Where is the line? (thread locked, I believe) Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 2/23/2014 10:20:00 PM (view original):
etta, if you see colonels, he is accepted now. we went on with him for months until he got it into his head to drop his childish BS. we all are secretly hoping the same will happen with you. you see, at some point, even the most dense person recognizes that in a group with hundreds of people, if they all get along with each other, and so many don't get along with you... that its not every one else, its you. most people will eventually figure that out. you are generally more intelligent than the previous versions of yourself, so i have hopes you will figure it out sooner, than later. most of those who have had threads like yours, eventually became reasonably respected members of the community. or at least, tolerated, and treated civilly. 

just to be clear, when i say we all get along with each other... im not suggesting that in the absolute. as one of the most vocal members of the community, i am very personally aware its not absolutely true... but even in the role of one of the most polarizing figures in this community (few coaches are more widely appreciated but i also have ****** off quite a few, im probably easily top 10 in both the very well liked and very disliked categories), which gives me great experience to speak from in making this statement - its not all that hard to behave in a manner where you can get along with others here, and have civil discussions, even if you disagree.

frankly, you moderated quite a bit from your first thread to your second, if you take one more step that large, you will probably be fine. if you really want to participate in the community, lay low for a week or so, and then try again. its fine to disagree. you see difference of opinion in tons of threads around here, but they sure as hell don't look like the threads you started. everyone gets 2nd and 3rd and 4th chances here. you just have to show a little effort and things will turn around quite quickly for you.
SCREW YOU GILLISPIE!
But seriously, I missed the entire 70 page thread somehow (maybe the week I was on vacation), but etta still seems ridiculous otherwise.  He acts likes the smartest guy in the room when half of his arguments are not really based on much.  Also, he just takes things too seriously and it takes a lot of the fun out of the forums.  Anyways, I am blocking posts from etta now and you can too for only 99 cents a day...wait that's something else.

2/24/2014 1:01 AM
Posted by piratesfan23 on 2/23/2014 10:55:00 PM (view original):
I do like some of the class you brought in at marietta , etta. I would cut Larry Wilson he's not going to help you much. Continue to bring those high ath, speed, def, guys maybe look at one more guard with those high categories and good per , bh, pass.
Yep, concur with all. I'd really like to bring in 2 point guards like that, but just don't have the roster spots, and probably not great to have two in the same class at the same position anyway.

The irony is that Wilson is the best in BH and PS that we're gonna have, and yet I agree with you. 

Unfortunately Morris's potentials are rather crap and that's because I didn't have the money to scout him. So he's pretty much what he's going to be other than, fortunately, PS.

2/24/2014 1:10 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 2/23/2014 10:46:00 PM (view original):
So, Gillispie gives you GREAT advice, delivered in a kind way, and you compare it to the "kind of thinking [that] led to mass suicide, genocide, hazing rituals resulting in damage up to and including death, the widespread bullying problem in schools today, gang violence, and numerous other problems"?

That's amazing.
Oh crap, forgot...supposed to be silent and genuflect. 

Yes, m'lord. Thank you, m'lord.
2/24/2014 1:12 AM
Posted by headpirate on 2/23/2014 11:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/23/2014 9:20:00 PM (view original):
Is it when you get cursed at like crazy like nacho?
When you're accused of being handicapped like headpirate?
Or when you're just harassed at every turn, with every post, when your posts are being monitored for timing, when you're being accused of everything under the sun when you're actually being the calm one and keeping things together in the face of this constant harassment?

And when does someone say enough is enough? When do you veterans start regulating your own? 

I'm asking, because this has all gone ridiculously far beyond anywhere near appropriate.

Look, I served my ban, i did my time and whatever debt I owed to the community I paid. I do not deserve what has happened since then and none of you would ever deserve it either.

So I'm asking...where does it stop? When does it end? Do you all just gang up on people forever once you've decided you don't like them? This is quite possibly the most inhospitable message board environment I have ever seen for such a product. It's an embarrassment to the site and hopefully they see that.
I did not accuse you or anyone else of being handicapped. Furthermore, while I noted psychological conditions as part of broader point, I did not state those psychological conditions were in fact handicaps.
Correct enough. It's a disability, whether it's a handicap is up for debate. Given family background with physical disabilities, I should be more cautious in using such terms. 
2/24/2014 1:15 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/24/2014 1:12:00 AM (view original):
So, Gillispie gives you GREAT advice, delivered in a kind way, and you compare it to the "kind of thinking [that] led to mass suicide, genocide, hazing rituals resulting in damage up to and including death, the widespread bullying problem in schools today, gang violence, and numerous other problems"?

