redshirt senior? Topic

We're going to suck this season anyway. Debating redshirting one of my seniors while the young guys develop. Anyone tried this? Will he stick around or get upset and leave after the season?
3/6/2014 11:24 PM
Posted by bigdiggins on 3/6/2014 11:24:00 PM (view original):
We're going to suck this season anyway. Debating redshirting one of my seniors while the young guys develop. Anyone tried this? Will he stick around or get upset and leave after the season?
His WE will definitely drop to almost nothing but unless he decides to EE at the end of the season, he won't leave due to just to getting the RS.
3/6/2014 11:42 PM
Good strategy when used properly. Just know that his WE will drop to 1, and he will get worse during the offseason because of that.
3/7/2014 7:42 AM
Would he not transfer after the season?
3/7/2014 12:17 PM
Posted by trail on 3/7/2014 12:17:00 PM (view original):
No risk of transfer
3/7/2014 12:50 PM
Thanks for the help. Both are maxed out anyway so the WE drop doesn't worry me too much. Will still be better than I could recruit next season and will help make the reload process quicker.
3/7/2014 10:07 PM
Posted by bro_lunardi on 3/7/2014 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trail on 3/7/2014 12:17:00 PM (view original):
No risk of transfer
I wish they'd change that. IRL if you were to rs a senior, he'd almost definitely be gone and wouldn't even have to sit out a year to transfer.
3/9/2014 12:04 PM
when folks redshirt a senior, have you just left him off the depth chart for awhile?

I figure this would get him some improvement over the season as he would start to complain about minutes, but still have some WE.  I realize when I don't respond to his complaints it will drop even further.  The guy I am thinking about is already in the 70s for WE and not maxed out.  

Then I figured I would redshirt him late in the year just before conference tourney…. or thereabouts.

Those that have tried this, do you remember how it worked.  I understand that he won't transfer according to the other posts.  Which is dumb, but oh well.
8/31/2014 1:19 PM
you can do this. he wont complain about minutes. very small chance he gets subbed into a game if everyone gets fouled out or hurt...
8/31/2014 3:25 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 8/31/2014 3:25:00 PM (view original):
you can do this. he wont complain about minutes. very small chance he gets subbed into a game if everyone gets fouled out or hurt...
How small are we talking?  The couple of times I've redshirted a SR I just did it at the beginning of the season, as I was too afraid that the player would get subbed into the game sometime later in the season.
8/31/2014 7:45 PM
That's helpful information.  I'll try to let folks know what happens.  I may get cold feet, but don't really see the point in not trying it out.  I have no other seniors, so even with a prestige bump, no big deal.  Already got killed last year on prestige with this team.
8/31/2014 8:40 PM
Posted by bro_lunardi on 8/31/2014 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 8/31/2014 3:25:00 PM (view original):
How small are we talking?  The couple of times I've redshirted a SR I just did it at the beginning of the season, as I was too afraid that the player would get subbed into the game sometime later in the season.
i have never been in a position where players not on depth chart had to play, so idk how small exactly
8/31/2014 10:43 PM
I've done this multiple times and it works every time (though it probably shouldn't .....I always feel like I'm exploiting a loophole in the system)
8/31/2014 11:49 PM
After 6 games my "redshirt" senior has lost 7 points on WE.  Still showing growth in other areas as expected.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2802229

(Keith Burbach on Limestone, if interested and can't see the link)
9/8/2014 3:20 PM
I've redshirted some seniors before and this can be very effective. If the person is maxed out (all red) then you have little to lose.

If they still have some improvement available, then wait until near the end of the season to redshirt, but if they are maxed out, it doesn't really matter. Even with a 1 WE, their cats wont drop if you put 10 minutest into each category, at least I haven't had that happen. It is the offseason you have to worry about.

During the off season, there is a decent chance that they will lose in several categories (and about -15 or more total) but most times, you will make up most of this loss during their playing senior season. One thing to do is to put more minutes into those cats that they need or are real important for their position (PE,LP, DEF, etc..)

My first NT championship came from redshirting a senior and he contributed greatly to that championship.
9/12/2014 12:11 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
redshirt senior? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.