OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to California.
4/15/2014 2:06 PM
surprising! He was off to a great start at Tennessee. 

Rumor is that Tennessee with go after Gregg Marshall of Wichita St.   He lost out on that job in 2001 when Tennessee hired Buzz Petersen
4/15/2014 5:15 PM (edited)
much of the Vols fanbase turned on Martin because he basically wasn't the showman that Bruce Pearl was.   Boosters even pulled the private planes used by the hoops staff which caused the coaches to fly commercial on recruiting trips.

I really don't see Gregg Marshall as being a media darling either.  But I guess if he can duplicate his oncourt success he had at Wichita State he'll be accepted.

Once Martin publicly pursued the Marquette job and was passed over, he pretty much had signed his ticket out of Knoxville.  In many ways it was similar to Buzz Williams at Marquette taking the first decent opening before he was shown the door.

4/15/2014 7:43 PM
Is Tennessee a forward step for Marshall? I'm sure they can drop crazy cash on him, but if he's looking to move isn't he better off waiting on a more elite job (with higher baseline prestige;)???
4/15/2014 8:33 PM
Hey dacj, why do you have a bias against the Big East. Just curious.
4/16/2014 1:15 AM
SBNation has an article on possible Tennessee coaches. Some are pipe dreams; others could be legitimate. They're listed by categories:

MAKE THEM SAY NO
  Gregg Marshall, Wichita
  Shaka Smart, VCU

CURRENTLY OUT OF COLLEGE BALL
 Lawrence Frank, formerly coach of the Nets and Pistons. An assistant at Brooklyn but hasn't been on the bench since December. Formerly an asst. at Tennessee
 Ben Howland, formerly at UCLA. (His name always comes up but, after that blistering SI article on him, I wouldn't touch him)

MAJOR CONFERENCE
  Tad Boyle, Colorado- was Dir. of Basketball Operations at Tennessee in 1997-98
   Chris Mack, Xavier
  Tim Miles, Nebraska

MID-MAJOR
   Archie Miller, Dayton
   Donnie Tyndell, So. Miss-  also had success at Morehead St, including an NCAA win over Louisville
   Michael White- La.Tech

CLOSE TO HOME
   Rick Byrd, Belmont- been there since 1986 but his age, 60, probably disqualifies him
   Will Wade, Chattanooga

4/16/2014 4:26 AM
Probably a little early for a Will Wade to land a job like that, but I bet he'll be a high major coach in about 5 yrs. He's special. My money is on Tyndell for Tennessee.
4/16/2014 7:09 AM
Posted by bobmeyer on 4/16/2014 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Hey dacj, why do you have a bias against the Big East. Just curious.
Big East powers that be ruined my conference by trying to be something they aren't. I am a Syracuse fan. I know the popular rhetoric that its our fault the Big East is dead. That's bullshit. We finally climbed off the sinking ship. Big East is a mid major now. I would have much rather the BE not had its head up its own *** the last decade or so, but que sera sera. 

The only consolation to Dave Gavitt's passing on 9/16/11 is that he had already gone home to God before having to see the press conference on 9/19 announcing Pitt and SU were leaving and with them any allusions to future Big East relevance. Eff the Big East.
4/16/2014 9:33 AM

There are six finalists for the job at Tennessee State:

Brian “Penny” Collins, coach at Columbia State J.C., 
 North Carolina State assistant Rob Moxley,
Illinois State associate head coach Dana Ford,
Georgia assistant Stacey Palmore,
West Virginia associate head coach Larry Harrison 
former District of Columbia coach Julius Smith.

4/16/2014 2:52 PM

From 'Tulsa World':

Tulsa put out a press release Tuesday night, saying its search for a new men's basketball coach was "progressing well."

The first signature search of athletic director Derrick Gragg's tenure at Tulsa is certainly moving slowly.

One coach -- Valpo's Bryce Drew -- who by some accounts had emerged as the favorite for the job, said he wasn't coming.

And another coach -- Mercer's Bob Hoffman -- who would have walked here for the job at the beginning of the search, said he wasn't coming either.

Tulsa is pretty far into the process to be starting back at square one -- or somewhere near there. And even if that's not the case, there is now the perception the process has bogged down -- a bad look for an AD making his first big hire.

Louisiana Tech's Michael White is the fan favorite.

And for the moment, neither of the three appear to be involved in the search -- nor is Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall, another early name mentioned in the process.

So who does that leave? Bill Haisten's story (you can read it here) points to New Mexico State coach Marvin Menzies as a new potential candidate.

.Another name to surface Tuesday was old favorite Tubby Smith. But the Hurricane would appear to be two years too late on Smith, who now has nearly two million reasons not to leave Texas Tech after just one season.

4/16/2014 2:56 PM
Posted by wronoj on 4/15/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Is Tennessee a forward step for Marshall? I'm sure they can drop crazy cash on him, but if he's looking to move isn't he better off waiting on a more elite job (with higher baseline prestige;)???
I don't get it. Didn't Martin take the Vols to the Sweet 16 and a #23 ranking in his third season after taking over a depleted team in 2011/2012? And they turned on him? Sounds like he was driven out as much as he drove himself out.
4/16/2014 4:13 PM
Posted by commish118 on 4/16/2014 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wronoj on 4/15/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't get it. Didn't Martin take the Vols to the Sweet 16 and a #23 ranking in his third season after taking over a depleted team in 2011/2012? And they turned on him? Sounds like he was driven out as much as he drove himself out.
According to Sports Illustrated, Martin's biggest problem was that he wasn't Bruce Pearl.  36,000 Vol fans signed a petition to fire Martin and 'Bring Back Pearl'

Tennessee did offer him a raise after this season. With the raise, he'd be the 9th highest paid coach in the SEC. Yet, his 3-year record trails only Kentucky and Florida
4/16/2014 4:23 PM
Frank Haith from Missouri to Tulsa

Seems like a strange move unless it's another case of getting out before the hammer stikes.

4/17/2014 6:03 PM (edited)
Tennessee State has hired Dana Ford (Illinois St. assistant). He was formerly an assistant at Tenn. State
4/19/2014 8:12 PM
The Tennessee newpaper polled UT fans about their next basketball coach

Gregg Marshall 35%
Shaka Smart   16%
Richard Pitino   9%
Donnie Tynsdall  9%

ESPN, however, reports that Michael White (La. Tech) is the favorite

4/21/2014 10:32 AM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.