Announcing the C-USA Rupp Scholarship Fund Topic

After a challenging and throroughly enjoyable 23-season run at Marshall in Rupp, I've decided to hang it up and retire from HD. I want to make clear that this isn't the result of any dissatisfaction with the game, but rather just a re-prioritization -- we have our second little girl coming shortly, and more responsibilities at work.

Building C-USA Rupp into a power was the most fun and challenging thing I've done in HD -- we had a phenomenal group of coaches that not only fulfilled but exceeded our original goal, turning C-USA from an also-ran into clearly the top conference in Rupp over the last 10 or so seasons. And I'm also proud of Marshall in particular -- I think we've had the best run of any C prestige team in the new engine, and possibly ever.

I really want to do what I can to make sure the conference continues its greatness ... and so I am unveiling the C-USA Rupp Scholarship fund. Here's the premise:

For every new coach that joins the conference from here on out, I will award a free season to them every time they lead the team to the NT. PIT or missing the postseason earns you nothing. This does not apply to coaches currently in the conference -- I want to use this purely as a means to attract high-level coaches when we have openings. I have ~ 50 free seasons racked up between this account and daalter, so I think this fund can definitely run for 2-3 years before the well runs dry.

Rupp sign-up starts tomorrow
... if you have questions, just post here and I will respond. (Or sitemail if for some reason they are private ... and no, kelby, I will not send you any pictures. Stop asking.)
4/18/2014 9:29 AM
Good luck with RL stuff girt.  You were the ring-leader of the revolution in D1 Rupp.  Congrats on all that success and in leading Marshall to the big-time.

One question, when you have free seasons like that, how do you pass them on to another coach?  I didn't know this was even possible.

Edit:  OK, I guess you have the 50 seasons in the form of reward points or credits that you will give as GC.  I thought you actually had them as actual seasons tied to your account, which would make it impossible to transfer to another coach. 

4/18/2014 12:39 PM (edited)
He took over Marshall when they were a D+. Here are the Thundering Herd's RPIs over the last nine seasons:

4, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 6, 1.
8 out of 9 were Sweet 16 or better, and five of those were the Final Four or better.
If that were at his old UNC job (RIP ACC Allen), it would still be pretty amazing. At Marshall, that is just insane.

EDIT: And I just noticed they lost a total of one home game in the last nine seasons. And that was the year they won the national title.
4/18/2014 2:49 PM
OK, Rupp sign up has begun … looks like Marshall, UAB and ECU are available. 

As usual, C-USA has the most postseason cash. And all three of those teams return strong, human-recruited rosters. (UAB in particular had a great class last season, signing several guys who were top 5-10 at their position.) 

Game on … 
4/19/2014 8:40 AM
I'm considering jumping over, but my main concern is how motivated are the remaining coaches in staying there? Girt/Daalter is clearly the straw that stirred the drink and recruited people to go to CUSA. With him gone I wonder how many people get out over the next season or two. There were 2 other people that dropped the world, and 2 more didn't renew until after the deadline.

If the goal was to see if you could make a mid-major into an elite conference, that goal has been met. I'm just wondering what the new challenge is for the remaining folks, especially when the incentive isn't given to them. I could see this going from 10 coaches this season, to 8, to the whole thing blowing up and anyone leaving their current job to the CUSA feeling like an idiot for leaving their old conference.
4/19/2014 11:56 AM
I will be at smu for a few more seasons. I don't plan on staying for ever but at least until the end of summer.

I also a m one of those guys who didn't renew on time. It had to do more with me being an idiot than girts decision.
4/19/2014 1:53 PM
Girt- good luck with everything. Your presence in not only Rupp but also HD as a whole will be greatly missed.
4/19/2014 2:31 PM
I can't believe people are basically passing up the opportunity to play for free. 
4/21/2014 7:14 AM
Posted by girt25 on 4/21/2014 7:14:00 AM (view original):
I can't believe people are basically passing up the opportunity to play for free. 
I'm a marshall alum and would jump at the chance to coach them regardless of the success.  i can't land the job unfortunately (only eligible for C jobs or worse right now).   good luck with the new addition girt.  I have a 2nd baby boy due may the 4th myself
4/21/2014 7:18 AM
I think what you are running into is the same problem the big 6 programs run into. There is simply not a big enough pool of qualified applicants to fill those spots, especially Marshall, where probably only 10-15 people in the world could legitimately apply to begin with. Those other a+/a programs are probably relatively well settled and maybe Marshall isn't a sexy enough name (like duke or unc) to leave their current program for.

But you are right. Free seasons just for making the NT, which should be easy with that prestige and 6 players coming back, is definitely a little bit of a headscratcher.
4/21/2014 7:44 AM
I think it shows the issue with the hiring process.  I bet less than 10 people are qualified for Marshall, and are in positions where they can keep their A+ prestige with far less work than at Marshall.

The other two, well, I was considering a move but I think like stine said, is this really sustainable that much longer?

4/21/2014 10:06 AM
A bunch of people qualified for Marshall, including all of the A- programs in CUSA. Most teams don't want to leave their conf because we currently have 3 openings, as opposed to 1. Should anyone claim East Carolina, I believe other coaches will take Marshall. 
4/21/2014 10:37 AM
I'll still be at Rice (whether that's a good thing or not is something I'll let you decide).
4/21/2014 12:16 PM
I'll be at Tulane as well. Again, I'm no girt, but our program is on an upswing.
4/21/2014 5:14 PM
Options is back and took over Marshall. We are now looking for 2 coaches previously with D1 accounts to take over UAB and East Carolina. UAB has a stacked returning roster that looks prime for at least a S16 run. 
4/22/2014 2:57 AM
123 Next ▸
Announcing the C-USA Rupp Scholarship Fund Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.