That's amazing.

It's not that you weren't silent and didn't genuflect. It's that you compared his calm post to the "kind of thinking [that] led to mass suicide, genocide, hazing rituals resulting in damage up to and including death, the widespread bullying problem in schools today, gang violence, and numerous other problems."

You really don't see the problem, do you?
2/24/2014 1:15 AM
Posted by piratesfan23 on 2/23/2014 11:44:00 PM (view original):
You got to expect a little hazing when you start HD. I got some in 2008 when i first started. The only way you get even is not to say anything and try to build your team to be as good as nachopuzzle squad in that conference. So beating him on the court gets you even. Falling into the hazing will get you fighting with everyone eventually to where no one will want to give you advice or some tips on how to build a winner. My advice on building that winner do the opposite of me and rack up the titles.
You talking about nachopuzzle's team in my conference?

It's pretty sad that the only thing to do is to let them have their way. Seems like there should be a little more self-regulation than that. But apparently there's not.

Thanks for the heads up.
2/24/2014 1:18 AM
Posted by ericksonp on 2/24/2014 12:08:00 AM (view original):
I find it amusing that someone who was challenging people to fights and who had the bitter d*** says he held his tongue and kept his cool. Moving on
That's been dealt with. It's over. Since I returned from my punishment, I have done just what I said.
2/24/2014 1:19 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 2/24/2014 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/24/2014 1:12:00 AM (view original):

That's amazing.

It's not that you weren't silent and didn't genuflect. It's that you compared his calm post to the "kind of thinking [that] led to mass suicide, genocide, hazing rituals resulting in damage up to and including death, the widespread bullying problem in schools today, gang violence, and numerous other problems."

You really don't see the problem, do you?
Nope. Because it's true. The "if everyone doesn't like you, you must be the problem" mentality is exactly what leads to those situations and the triumph of evil by way of good people doing nothing.

I didn't compare his entire post to that, and you'll notice he didn't include that part in his response, the spirit of which I generally agree with, even though I think it's a sad statement that the best course of action is to let people say whatever they want about you. Nevertheless, I don't disagree with him that eventually people would get bored of their own lack of wit...or maybe they would so lack of wit that they wouldn't. 

Either way, it would certainly be the best solution for me, excepting that it would give people here what they want.

2/24/2014 1:23 AM
There's an old saying in poker, that goes something like this:

When you get to the table and start playing, watch closely. If you can't find the "fish" within a few hands, then YOU'RE the "fish."
2/24/2014 1:25 AM
In other words, if you're part of a community in which everyone (even people who don't normally get along with each other) think you're behaving badly, and you think everyone ELSE is behaving badly, then... well, I'm sure you get the picture.
2/24/2014 1:26 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 2/24/2014 1:26:00 AM (view original):
In other words, if you're part of a community in which everyone (even people who don't normally get along with each other) think you're behaving badly, and you think everyone ELSE is behaving badly, then... well, I'm sure you get the picture.
And now we're back to the point I was making that you had a problem with my making.

And people complain about me not paying attention when people are trying to give me information and being dismissive...

If the majority is always right, we should just have direct democracy and everyone votes on every issue. The mob knows best!

2/24/2014 1:57 AM
It's not that "the majority is always right." It's just that when you're left with thinking that everyone else has a problem, it's usually YOU that has the problem.
2/24/2014 2:04 AM
Sigh...if you don't get it on the second pass, I doubt a third is going to help you. 
2/24/2014 2:09 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/24/2014 2:09:00 AM (view original):
Sigh...if you don't get it on the second pass, I doubt a third is going to help you. 
You're just utterly ridiculous in your unmerited arrogance. A living, breathing, walking, talking example of the DKE.
2/24/2014 2:27 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 2/23/2014 10:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 2/23/2014 10:02:00 PM (view original):
Also, if this is the most inhospitable message board environment you've ever seen, Etta, then you don't get around the interwebz much.
More baseless accusations with no factual mooring. I've been on the Internet for 20 years. I was around when the World Wide Web was a novelty but you didn't use it much because it was too slow. So yeah...you're...not quite right there.

The first basketball sim I ever played I found on usenet.

Etta,

This is the stuff that drives me nuts.  His comment is so innocuous.  And yet you play the "baseless accusations" card.  Seriously???  Surprised you didn't report him for it.  I can't imagine why the admins haven't made you stop reporting.  The report button is not there for what you are using it for.
2/24/2014 9:01 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Where is the line? (thread locked, I believe) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.