OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

North Dakota St. has elevated assistant coach Dave Richman to the head coaching position
4/9/2014 10:25 AM
IPFW has promoted assistant Jon Coffman.

SE Louisiana has hired Jay Ladner, who coached Jones County C.C. to the national championship this year

Appalachian St. hired Davidson assistant Jim Fox

Cal-Riverside named Dennis Cutts as their new coach. He was their interim coach in 2013-14

4/10/2014 12:05 PM (edited)
Five openings remain:

California, , Coppin St., Marshall, Tennessee St., and Tulsa
4/10/2014 12:04 PM (edited)
Xavier coach Chris Mack has emerged as a top target in California's ongoing search to replace Mike Montgomery, multiple sources told CBSSports today. There is at least one report suggesting Mack has been offered the job. That's untrue, a source told CBSSports.com. But informal and third-party conversations have happened, multiple sources told CBSSports.com. And there appears to be serious interest on both sides. 
4/10/2014 4:57 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/10/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Xavier coach Chris Mack has emerged as a top target in California's ongoing search to replace Mike Montgomery, multiple sources told CBSSports today. There is at least one report suggesting Mack has been offered the job. That's untrue, a source told CBSSports.com. But informal and third-party conversations have happened, multiple sources told CBSSports.com. And there appears to be serious interest on both sides. 
interesting... seems like a step down to me. does mack have connections back in CA?
4/11/2014 2:43 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/11/2014 2:43:00 PM (view original):
interesting... seems like a step down to me. does mack have connections back in CA?
I don't think so. He went to high school in Cincinnati where he was the 'Cincinnati Player of the Year'.  He's also a  Xavier alum and played for them for 2 years after transferring from Evansville
4/11/2014 8:33 PM (edited)
Bryce Drew (Valparaiso) has emerged an a candidate at Tulsa. While it has been speculated that Eastern Michigan coach Rob Murphy, Kansas assistant Norm Roberts and Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley are on TU's radar, sources with knowledge of the process report there is a consistent list that includes Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman (age 56), Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall (43) and Stephen F. Austin head coach Brad Underwood (49).
4/12/2014 4:53 AM (edited)
Posted by alblack56 on 4/11/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't think so. He went to high school in Cincinnati where he was the 'Cincinnati Player of the Year'.  He's also a  Xavier alum and played for them for 2 years after transferring from Evansville
at least Cal is in a major conference...
4/12/2014 5:16 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/12/2014 5:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 4/11/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
at least Cal is in a major conference...
A California blogger referred to Mack as a 'successful coach at a mid-major school.'   Xavier doesn't consider themselves 'mid-major' and refuses to be listed in the weekly Mid-Major Poll.
4/12/2014 5:20 AM
they can consider themselves whatever they want, doesn't make it so. I like to consider myself King of England, but Elizabeth refuses to answer my calls...

losing an alum and former player and Ohio native to Cal I think sort of would back that up (if it happens of course - not that Xavier isn't a mid major either way, regardless IMO)
4/12/2014 5:24 AM (edited)
It's possible the Big East will regress to mid-major status. But, with only one season, it's too soon to determine.  Regardless, I feel Xavier is a major program.  In the last 10 years, they've had two Elite Eight finishes and twice more made the Sweet 16.
4/12/2014 5:42 AM
Sources have told ESPN that Chris Mack is staying at Xavier
4/12/2014 12:22 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/12/2014 5:42:00 AM (view original):
It's possible the Big East will regress to mid-major status. But, with only one season, it's too soon to determine.  Regardless, I feel Xavier is a major program.  In the last 10 years, they've had two Elite Eight finishes and twice more made the Sweet 16.
Xavier is still a better job than Cal, I agree with that. I hold a bit of a (anti)Big East bias and forget not everyone knows that...
4/12/2014 1:57 PM

Sources told CBSSports that former NBA coach Eric Musselman has interviewed twice for the California job

Musselman's candidacy makes sense for a variety of reasons.

The 49-year-old was once the head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings, point being that he's obviously familiar with the region. The 2012 NBDL Coach of the Year also has strong AAU ties throughout the state of California, and he's spent the past two years in the Pac-12 as the associate head coach at Arizona State, where the Sun Devils won 21 games both seasons before making the NCAA Tournament last month.

4/14/2014 3:04 PM

from SBNation:

It's been two weeks since Mike Montgomery has stepped down as Cal head coach, and it feels like we're not anywhere closer to having a name. There have been plenty of names that have been bandied about. Chris Mack has come and gone. Mike Brey was there for a little bit. So has Joe PasternackEric Musselman had his day in the sun beforegetting shut out.  Russell Turner was a candidate at some point, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Every 24 hours or so it seems like Cal gets a new candidate, and by the end of the cycle all such rumors have been refuted. Right now it's unclear if there's any sort of list of candidates outside of the original name, associate coach Travis DeCuire. You would think that if Travis DeCuire was Cal's number one choice, he would already have been installed awhile ago. But at the moment, DeCuire remains very much in limbo. 

4/15/2014 7:11 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.