OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Posted by alblack56 on 3/22/2014 6:43:00 AM (view original):
Another issue for Williams is that he felt, with the loss of Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt, that the Big East would sink to mid-major status.  Hopefully, the Big East can expand and select St. Louis and Dayton, both of which expressed an interest last season.

That would allow the Big East to split into two divisions with a West group of St. Louis, Dayton, DePaul, Xavier and Creighton
Hopefully they add Dayton and St. Louis?  I sure hope they don't as a Xavier grad.  XU doesn't need another Big East team in their backyard.  I respect Dayton as a program, but from a selfish stand point they gain nothing from UD joining the Big East.  

I'll be the first to admit that the Big East isn't what it used to be… and is going to be a step below the big six schools.

3/22/2014 2:59 PM
Might not be if they made it a superconference of schools that care about basketball and don't have major football.
3/23/2014 2:09 AM
Potential Wake Forest Basketball Coach Candidates:  Gregg Marshall (Wichita State coach), Shaka Smart (VCU coach), Pat Kelsey (Winthrop coach), Kelvin Sampson (former Oklahoma coach)

Potential UNCW Basketball Coach Candidates: Eddie Biedenbach (UNCW assistant), Mike Winiecki (Clemson assistant), Dino Gaudio (former Wake Forest coach), Bobby Lutz (NC State assistant) 
3/23/2014 4:29 AM (edited)
According to ESPN, Marquette has contacted Ben Howland who is very interested in the job
3/23/2014 12:28 PM
I think Wake is pretty delusional if they're thinking that Marshall or Smart would want anything to do with job.
Also, on your first post you've got UNC, Wilmington listed twice, once as UNC and once as just NC.
3/23/2014 1:17 PM
Thanks, I changed it to NC for alphabetical reasons and forgot to delete the UNC, Wilmington
3/23/2014 1:28 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/23/2014 4:29:00 AM (view original):
Potential Wake Forest Basketball Coach Candidates:  Gregg Marshall (Wichita State coach), Shaka Smart (VCU coach), Pat Kelsey (Winthrop coach), Kelvin Sampson (former Oklahoma coach)

Potential UNCW Basketball Coach Candidates: Eddie Biedenbach (UNCW assistant), Mike Winiecki (Clemson assistant), Dino Gaudio (former Wake Forest coach), Bobby Lutz (NC State assistant) 
Are these actually being reported somewhere or just your assessments?

Marshall is not leaving Wichita for a middling program like Wake. Ditto for Smart, though VCU isn't as good a situation as Wichita. 

I wouldn't let Kelvin Sampson anywhere near a program if I could help it. He ruined Indiana. That's hard to do.

Tommy Amaker would be an interesting possibility for Wake. If I was him I wouldn't leave Harvard, but if he wants to be the Duke coach someday, he probably has to.
3/23/2014 2:16 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/23/2014 2:16:00 PM (view original):

Marshall is not leaving Wichita for a middling program like Wake. Ditto for Smart, though VCU isn't as good a situation as Wichita. 

I wouldn't let Kelvin Sampson anywhere near a program if I could help it. He ruined Indiana. That's hard to do.

Tommy Amaker would be an interesting possibility for Wake. If I was him I wouldn't leave Harvard, but if he wants to be the Duke coach someday, he probably has to.
Amaker does probably need to leave Harvard to be considered as Krzysewski's replacement, but I don't think he'd do it at Wake. That isn't a great situation now and I don't think it is likely that he wants to go to a school where there would be a rivalry if he's successful. More likely he'd wait for a non-ACC opening.
3/23/2014 2:42 PM
I agree with all of that. Just saying he seems to be on their list. Dunno if that means he actually has interest in Wake though. After VT hired Williams, the Wake fans are expecting something big now too, and I'm not sure they're going to get it.

I would think Amaker's behind Archie Miller on anyone's list now, though Archie doesn't really have to be in a hurry to leave UD. Johnny Dawkins just saved his job and is probably ahead of Amaker anyway.

Handpicking a successor is a tough job. Sometimes it goes really poorly (Manchester United), sometimes it goes really well (Marietta College baseball, where the successor has already won as many national titles as the Hall of Fame program architect).
3/23/2014 3:30 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/23/2014 2:16:00 PM (view original):

Collegesportsinfo.com has that list
3/23/2014 6:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by alblack56 on 3/23/2014 12:28:00 PM (view original):
According to ESPN, Marquette has contacted Ben Howland who is very interested in the job
The Marquette coaching search is moving rather quickly.

I'd think Howland is a top candidate but there may be another primary target.  Marquette Board of Trustee member Doc Rivers could also be involved in the decision making process.   Wonder if he'll help make a smart choice?      May come within 24-72 hours if a contract is agreed upon.

3/23/2014 7:18 PM
I see what you did there.
3/23/2014 8:03 PM
Brian Wardle is among the top choices at Marquette.  Most insiders think that Tony Bennet is the 'big' name that will be offered it, and when he turns it down it'll be between Howland, Wardle, and GB's / Wardle's ex head coach, Tod Kowalczyk (and maybe Dayton's coach??).  Kowalczyk is / was also on the BC list.

I look for Wardle to have the job by Friday.

3/24/2014 8:21 AM
Wardle over a guy that's been to the Final Four? Must be nice to be an alum.
3/24/2014 10:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.