prestige drop, WTF?? Topic

I usually don't complain about minor changes in prestige.  Going from an A+ to an A doesn't really change recruiting all that much.

However, this is f'd up.  http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=2714

I won 2 straight nat'l titles before this season.   I had a team of almost all underclassmen, and my best player was hurt for a good part of the non-con schedule.  I was a little lucky to make the NT by winning the conference tourney, but I did get in.  Somehow, I dropped to an A.

Does this seem right? Shouldn't back to back titles give you as high an A+ as there is?  Do I have a complaint?  Should I send a ticket?
4/8/2014 3:33 PM
Legit complaint - WIS went over board in DII and DIII with too much emphasis on current season results.

Does that surprise you that WIS over corrected on something?
4/8/2014 3:40 PM

even with the current season counting for 50%, he made the tourney. back to back titles as the other 50%? this is definitely ticket worthy. 

4/8/2014 4:02 PM
my only thought is that your record was very meh, you definitly squeeked into the NT. I agree that the drop maybe is not worthy but lets look at real College hoops. When a team wins a national title then barely or even misses the NT the next season what is the outlook on that program? Very possible that the outlook is not nearly what is was when they were a national champion. I could see this drop justified in both ways as an A and A+
4/8/2014 4:10 PM
I have not looked, but what happened to the overall level of success/prestige of the conference ?
4/8/2014 4:27 PM
This probably going to sounds harsher than it means to but if you want to keep an A+ then don't have a season that isn't top notch. If you want to have back to back classes with 10 players in it you can't automatically have it both ways - reaping the advantages of playing with mostly upperclassmen certain seasons while feeling no ill effects from playing seasons with mostly underclassmen.

You want to stay at A+ on the lower levels? Win every season.
4/8/2014 4:34 PM
Ya I slightly agree with jsajsa, on a not so harsher note, it may suck losing your A+ status but regardless of your NT first round berth you went 17-12 in season. Thats very meh and to a back to back national championship program regardless of your class, in real life that would be a let down. Was your season worthy of A+? Definitly not, was your past 2 seasons? Yessir but overall looking at the big picture that season is a very big black eye to your program compared to the last few seasons.
4/8/2014 4:49 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 4/8/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
my only thought is that your record was very meh, you definitly squeeked into the NT. I agree that the drop maybe is not worthy but lets look at real College hoops. When a team wins a national title then barely or even misses the NT the next season what is the outlook on that program? Very possible that the outlook is not nearly what is was when they were a national champion. I could see this drop justified in both ways as an A and A+
Kentucky.
4/8/2014 4:54 PM
Posted by jsajsa on 4/8/2014 4:36:00 PM (view original):
This probably going to sounds harsher than it means to but if you want to keep an A+ then don't have a season that isn't top notch. If you want to have back to back classes with 10 players in it you can't automatically have it both ways - reaping the advantages of playing with mostly upperclassmen certain seasons while feeling no ill effects from playing seasons with mostly underclassmen.

You want to stay at A+ on the lower levels? Win every season.
Couldn't disagree more with this. You win back to national titles, you are allowed to have a down year. It makes no sense that you can win consecutive titles and 4 Final 4 appearances in 7 seasons and there are I would guess at least a dozen teams that are considered better programs. There's really no logical explanation for that.
4/8/2014 4:56 PM
Lets look at Michigan state talking about final fours, Tom izzo before this season every single player that has played 4 seasons under him has gone to a final four, he has won a national title and many people say that if he had won another this year he'd be into the great category of coaches and not just good, or maybe even legendary. Now since he lost people are asking for his head, saying he's the reason they havent been back and screaming at the college to go after someone like billy donovan at Florida. This guy has been coaching for almost 15 seasons, won a title brought a program into the top 10 category and has had an amazing run of final fours in some seasons they should have never been there. He doesn't make it this season on the cusp of becoming a legend and fans are asking for his job... Athletic Sports are unforgiving, there is a saying in pro football and that is "you get hired to get fired." 1 season can mean your job, your reputation, or even your credibility, regardless of your past.
4/8/2014 5:02 PM
Posted by bagger288 on 4/8/2014 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Lets look at Michigan state talking about final fours, Tom izzo before this season every single player that has played 4 seasons under him has gone to a final four, he has won a national title and many people say that if he had won another this year he'd be into the great category of coaches and not just good, or maybe even legendary. Now since he lost people are asking for his head, saying he's the reason they havent been back and screaming at the college to go after someone like billy donovan at Florida. This guy has been coaching for almost 15 seasons, won a title brought a program into the top 10 category and has had an amazing run of final fours in some seasons they should have never been there. He doesn't make it this season on the cusp of becoming a legend and fans are asking for his job... Athletic Sports are unforgiving, there is a saying in pro football and that is "you get hired to get fired." 1 season can mean your job, your reputation, or even your credibility, regardless of your past.
Even so, Michigan State would still be considered an A+ program.  By that logic, Duke shouldn't be an A+ in real life
4/8/2014 5:22 PM
But you need to look at this, Duke did not squeek into the NT tournament, your team did, If duke barely made the tournament at a sub seed of 10 or something with less than 20 wins I would say yes, they are not an A+ program right now. But they didn't, they were a 3 seed that got upset, you were a 17-12 team that squeaked in, and then got ousted.
4/8/2014 5:45 PM
I also want to clarify that I'm on both sides here, You could be an A+ and A it could go either way, more or less I'm playing devils advocate. I just am being honest that you are not clearly an A+, maybe not clearly an A either, the main issue at hand is the fact that there is a grey area.
4/8/2014 5:46 PM
Posted by jtt8355 on 4/8/2014 4:02:00 PM (view original):

even with the current season counting for 50%, he made the tourney. back to back titles as the other 50%? this is definitely ticket worthy. 

The other seasons really don't matter.    It's 50% current season, and 50% current prestige.  It doesn't matter HOW he got to A+; he's only slight better than the other A+ teams.   When you average the A+ with a 13-loss season, prestige will drop.

I don't agree with the system but that's the way it is.
4/8/2014 6:16 PM
123 Next ▸
prestige drop, WTF?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.