The most important attribute is... Topic

This is for D3 and maybe D2, as you guys have learned I am just getting started and trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible from you experienced coaches so I can actually try and be competitive.  Next thing on my agenda; attributes.  I think I have that athleticism and speed are the two that you want the most.  What after that?  What for:

PG:???
SG:???
SF:???
PF:???
C:???

And more so, what do you look for on offense and defense?  Again, I think I have gathered that ATH and SPD are the two most important for both ways.
2/18/2014 5:12 PM
Here's how I generally view things - listed in order from most important on down. 
Many people might believe this is wrong....and all of the different ways to build a team are what make the game interesting. 

PG   Spd/Pas/Def/Ath
SG   Ath/Def/Spd/Per
SF   Ath/Def/(some other core attributes....this really depends on your personal strategy)
PF   Ath//Def/LP/Reb
C     Ath/Reb/Def/LP 

2/18/2014 5:33 PM (edited)
Also - ignore the player's listed position. Look at the player's attributes, envision where the player would be in your starting lineup, and go from there. 

(For instance, a guy that is listed as SG but has low ATH and PER and high BH, PAS, and SPD would be a much better PG. Treat him as such. )
2/18/2014 5:32 PM
Dont just ignore the position - look affirmatively for guys who are at the "wrong" position.  They are likely to be underappreciated and can be bargains.  The SG who should be a SF but who would be really weak as a SG.  Even more extreme cases happen.  Those guys are worth hunting for.
2/18/2014 5:50 PM
What kind of Offense and Defense are you running?  The importance between Fastbreak Offense and Triangle are going to be different just like the importance between Zone vs. Press Defense.
2/18/2014 9:34 PM
I don't know.... I'm just trying to take it all in right now!  As I said, I want to play at the D3 level, at least until I become competitive (I was an easy win at D2 on my last name).  So I'm thinking Man to Man and Triangle, as I want 3 or 4 main scorers and I think that man to man wins you more ball games (the Syracuse's of the world are too few and far in-between).  Of course, that doesn't mean it transfers over to HD like that, that much I have definitely learned! 
2/19/2014 12:44 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Well I know that, but I'm building for the future.  By the way I played ball as a Pioneer in college!!
2/19/2014 1:32 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It very much depends on what OFF/DEF you are running.  I don't like Triangle/Man as a combo; but it's not "bad", just a preference for me.

If that's what you're running, outside of ATH:

PG: Passing
SG: BH
SF: LP/PER
PF: LP/DEF
C:  RBD/DEF
2/19/2014 2:14 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 2/18/2014 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Dont just ignore the position - look affirmatively for guys who are at the "wrong" position.  They are likely to be underappreciated and can be bargains.  The SG who should be a SF but who would be really weak as a SG.  Even more extreme cases happen.  Those guys are worth hunting for.
I 2nd this.  I fielded a team of  8 SF's before and it was one of my best teams.  Got serious bargains on the ones playing PG and C.
2/19/2014 2:16 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/19/2014 1:54:00 AM (view original):
No kidding? Wow. Crazy. I should just give you my team then.
That's not what I was saying at all?  I was just stating the fact that I played ball there... Didn't mean anything by it. lol
2/19/2014 2:36 AM
Posted by grantduck on 2/19/2014 2:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 2/18/2014 5:50:00 PM (view original):
I 2nd this.  I fielded a team of  8 SF's before and it was one of my best teams.  Got serious bargains on the ones playing PG and C.
So looking for that player with speed, ATH, and passing that I could turn from a SG to a PG and get a bargain on it... I like :)
2/19/2014 2:37 AM
If I had to pick one...

PG - BH
SG - PER
SF - ATH
PF - REB
C - LP
2/19/2014 7:21 AM
Posted by jaymc2007 on 2/19/2014 12:44:00 AM (view original):
I don't know.... I'm just trying to take it all in right now!  As I said, I want to play at the D3 level, at least until I become competitive (I was an easy win at D2 on my last name).  So I'm thinking Man to Man and Triangle, as I want 3 or 4 main scorers and I think that man to man wins you more ball games (the Syracuse's of the world are too few and far in-between).  Of course, that doesn't mean it transfers over to HD like that, that much I have definitely learned! 
if your goal is to move to the next level, the smart play is not to change offense and defense - that will let you become successful quickest

if your goal is to stay at that level, pick what you like, take your lumps for a season and coach em up

I'd avoid fastbreak offense - some run it, but hard.

read forums to learn about the different schemes

think also about where your team is located.  If you are in a remote location it can be tougher to get guys who have the DEF rating to play man.  Like say when I have coached in Hawaii or Puerto Rico, I have leaned toward zone so any good kid who is near me can play a useful role.

good luck!
2/19/2014 8:24 AM
12 Next ▸
The most important attribute is... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.