WIS championship power rankings Topic

im just curious what others think about the power rankings WIS puts out every year, seems like they are pretty far off to me, and that big men are not valuable enough. but im guessing others might be able to deduce more who watch more basketball than me - i think it might be interesting to see if the trends in what is under/over valued in the basketball sim (reflected by the ordering of these championship teams) line up with HD, or at least, older HD.
http://wisjournal.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2014CBK_NationalChampionshipPowerRankings

to me some of the things that standout for making the LEAST sense are the 1998 kentucky wildcats being so high, even kentucky fans were shocked by their victories, theres no way they should be ahead of most of the teams below them. florida titles and the 2012 kentucky titles are some easy examples, at least IMO. that 2012 team had great big men and great shot blocking, both of which were hugely undervalued in HD, so that is not that surprising from that standpoint. the 98 team had some strong, but not incredible, guards - which probably contributes to them showing higher in this list than i really perceive them to be?

also the duke 2001 team being #1 seems a little nuts to me. i am not a duke fan though, there are plenty of duke fans, do you guys consider 2001 duke above 1992 duke? i would have said definitely not and i think the guard/3pt bias of the WIS sim might be contributing there, but im curious what others think.

the 08 kansas seems way too high to me as well... 

are any of these teams decently high up really remembered for NOT being 3 point scoring championship teams? seems like 3 pt teams are consistently overvalued but i don't know all these teams well enough to spot counter examples.

i dont remember that arkansas team, was a little too young to pay much attention to the tournament when UK was not very good, but ive seen some clips and thought they looked pretty amazing - with the press being so strong in older HD, i would have guessed they would have been further up the list. maybe louisville from last year too, although i think they are relatively close to where they should be. 
4/9/2014 2:55 PM (edited)
Gill, I didn't watch a ton of the 92 Blue Devils, but I think they're relatively close with the 01 team (and as an aside, I think the 99 team that lost to UConn in the title game was probably better than either, they just didn't play well in the final). The 01 team may get a boost from the increase in 3 point shooting, but they were also a stronger defensive team, forcing more TOs per game, blocking more shots per game, and holding opponents to a much lower FG%. I wonder if tournament results play a part, the 92 team had 2 tight games in the tournament and the 01 team won all tournament games by 10+ points.

Each team had memorable moments, obviously the Kentucky game and Laettner shot for 92, and Jay Williams and his 8 points in 13 seconds at Maryland, when Duke came back from 10 down in the last 54 seconds and won in OT. I wonder if his motorcycle accident and lack of pro career make people forget how good Williams was in college. He is probably the best PG I've seen in college basketball over the last 20-25 years I've been watching.
4/10/2014 10:56 AM
Duke's best team was the 99 team that lost to UCONN. I remember going into that season telling everybody Duke would go undefeated, then the lost to Cincy happened a few games into the season, but then Duke dominated the rest of the season before dropping the title game. No chance UCONN was the better team, they were just better that day, and that UCONN team was damn good as well.
4/10/2014 11:50 AM
I see me an ACN are in agreement about the 99 team. I'd say that's the best college team I've ever seen.
4/10/2014 11:51 AM
WIS championship power rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.