripherals like Passing in bigs.
Doesn't it also impact rate of gain in Work Ethic? Or have I been perceiving a correlation that doesn't really exist?
I haven't noticed that connection personally, but it's always possible. 
1/24/2014 2:05 PM
I've always thought of WE as being significantly more important than HS GPA in evaluating a recruit - like 3-4 times as important. Agree / disagree?
1/24/2014 5:53 PM
Well, yeah.

1/24/2014 9:07 PM
◂ Prev 12
Are D3 recruits' GPAs always so low? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.