Question, Theory, and Advice Thread Topic

So lately I've been looking through the forum board, trying to soak up as much information as possible. A lot of it I agreed with and adopted and some of it I hoped wasn't true so that my current team wouldn't be doomed. This is my fourth season and third with my current team, although I played 4 or 5 years ago but the game was much different then. 

My hope for this discussion is to be able to get some feedback on my team from you guys, as well as open up a thread for questions, specifically for new coaches like myself, but I personally enjoy reading peoples thoughts on the game and it can be a good way to pass time and become a better coach, so if you feel like you have a theory about how to construct a depth chart, or the best way to use practice minutes that you figured out, then by all means please post it.

Hopefully we do get some conversation here other than myself, but I'll open it up to some feedback on my current roster:

http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12190

Andrew Streeter is the last player recruited by the SIM but still a really good based on what I assume to be good in this game. Is he someone that I should try to model in the future?

My second question regards my freshman sg Robert Berger. He was redshirted last year and took it well, and has what I think are good core stats for the flex offense (per, sp, bh) however I know a lot of people wouldn't touch him due to his low work ethic, defense, and ath. Given that those three stats wont pass 35 however ball handling and perimeter could be in excess of 90, would anyone else have recruited him, or a similar player? Or have you had a similar player in the past and what was your experience?

Any and all feedback on the team would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

2/3/2014 12:15 AM
RE: Streeter Yes, he is a good example of someone to go after in recruiting. I set my recruiting filter to 40 for ATH (all pos) although I will go as low as 35 in a pinch. I set a minimum of 20 for DEF and will not go below that. Obviously, I would prefer much higher ratings but the key is to set a bottom baseline. The thing to remember about DIII and DII recruiting is that most players will be flawed somewhere. You just have to offset one players flaw with another players strength.

RE: Berger His WE is fine to me, however, other coaches may like to see it higher. I set my minimum at 25 and have never had a problem with players maxing out as long as they get sufficient playing time. His ATH and DEF are definitely low. You can get away with a low DEF player as long as the other players around him have decent ratings. I would try to make sure he and Hansen are not on the court together very often.
2/3/2014 1:59 AM
Guys like Berger are fine. If you use him right.

I would use him in a zone defense if the the other perimeter players had high ATH and DEF.

Or

Bringing him of the.bench for.some instant offense.

I would avoid start ing him because he will be a HUgE liability defensively.

EDIT: I just checked his speed. To be a good scorer against nt quality teams his speed really should be over 70. The high speed,high perimeter guys are hard to stop.

2/3/2014 7:45 AM (edited)
Streeter will be a good but not elite SF. His athleticism is very good for his position, but his defense is only good, not exceptional, and his speed is below average. But with that ATH/LP/BH/FT combination, he should be able to score effectively inside and get to the line. If you can find a guy just like him in the future, go for him, but I do like to see my SFs have speed at least over 50. Ideally, I'd like them nearer 70, but I'll go with a 50 SPD if he has 70+ ATH and other good ratings. 
2/3/2014 8:33 AM
I think you want to aim little higher than streeter. He's an ok player on an ok team.

If he had ten more.points in Ath, DEF, or lp an I think he is a good player. If he had a 70 in rebounding and. A few more point in shot block, I think he is a Good pf too!

He's close.
2/3/2014 9:21 AM
Do you guys think that a guards low post ability helps him become a better scorer? I think i remember reading in a developer chat that a players low post rating is basically irrelevant if he's playing the 1 or 2, maybe I read it wrong, but I was wondering what your experience with it is. I have a couple of guards with average or high low post potential but wasn't sure if I wanted to dedicate the minutes to it.
2/3/2014 1:25 PM
Low post in guards helps in scoring.
2/3/2014 1:29 PM
Posted by mikvitu on 2/3/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Do you guys think that a guards low post ability helps him become a better scorer? I think i remember reading in a developer chat that a players low post rating is basically irrelevant if he's playing the 1 or 2, maybe I read it wrong, but I was wondering what your experience with it is. I have a couple of guards with average or high low post potential but wasn't sure if I wanted to dedicate the minutes to it.
That's changed since the last time you were here.  Four or five yeards ago, LP for guards WAS basically irrelevant, but now it can be a huge boost to their scoring abilities.  Don't ignore it.
2/3/2014 4:55 PM
Berger can be a contributor, but he certainly wouldn't want a team full of him. He looks like that player that is a very good scorer on a mediocre SimAi team. This type of guy can be helpful since it can be difficult to find a guy with perimeter sometimes, but I would suggest to keep looking to find a guy with a little less starting perimeter and high high potential. A player with low 80 perimeter but better values in the other cores may be more useful.

Looks like a career back up to me. I've seen much worse with a d+ prestige though
2/3/2014 5:01 PM
If a player transfers do I get the $5,000 for his open scholarship or is it equivalent to cutting a player?
2/5/2014 2:45 AM
Pretty positive you get the 5,000.
2/5/2014 3:55 AM
Posted by mikvitu on 2/5/2014 2:45:00 AM (view original):
If a player transfers do I get the $5,000 for his open scholarship or is it equivalent to cutting a player?
if the player quits you get the $. Only time you don't get $ for an opening is if you cut the player. (or you have more than 6 openings)
2/5/2014 6:33 AM
Is there any rhyme or reason to double teams? Or is it just going to be whoever is closest to the guy on the floor at that time?
2/7/2014 12:45 PM
I think it's the position closest to the offensive player but I am not sure.
2/7/2014 12:59 PM

I've been wondering what to set for my Point Guard Distribution, If I am looking for a Point Guard to pass first not shoot, should I set a low play distribution for him? Or would this cause him to just not handle the ball?

Any thoughts?

2/8/2014 12:45 AM
123 Next ▸
Question, Theory, and Advice Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.