OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Maryland-Eastern Shore has fired Frankie Allen

Loyola Marymount has hired Mike Dunlap. He was the head coach of the Charolotte Bobcats in 2012-13 and coached St. John's for one season during Steve Lavin's medical leave. 
3/13/2014 3:22 AM
Dunlap has been everywhere. Pretty sure he won at least one D-II championship at Metro State. This seems like a really good hire if he still has the fire and energy level to put into a rebuild. 
3/13/2014 4:08 AM
He was debacle at ST. John's. It was an awful situation but that team was horrible to watch. I had blacked that year out of my memory.
3/13/2014 6:06 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 4:08:00 AM (view original):
Dunlap has been everywhere. Pretty sure he won at least one D-II championship at Metro State. This seems like a really good hire if he still has the fire and energy level to put into a rebuild. 
good memory! He won DII titles in 2000 and 2002. 

There was controversy at Metro State a couple of years ago. They wanted to change their name to Denver State.  The U. of Denver made a fuss and the trustees backed down. Now it's Metropolitan State Univ. of Denver.  Citizens were upset that a private school (U. of Denver) had more influence than a public school.   U. of Denver felt the name similarities would be confusing.  
I doubt, however, than many people confuse Oklahoma and Oklahoma St......Kansas and Kansas St., etc.

3/13/2014 8:01 AM
Princeton sued Trenton State College a couple years back when TSC wanted to change their name to The College of NJ.  Apparently, that was Princeton's name like 300 years ago for an hour and a half.   Princeton lost, or settled or something....
3/13/2014 9:40 AM
In the 90's Ohio State and Ohio U. battled over the use of the word 'Ohio'.   Ohio U. had trademarked it but Ohio State challenged it.  I think the agreement is that Ohio U. holds the trademark but Ohio State can use it for 'Script Ohio' and other such traditions
3/13/2014 10:03 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 8:01:00 AM (view original):

There was controversy at Metro State a couple of years ago. They wanted to change their name to Denver State.  The U. of Denver made a fuss and the trustees backed down. Now it's Metropolitan State Univ. of Denver.  Citizens were upset that a private school (U. of Denver) had more influence than a public school.   U. of Denver felt the name similarities would be confusing.  
I doubt, however, than many people confuse Oklahoma and Oklahoma St......Kansas and Kansas St., etc.

Yeah, pretty  much all of the colorado small schools changed. The idea was that it would add more prestige, therefore attract more students. At least, that's the story I heard. I still refer to where I went by the old name. They changed the mascot and everything! Absurdity!
3/13/2014 10:27 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/12/2014 10:46:00 PM (view original):
That's the big question IMO. 

Bama under Wimp was a solid, not spectacular but solid program. Pretty good spot for a coach -- league isn't too tough, tops in the state by default, pretty good level of high school talent in state and nearby (the reason Gottfried didn't crash and burn despite being a rubbish coach). 
Agree about Gottfried.  Decent recruiter, not a good coach.  I was in favor of firing him long before his off the court stuff got him canned, and it's sad that he's doing way better at NCSU than his replacement is at Bama.  I'm sure they'll run him out of Raleigh eventually too.

If Bama's administration would make a commitment to being top notch at basketball, there is zero reason it couldn't happen.  My impression is too many of the people in control just don't really care, as long as the football team is winning.  I hear the "but Bama's a football school, they can never win at basketball" argument too much.  It's just a loser's mentality.

One of Grant's problems was the crackdown on hand checks.  His defenses have always been very "handsy" and the team did well when the officials allowed it..which was sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Now that it's a point of emphasis, Bama's defense is just plain mediocre and foul prone.  And the offense is terrible as it always has been.  He literally never has a full roster of players, despite supposedly wanting to run an "uptempo" style (note in reality Bama is always like 300th in the nation in "tempo").  

It's really a no-brainer for an athletic dept with the resources of Bama to fire this pair of clown shoes making top-25 money.
3/13/2014 12:11 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 8:01:00 AM (view original):

It can be an issue though. Seems to happen a lot with Arizona and Arizona State. 

