I know I know, tweaking something that doesn't really matter isn't really productive and this is probably a stupid idea.  With that preface, here's my idea:

When applying for jobs, a small, and i mean very small, portion of your resume is the average GPA of 4 year players who graduated after being recruited by you.  This gives a little more incentive to keep GPAs up other than keeping guys eligible.  It would influence you differently at different schools you applied to (like reputation), for example the Ivies would like coaches who had an average 3.5 compared to the exact same coach with a 2.5.  It's a very small tweak, just something I thought might add another (very small) level of complexity.  

What do people think of this idea?
4/5/2014 3:06 PM
Let's get rid of GPA's.
4/5/2014 3:59 PM
i think its a decent idea

and why would we want to get rid of GPA's? it adds strategy to recruiting and practice planing
4/5/2014 4:59 PM
I'm from the old school where I think GPA is important in real life. However, in high profile D1, it is never mentioned. Of course, if I could hoop it up, I'd probably not want GPA to average either.
4/5/2014 5:14 PM
Im in the camp of get rid of gpa
4/5/2014 5:36 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea, implemented subtly, with schools caring about it at differing levels like they do with other factors.

In general, I like that GPA is part of the game.  It adds texture and strategy, per oldave's comment.
4/5/2014 5:57 PM
I like GPA's and I like this idea. I would not be opposed if WIS even wanted to take it farther and make it an influence on recruiting. I think it would add to the challenge if it were harder for schools like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, the Ivies, and others to recruit low level GPAs. Likewise, it would be easier for them to get high GPA recruits. I don't want to go crazy with it but if WIS added a factor that made it similar to the effect of near/far or favorite school it would add another realistic challenge to the game.
4/5/2014 6:51 PM
GPA brings more depth to the game. Dumping it is a poor idea.

As for the OP suggestion, I'd say no. You'd have the GPA be artificially raised anyway by pumping 30+ minutes into study hall when the player's other stats are maxed out.
4/6/2014 12:21 AM
The impact of GPA is quite miniscule...set all of your guys to 5 mins of SH, and done...not hard, and not worthwhile...and now I await some diatribe about INELs...
4/6/2014 11:15 PM
why would you waste 5 minutes on all your players?
4/7/2014 5:17 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/6/2014 11:15:00 PM (view original):
The impact of GPA is quite miniscule...set all of your guys to 5 mins of SH, and done...not hard, and not worthwhile...and now I await some diatribe about INELs...
You're delaying a lot of development if you're doing that.
4/7/2014 11:14 AM
Posted by tkimble on 4/5/2014 3:06:00 PM (view original):
I know I know, tweaking something that doesn't really matter isn't really productive and this is probably a stupid idea.  With that preface, here's my idea:

When applying for jobs, a small, and i mean very small, portion of your resume is the average GPA of 4 year players who graduated after being recruited by you.  This gives a little more incentive to keep GPAs up other than keeping guys eligible.  It would influence you differently at different schools you applied to (like reputation), for example the Ivies would like coaches who had an average 3.5 compared to the exact same coach with a 2.5.  It's a very small tweak, just something I thought might add another (very small) level of complexity.  

What do people think of this idea?
I like it! A lot!
4/7/2014 3:00 PM
Another little wrinkle with GPA that could be interesting is letting players with a career GPA above 3.75 come back for a 5th year of eligibility, just like RL players that get another year of eligibility if they attend grad school. Of course, there might need to be an adjustment to GPA so that it is a bit harder to maintain high GPAs or whatever.
4/7/2014 10:20 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 4/7/2014 10:20:00 PM (view original):
Another little wrinkle with GPA that could be interesting is letting players with a career GPA above 3.75 come back for a 5th year of eligibility, just like RL players that get another year of eligibility if they attend grad school. Of course, there might need to be an adjustment to GPA so that it is a bit harder to maintain high GPAs or whatever.
Well, they don't get a 5th year of eligibility, you just have more time to complete your 4th year of eligibility if your Red-shirted earlier in your career, but you graduated in 4 years from whatever school you were already at.  
4/7/2014 11:41 PM
Posted by tkimble on 4/7/2014 11:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nachopuzzle on 4/7/2014 10:20:00 PM (view original):
Well, they don't get a 5th year of eligibility, you just have more time to complete your 4th year of eligibility if your Red-shirted earlier in your career, but you graduated in 4 years from whatever school you were already at.  
okay, my bad, good to know.
4/7/2014 11:57 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.