Does anybody know? Topic

What does the system look at when making halftime adjustments?  If I set my team to a -2 as my standard D, why would the system then go off the deep end and put me at a -4?

Would the -4 contribute to my guards all fouling out?
4/9/2014 5:23 AM
It looks at the number of three point shots attempted and the number of three point shots made by your opponent. I'm not sure exactly what the formula is, but I've seen it bump you to a higher + defense if the other team takes a ton (say, 12) threes, even if they're not making any, and a higher - defense if they take a reasonable amount of threes (say, seven), but only make one or two. It's some combination of these factors. 
4/9/2014 9:18 AM
Also, it'll never change more than 2 slots....i.e.   -2 to 0.
4/9/2014 10:23 AM
Does the -4 contribute to extra fouls by your guards?
4/9/2014 2:08 PM
yup
4/9/2014 2:31 PM
This is the primary reason why I rarely use a - setting other than once in awhile a "-1" if a team takes less than 10-15% of their shots from 3-pt range. I've had some bad experiences with foul-outs.
4/9/2014 3:17 PM
might be in your best interest to set the half adjustment to "never"
4/9/2014 3:43 PM
What would Bob Huggins do?
4/11/2014 2:10 AM
A -4 definitely contributed to the foul outs. I think, trying to think in RL terms, that packing the paint, as it is, leads to more drives into a bigger group of people and thus more fouls.
4/11/2014 8:37 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 4/9/2014 3:17:00 PM (view original):
This is the primary reason why I rarely use a - setting other than once in awhile a "-1" if a team takes less than 10-15% of their shots from 3-pt range. I've had some bad experiences with foul-outs.
I prefer to play in the negative if i can for rebounding, but i play d3 so perhaps fouls dont accumulate as much. When i first read your comment, i thought it was a pretty extreme reaction to fouls. Have you had a lot of success this way?
4/11/2014 8:40 AM
press teams are also further hurt by playing in the negative, since press is more intrinsically foul prone... so that's a consideration for some coaches.

what would bob huggins do?!??  <SMH>
4/11/2014 11:01 AM
Posted by artie40 on 4/11/2014 8:40:00 AM (view original):
I prefer to play in the negative if i can for rebounding, but i play d3 so perhaps fouls dont accumulate as much. When i first read your comment, i thought it was a pretty extreme reaction to fouls. Have you had a lot of success this way?
Teams that are built around offense and sacrifice defense tend to suffer in - defenses.   If you build your team around defense, the minus isn't a big deal.

If the team has superior ATH and SPD it will pose problems as well.
4/11/2014 12:56 PM
I've honestly found the halftime adjustments to be pretty accurate for what I would do.
4/11/2014 1:42 PM
Posted by artie40 on 4/11/2014 8:40:00 AM (view original):
I haven't won any NTs or anything, but I do alright. I recently decided to mainly become a "FB/FCP" coach, and that's when I began to almost never use more than a -1 defense, as when I did it was causing problems with foul trouble.
4/12/2014 11:55 AM
Does anybody know? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.