OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

South Dakota is hiring Craig Smith, the assistant at Nebraska

Bowling Green has tapped Chris Jans, the assistant at Wichita St.
3/24/2014 12:14 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 3/23/2014 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/23/2014 12:28:00 PM (view original):
According to ESPN, Marquette has contacted Ben Howland who is very interested in the job
The Marquette coaching search is moving rather quickly.

I'd think Howland is a top candidate but there may be another primary target.  Marquette Board of Trustee member Doc Rivers could also be involved in the decision making process.   Wonder if he'll help make a smart choice?      May come within 24-72 hours if a contract is agreed upon.

Marquette could announce by end of the day.

It could shocka a few.

3/24/2014 4:35 PM (edited)
you guys have any idea how bad things really got over at UCLA under howland? i heard it was somewhat of a free for all, players got away with anything and everything you could imagine, with administrator assistance on grades and such. but its hard to put much stock in these things. i was wondering how soon howland would be able to be hired again afterwards, it sounded like it might have been pretty bad, but he certainly has the resume to prompt overlooking certain historical events. and i don't think he or any players got in any actual trouble, did they?
3/24/2014 2:28 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/24/2014 2:28:00 PM (view original):
you guys have any idea how bad things really got over at UCLA under howland? i heard it was somewhat of a free for all, players got away with anything and everything you could imagine, with administrator assistance on grades and such. but its hard to put much stock in these things. i was wondering how soon howland would be able to be hired again afterwards, it sounded like it might have been pretty bad, but he certainly has the resume to prompt overlooking certain historical events. and i don't think he or any players got in any actual trouble, did they?
SI did a story a couple of years ago:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html
3/24/2014 2:44 PM
Houston's James Dickey has resigned for 'family matters'
3/24/2014 7:05 PM
I'd guessed Marquette's first guy was Bennet, turns out it was Smart.  Heard Smart took offer, then it stalled.  But sounds like Smart to Marquette is a matter of time and might be done already.  so much for my darkhorse Wardle.
3/24/2014 8:43 PM
smart? interesting... i was thinking he was holding out for something bigger, with all the jobs he turned down. maybe they just weren't the right fit, and he was open to leaving the whole time? or maybe time convinced him it would be hard to get much better at VCU?
3/24/2014 10:34 PM
I wonder, in Howland's case, if maybe he convinced those deciding on the hiring that he learned from the past mistakes, and gave a detailed game plan on how to prevent similar issues (whether real or imagined). Some coaches do actually learn from their mistakes (although we will discover that Bruce Pearl has not).
3/25/2014 2:09 AM
Smart really wanted to take VCU to the Big East...perhaps he found another way to get into the conference.
3/25/2014 2:10 AM
Brian, adding Dayton to the Big East would really water down the conference. They are an average program at best, despite their lightning in a bottle weekend. The Big East, if they expand, needs consistent winners added, not the flavor of the month. With that said, if the Big East ever does decide to expand, I would bet that Dayton would get in...every league has a few bottom feeders.
I also fear St. Louis would not add much. They only became relevant under their late great coach, and this year's team is his talent.
Teams that would enhance the conference, yet stay true to their charter, are probably out of reach. Gonzaga geographically makes no sense. Notre Dame is spoken for. VCU is 'eh'. George Mason is 'eh'. Adding mid majors does not help.
Keep it add 10 teams and have even, balanced scheduling.
3/25/2014 2:18 AM
Baby brother Miller, if he has ambitions to coach for a contending D1 team, really should jump if he gets a great offer after this season. Dayton was 1 or 2 losses away from being an NIT team. If another program wants to overlook that and hire Miller, he would be a fool not to listen. In Dayton, they are recruiting in a local region against Ohio State, University of Cincinnati, Xavier, Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana. They will not win those battles.
3/25/2014 2:24 AM
The Cincinnati Enquirer today reported that Wake Forest may also be targeting Chris Mack of Xavier. That would be a bad move for Mack, as he has a top 10 class coming in. Also, does Mack really want to take a job in a conference where he will finish, in the very best of years, 6th or 7th in the conference? Also, it would be a bad move for Wake Forest, as Mack is not a very good game coach...or for that matter, his teams the past couple of years have not gotten better as the season progressed. This would be a 'lose lose' move.
3/25/2014 2:28 AM
Xavier has long been popular whenever a coaching vacancy occurs.  There are several head coaches who previously were the coach, or an assistant at Xavier.  Included are John Croce (Illinois); Pat Kelsey (Winthrop); Alan Majors (Charlotte); Thad Matta (Ohio State); Sean Miller (Arizona);  Kareem Richardson (Mo-Kansas City); Mark Schmidt (St. Bonaventure); and James Whitford (Ball St.)

Also, Pete Gillen (Virginia 1998-2005): Bobby Gonzales (Seton Hall 2006-10); Skip Prosser (Wake Forest 2001-07); Bob Staak (Wake Forest 1985-89), Louis Orr (Bowling Green 2007-14) and Ned Wulk (Arizona St. 1957-82).

Xavier and Wake Forest annually play in the Skip Prosser Classic, raising money for charity in honor of their fomer coach who died suddenly in 2007.
3/25/2014 5:28 AM (edited)

collegesportsinfo. com lists these possibilites for So. Florida

Steve Masiello (Manhattan coach), John Pelphrey (Florida assistant; former head coach at Arkansas)

3/25/2014 5:01 AM
Steve Masiello (Manhattan) is going to South Florida
3/25/2014 1:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.