How much does LP matter for a SG Topic

I know they made a change around the time I left WIS to make LP matter more for guards.

Will a 70 LP 95 PER SG be a dominating force in D2? Or will the 70 LP have little effect at all.
3/24/2014 11:22 AM
It most definitely has a pretty significant effect.
3/24/2014 11:57 AM
Oh yea definitely makes a difference. A guard can still be good without much LP but they will be limited to only being a shooter. I always think of LP as any type of shot that isn't a jumper. Layups, post moves, floaters, etc. So a guard with LP is going to be a much better finisher at the rim and a more efficient player overall. 

Best player I ever had at D2 was a 95 Spd, 85 Ath, 75LP, 28 per guard. www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Default.aspx His senior year he scored over 22 a game on close to 60% shooting.
3/24/2014 11:59 AM
http://whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Scouting.aspx?rid=2969184

Is the player, high high in rebounding, per, bh, p

Projects to 30 ATH 75 SPD 50 REB 20 DEF 20 SB 70 LP 95 PER 80 BH 80 PER

So I should be excited about him?

3/24/2014 12:03 PM
I would say as much as any other position, but maybe it is less important the farther you get away from the basket position wise, similar to passing (if that is still the case). So for instance my senior shooting guard this year had 61ath/55lp and 44sp/74per and 54bh. He shot 52% inside the arc and 37% from 3. So yes I think it has a big effect, but I don't even think a sg would need to push 70 to really be dominant. If he had more speed and athleticism than my guy which most good Sg's do, he'd shoot for a pretty high percentage. 
3/24/2014 12:08 PM
Posted by tannermcc on 3/24/2014 12:03:00 PM (view original):

What offense do you run, and if his ath was a little higher I really think he'd be a freak scorer but with with his lp and sp I still figure he'd drive to the basket and utilize it a ton. Any idea about his free throw grade?
3/24/2014 12:10 PM
Posted by mikvitu on 3/24/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tannermcc on 3/24/2014 12:03:00 PM (view original):

What offense do you run, and if his ath was a little higher I really think he'd be a freak scorer but with with his lp and sp I still figure he'd drive to the basket and utilize it a ton. Any idea about his free throw grade?
67%, average potential

Triangle
3/24/2014 12:17 PM
He's not a good player because of his ATH and DEF.  They aren't good enough for D3, much less D2.  I'd still take that guy on a D3 team in a heartbeat as a career bench player who can score a lot of points, particularly if I need a perimeter shooter to balance my offense.  But in D2, I'd have to be pretty desperate for PER scoring to take a guy with that kind of defensive ineptitude.  The ATH is probably also going to put enough of a damper on his 2-point scoring to make the LP a lot less valuable, but he'll still be a solid all-around scorer even at the D2 level.
3/24/2014 1:10 PM
I don't have to have lp in a sg, but I sure enjoy it when they have it. I've had a POY or 2 who could only score based on LP. Very handy attribute.
3/24/2014 1:38 PM
if its a stupid question please forgive me, but how did you figure the projected attributes?
3/24/2014 2:11 PM
Posted by matt58vt on 3/24/2014 2:11:00 PM (view original):
if its a stupid question please forgive me, but how did you figure the projected attributes?
Future Stars scouting plus scouting evalutions can give you minimums of what a player will reach (the lowest a high can improve is 20 points).
3/24/2014 2:25 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/24/2014 1:10:00 PM (view original):
He's not a good player because of his ATH and DEF.  They aren't good enough for D3, much less D2.  I'd still take that guy on a D3 team in a heartbeat as a career bench player who can score a lot of points, particularly if I need a perimeter shooter to balance my offense.  But in D2, I'd have to be pretty desperate for PER scoring to take a guy with that kind of defensive ineptitude.  The ATH is probably also going to put enough of a damper on his 2-point scoring to make the LP a lot less valuable, but he'll still be a solid all-around scorer even at the D2 level.
Well I think thats really a matter of perspective. If you're building a really solid defensive team especially in the zone you could certainly afford a player like this. I'd move him between sg and pg depending on who he's going to have to guard most of the time. Probably a 6th man rotational player because you don't want him to get exploited on defense I agree, but that doesn't mean he cant be a good player. I had an under athletic terrible defending power forward this year who could shoot the lights out and he made first team all conference, so there's still a chance this guy could surprise you.
3/24/2014 3:15 PM
Yea the ath/speed/defense combo is definitely going to hold him back. The low ath/speed will hurt him on offense as well against high quality starters. However a guy like that could be totally dominant coming off the bench at 3 positions.
3/24/2014 4:36 PM
Also If he does start I might consider putting him at SF. He is a good rebounder and his speed is good enough for a SF where the low ath wouldn't hurt as much.
3/24/2014 4:38 PM
How much does LP matter for a SG Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.