User Interview - tianyi7886 Topic

13-time HD champion tianyi7886 recently participated in a User Interview: http://whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=interview_20140421

We thank tianyi7886 for sharing his insights with the community.
4/22/2014 6:31 PM
cool, we got a pretty eclectic group of people here on this site.
4/22/2014 8:21 PM
That was a great interview. Tianyi sounds like a really interesting guy personally, and in WIS, he's put together specific strategies at each level that (obviously) work insanely well.
4/23/2014 1:36 AM

WIS: What is your strategy for recruiting? Do you utilize any recruiting tools? Do you use a certain mix of phone calls, campus visits, etc. to acquire targets?

tianyi7886: Since I don't play D3 and D2 anymore, I might as well give out this piece of info. I used to routinely scout all 50 states in D2 and D3. D2 and D3 players are mostly interchangeable so your goal should be to field a team of 10-11 players that are very much above average, with one or two guys in the elite category. The best way to field this kind of team is to scout more states to increase your pool of dropdowns. As for phone calls, hv, cv, etc., I'm pretty sure everyone has a pretty good feel about cost efficiency so there's no need to expound on these points.

It would cost around 20K to scout all 50 states. How would you do that every season in D3?

4/23/2014 3:21 AM
it's significantly cheaper right after signings... 
4/23/2014 7:44 AM
I don't do every state but I tend to do a lot.   This is 20 states, 5-6 are pre signings and the rest are post.   This is a from a D3 team.

Scouted States
State Available
Recruits
Cost
Alaska 18 $160
Arkansas 26 $160
Arizona 33 $193
California 210 $1,228
Colorado 71 $369
Florida 66 $343
Idaho 24 $160
Kansas 31 $161
Massachusetts 78 $406
Minnesota 65 $338
Montana 17 $160
North Carolina 81 $421
New Mexico 30 $160
Oregon 42 $218
Texas 154 $801
Utah 30 $160
Virginia 49 $254
Washington 63 $327
West Virginia 40 $208
Wyoming 9 $160
Totals 1137 $6,387
4/23/2014 8:30 AM
Thanks for the shout out, tianyi ... check is in the mail.
4/23/2014 10:30 AM
Ah, didn't think of that.
4/23/2014 11:52 AM
Its still seems steep im thinking he probably bought 20-25 states in D3 and bought nearly all 50 when it came to D2. He probably had on average somewhere around $12,000 per year. Even if im off on that and he had 15,000 every year. 50 states would be pretty substantial for D3. I remember when he was Menlo assuming it was the same Tianyi... he would reach down into KS MN NE and probably further, I can assume he may have bought all west of the Mississippi.
4/23/2014 1:24 PM
depending on the D3 conference you are in...when I was in the NAC in Allen when it was a beast (and actually longer - it lasted about 20 seasons near as I can tell now) we averaged $73,000 ($6,083 each) in postseason cash including a couple over $100k - (I guess from peeking through the reserve a team function that they are still doing ok - I haven't had an Allen team in many seasons, and the dedicated conference forum thread has been inactive for some time...)

ETA: When I was at Maine, Presque Isle I too scouted the entire country - using that postseason cash. Then I recruited with my scholarship budget...I had players from all over the place. I left for a bit, then returned to the conference and wound up at Salem St and did the same thing, going to the title game in my 4th season with the strategy. Without mega conference cash being more selective about which states and when to scout are obviously key factors, but if you can do it, the rewards are there as tianyi says.
4/23/2014 1:38 PM (edited)
Yeah university in D3 Naismith gets up there every year now. I guess its believable if you have 4 schollies and 7,000 extra. That puts you at $19,000. Still too much on FSS for my blood but im the first to admit I have no championships... Dac I see you have no Naismith team... interested in trying to dethrone University and Capital? CCIW has 5 of the last 10 Championships although they all come from one user. We could use the extra help.
4/23/2014 1:40 PM
I think literally all 50 states at D3 is just wasteful, but that comment is making me re-consider how much I normally FSS.  I'm more of a 'scout 3 states and camp on an elite player' type recruiter, but I can see the value of mass-scouting in certain situations.

It seems like the main drawback to always doing that is if you do that in a tough D3 world like Wooden..I have a hard time seeing you ending up with any players in that "elite" category.

It also helps if it's not common knowledge that you do that, because then people would know they can take any player off your list at any point.  If people just respect your 'name' and avoid battling you, I can see how mega-scouting would work out great.

4/23/2014 2:04 PM
Speaking of University....
4/23/2014 2:13 PM
Posted by halfakracka on 4/23/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Speaking of University....
Hey I fully support your efforts to dethrone UAA.  I mean they're futile, but I fully support them ;)
4/23/2014 2:15 PM
Posted by killbatman on 4/23/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I think literally all 50 states at D3 is just wasteful, but that comment is making me re-consider how much I normally FSS.  I'm more of a 'scout 3 states and camp on an elite player' type recruiter, but I can see the value of mass-scouting in certain situations.

It seems like the main drawback to always doing that is if you do that in a tough D3 world like Wooden..I have a hard time seeing you ending up with any players in that "elite" category.

It also helps if it's not common knowledge that you do that, because then people would know they can take any player off your list at any point.  If people just respect your 'name' and avoid battling you, I can see how mega-scouting would work out great.

I don' t pretend to do it as well at tiyanni  but I buy a lot of my states  about a day after signings.    I lock up and protect  my first few options and then go scouring through the entirety of D3 for  the last few players.   II tend to not spend early to protect against poaching so if I don't get hit, I have a fair amount of cash left over after signings start.

Occasionally I find a stud that some D2 team had as a backup  but normally I just find role players or players that I think have value but others don't.   I sign a fair amount of low Work Ethic guys this way.   In Wooden, I just found this guy in Florida (from California).

Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 63 Low   Perimeter 21 Low
Speed 55 High   Ball Handling 37 Low
Rebounding 28 Low   Passing 11 Average
Defense 58 High   Stamina 69 Average
Shot Blocking 11 Low   Durability 32 High
Low-post 18 High   FT Shooting Average

My guess is this guy was passed over because he is listed as a PG and will top out at like 40 BH/20PASS.    To me, I see this guy as the perfect SF in a 3-2 zone.  He's a DEF STUD 60/80/80 in D3 and if we get lucky will have a LP high enough to score occasionally.  

He's a great fit for me but I am sure some people dismissed him because of the low PASS and REB.

4/23/2014 2:39 PM
12 Next ▸
User Interview - tianyi7886 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.