It would be pretty dumb to have a U of Denver and Denver State...at least make it like John Denver State. :)
3/13/2014 12:20 PM
wow...loved the press conference when the A.D. introduced Gottfried to N.C. State.   She basicly said, "We couldn't get the coaches we want so here's Mark Gottfried."
3/13/2014 12:22 PM
Posted by scaturo on 3/13/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
Princeton sued Trenton State College a couple years back when TSC wanted to change their name to The College of NJ.  Apparently, that was Princeton's name like 300 years ago for an hour and a half.   Princeton lost, or settled or something....
That was a great branding move by TCNJ. Not only does it sound a helluva lot better than Trenton State, it kind of sounds like a private school. 

Plus their baseball uniforms look just like the Yankees, only with an NJ rather than NY.
3/13/2014 12:22 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 12:22:00 PM (view original):
wow...loved the press conference when the A.D. introduced Gottfried to N.C. State.   She basicly said, "We couldn't get the coaches we want so here's Mark Gottfried."
lol that's about right!  He'll get some talent on campus (he has a former 5* recruit sitting on the bench right now after transferring from Bama of all places) and consistently be a bubble team or better.  Maybe even catch lightning in a bottle and make a E8 type run, which he did once at Bama.  That's about his ceiling, though.
3/13/2014 12:26 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/13/2014 10:03:00 AM (view original):
In the 90's Ohio State and Ohio U. battled over the use of the word 'Ohio'.   Ohio U. had trademarked it but Ohio State challenged it.  I think the agreement is that Ohio U. holds the trademark but Ohio State can use it for 'Script Ohio' and other such traditions
I was near ground zero for that. Basically, Ohio was "taking it back". There was a big "write and say Ohio" campaign because they were always called OU. Locally, they still are, but it was still a good move.

Ohio State had been "Ohio" for decades on some uniforms (like track and field) and on a lot of team gear for sale. 

How Ohio State became the flagship school when Ohio came first (the "State" university in most states is secondary to the University of or _____ University) is another story...
3/13/2014 12:29 PM
Posted by killbatman on 3/13/2014 12:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/12/2014 10:46:00 PM (view original):
That's the big question IMO. 

Bama under Wimp was a solid, not spectacular but solid program. Pretty good spot for a coach -- league isn't too tough, tops in the state by default, pretty good level of high school talent in state and nearby (the reason Gottfried didn't crash and burn despite being a rubbish coach). 
Agree about Gottfried.  Decent recruiter, not a good coach.  I was in favor of firing him long before his off the court stuff got him canned, and it's sad that he's doing way better at NCSU than his replacement is at Bama.  I'm sure they'll run him out of Raleigh eventually too.

If Bama's administration would make a commitment to being top notch at basketball, there is zero reason it couldn't happen.  My impression is too many of the people in control just don't really care, as long as the football team is winning.  I hear the "but Bama's a football school, they can never win at basketball" argument too much.  It's just a loser's mentality.

One of Grant's problems was the crackdown on hand checks.  His defenses have always been very "handsy" and the team did well when the officials allowed it..which was sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Now that it's a point of emphasis, Bama's defense is just plain mediocre and foul prone.  And the offense is terrible as it always has been.  He literally never has a full roster of players, despite supposedly wanting to run an "uptempo" style (note in reality Bama is always like 300th in the nation in "tempo").  

It's really a no-brainer for an athletic dept with the resources of Bama to fire this pair of clown shoes making top-25 money.
I would think Bama would look at superdepartments like Florida, Ohio State, Texas, and think they could do that. They may not have as much money to work with but still should be plenty.

The off court stuff with Gottfried should have been enough to blackball him for life. Ronald Steele gave everything for him, more than he should have given for anyone. 

3/13/2014 12:34 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/13/2014 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scaturo on 3/13/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
That was a great branding move by TCNJ. Not only does it sound a helluva lot better than Trenton State, it kind of sounds like a private school. 

Plus their baseball uniforms look just like the Yankees, only with an NJ rather than NY.
I think they just wanted to ditch the Trenton aspect.  They have transitioned into the best small public school in NJ.  The running joke around here is TCNJ is the Princeton of Mercer County, if you don't count Princeton.

I don't know if wanting to sound like it's a private school was it's goal tough. There's no perceived advantage to that in NJ.  The pecking order of academic prestige around here is:

Princeton
Rutgers College
TCNJ
Seton Hall
Other Rutgers New Brunswick Colleges
Everyone else (and theres about 30)

Even out of state, other than the local Ivy's (and Johns Hopkins) there isn't a private college within 250 miles of NJ with a better academic rep than Rutgers or TCNJ.   

3/13/2014 12:54 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.